Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What Tire Chains?

Snow in PNW thread got me thinking... I haven't actually put much effort in to the tire chain game.

Have some Les Schwab chains that don't fit very well on my Land Cruiser. In fact, I doubt they even fit, mostly there to comply with the "all vehicles must carry chains" rule. ("Yeah Officer, I've got chains".)

What's the Maggot Approved™ tire chain for trucks?

Seeing as we have multiple Snow Tire threads that have reached upwards of 50 pages of banter, I think we can do chains a solid.

Traction bars

Peerless Auto-Trac self tightening chains.

Search Function!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Those look like pussy passenger car chains.

Ladder pattern with traction bars or bust... for trucks.

I bought a pair of the RUD chains for our 4Runner. Still haven't used them in the like three years I've had them. I have a couple d-shackles, shackle hitch, and a recovery strap that I keep in the bag with the chains. Definitely have used those to pull other people out.

I recall my thought process was that while the RUG chains aren't the gnarliest available (e.g. v-bars or whatever), they can be installed without moving the truck and are generally easier to use, while still providing probably more traction than I should reasonably need.
    Last edited by LightRanger; 12-10-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Those look like pussy passenger car chains.

Ladder pattern with traction bars or bust... for trucks.
    That could be. They've worked well for me, and they make them to fit 35 inch tires. You may want something burlier for a 1 ton with a giant camper, but I bet they would be more than sufficient for an LC.

Second ladder pattern with traction bars. If you're gonna chain up, might as well have real chains.

Personally, I've got cheap Wal-mart ones and they've worked really well. Main use has been in the Bitterroot where the name of the game is drive until you get stuck, dig out and turn around, start skiing.

Edit: mine have been used for a CR-V
    It sucks to suck.

i've got Les Schwab chains that fit, but never used them

and i've only got two...was thinking maybe four is a better idea since, if it becomes chain time for a 4wd w/ snows, it's probably snowy armageddon

Here's the WSDOT recommended list, (or maybe minimum required list).
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 4.18.06 PM.png
Views: 1057
Size:  229.9 KB
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

That could be. They've worked well for me, and they make them to fit 35 inch tires. You may want something burlier for a 1 ton with a giant camper, but I bet they would be more than sufficient for an LC.
    Honestly it'd be the opposite. The big dumb diesel with giant slide-in is far more likely to need chains (due to WA state chain rules regarding GVW and the fact that it's not an ideal rig to take "off road") than the LC. If I'm putting chains on the LC it's probably to do something stupid like drive up an unplowed road with deep snow. Those auto-trac chains seem like they'd be great for the truck.

Any hints on brands/designs for the really gnarly traction chains? Need to fit 35" tires.

They've worked well for me, and they make them to fit 35 inch tires.
    They don't... only 33s

Yeah that's the "approved alternatives" list.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Here's the WSDOT recommended list, (or maybe minimum required list).
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 4.18.06 PM.png
Views: 1057
Size:  229.9 KB
    That just baffles me. I fail to see how an "auto-sock" is going to give me better traction than a Snow tire.

Same thoughts Woody. Looked at autosocks but figured my studded tires would chew them up if I actually put them on. Autosocks would have been purely to say "I have them." If you're actually gonna put them on, I'd look at whatever those smart guys seem to be agreeing on above.

Speaking of actually putting them on, any of you with campers and tipping scales just over 10k gvwr actually stop to chain up when the sign says so?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    That just baffles me. I fail to see how an "auto-sock" is going to give me better traction than a Snow tire.
    For me, this would be the: look for the cheapest and lightest and smallest and store in a deep well of my trunk list.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Consumer reports did a test. I think it was a wash with a dedicated snow tire. Which makes the law stupid AF.

Honestly it'd be the opposite. The big dumb diesel with giant slide-in is far more likely to need chains (due to WA state chain rules regarding GVW and the fact that it's not an ideal rig to take "off road") than the LC. If I'm putting chains on the LC it's probably to do something stupid like drive up an unplowed road with deep snow. Those auto-trac chains seem like they'd be great for the truck.

Any hints on brands/designs for the really gnarly traction chains? Need to fit 35" tires.

They don't... only 33s

Ah, sorry, I know someone who has run them in their biggest size on 285/75-17's, which I guess are actually a 34 inch tire. Brain fart.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Speaking of actually putting them on, any of you with campers and tipping scales just over 10k gvwr actually stop to chain up when the sign says so?
    No, I just risk it. I feel like my truck is significantly better in the snow with the camper on it due to the weight and corresponding traction (as long as it's not on a really soft base or something dumb.) But if they are stepping up enforcement I will likely chain up when required, at least on Snoqualmie.

What Tire Chains?

I’ve got those for my 4Runner. Only needed them a few times, but no complaints from me...and I drive up the side of Hwy 2 that has more idiots per mile than where LWS does.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

RUD chains are pretty popular among the serious off road crowd.

https://chainstop.com/truck-tire-chains/grip

Chains are for wimps... just stuff a floor mat under your tire if you get stuck..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I have couple of of un-needed pairs sitting in the garage from previous vehicles that are free to a good home in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Chains are for wimps... just stuff a floor mat under your tire if you get stuck..
    Don't you live in the South? Pretty sure there's thousands of hours on Youtube of Southerners wrecking their cars in an inch of slush.

What ever chains you go with, most should only use them to get out of a situation, not further into one

What Tire Chains?

I’m not a fan of v-bars on snow covered pavement. Sure they grip but they give a much rougher ride than non v-bar.
    Worked on Donner Summit back in the early 90’s, yeah I’m old, when they smashed all their snow totals. I was “highly essential personnel “ so I had a badge that let me through the closure at truckee no matter what. I ran ladder chains on all fours. Aired down the tires to put them on. Made them as tight as possible then used mini tie downs as tensioners. Aired the tires back up. This allowed me to go up to 60mph on snow covered roads with no issues. Crazy fun mobbing up a vacant I-80 with a foot+ of snow on the road in a blizzard with Tool blaring on the radio. Never even hinted at being stuck.
    I’ve ran v-bars and they are awesome for off road use. The best off road chains I’ve used for severe conditions are made by Pewag. https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains.../PWE3231S.html
    Never broke a pair or got stuck with them on.
    I rarely run chains now and just cary them mainly for show at check locations. Most of my use is at icy/snowy boat ramps during hunting season.