Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAgain View Post
    A heat-exchanger pot is a nice if you don't want to go JB.

https://sectionhiker.com/olicamp-har...eat-exchanger/
    Olicamp stove and that pot are on the list.

I also have been using JetBoil for years now, though it is a bit biased, it is the best one for me.

Backpacking stoves?

I decided to get another BRS and a 750ml titanium pot for her. At around 150g for both, it’s certainly ultra-light.

If she really gets into backpacking and wants something different in a few years, she/we can upgrade.

Picked up a jetboil cheap via REI. The boil speed is ludicrous. Not the smallest but fits well in my pack and having coffee in under 2 minutes with a via packet is faster than my real kitchen. I took a video to send to my brother - 8 Oz in under 50 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    Picked up a jetboil cheap via REI. The boil speed is ludicrous. Not the smallest but fits well in my pack and having coffee in under 2 minutes with a via packet is faster than my real kitchen. I took a video to send to my brother - 8 Oz in under 50 seconds.

Why is everyone in a hurry when cooking in the woods?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    COFFEE!!

Alcohol beercan stove and MSR espresso maker is the bomb for real coffee. Can't beat the weight to BTU ratio either. Just tie a fly or two, or set up the bedroll while waiting.
    I usually just default to my old MSR whisperlight int. for backpacking for boiling water quickly. Better newer option out there, but no need to throw out what works yet. But serious about the coffee method above. Those little espresso makers don't fit on a proper stove, and alcohol travels easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post

woods? I’m a chemist for ANTIFA.

MSR Reactor and Windburner use the same radiant burner/heat exchanger pot technology. AFAICT, Windburner is MSR's attempt to compete directly with JetBoil with the backpacker market. Reactor is marketed as a mountaineering stove for melting snow and boiling water, even in very windy conditions, which it does better than everything else. Both outperform all JB models in windy conditions. No contest in strong or swirling winds. JBs simmer better. Reactor has no simmer mode. Windburner can be dialed down to sorta simmer. We carry a Reactor for all trips, usually with the small 1L pot. The big/rare 2.5L pot is the snowmelting champion. The OG 1.7L pot is the best all-rounder.

For high lakes fishing trips, we got a MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe, which is getting high marks for simmering and very good wind performance for a stand alone stove (vs. shielded stove/pot combos). For most trips, we'll carry both the PR Deluxe and a Reactor 1.0L combo until and unless I'm sold on the PR Deluxe performance in windy conditions. We'll be mating the PR Deluxe with a Bank's Fry-Bake pan, with which the NOLS mags are familiar.

I now have the pocket rocket deluxe which ticks all my boxes. Use an MSR titan kettle. Used one of the BRS3000 for a few years, super light, bad simmer and horrible quality control, but super light. Had the pot supports heat up and get all wacky. Everything you wanted to know about stoves. https://backpackinglight.com/upright...nd-gear-guide/

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

How much more fuel do you use with the little stoves with no wind protection? We've been using an MSR Whisperlite Uni with the canister attachment the last three years. The thing is a tank but with the old school aluminum foilish shield we average 1 canister for 5 nights/6 day backpack. Sometimes we have to switch to a fresh canister to finish the week sometimes not. That includes heating enough water to fill two or three big thermomugs with coffee since both the wife and I like to sip coffee all day.

We recently picked up a Soto Amicus and the thing is tiny and light, the little igniter is super convenient . Took it car camping and it is pretty sweet for boil or simmer or anything in between but performance in the wind is definitely not as good as a wrapped pot with a remote stove. We obviously bought it to shed weight, and hopefully we can get away with just using 2 canisters in a week so we aren't carrying additional fuel.

What is the over/under on protected stoves vs unprotected increased fuel use verses days on the trail? We use a pretty big titanium pot to feed the 4 of us. We usually emerge with a barely used or full 2nd canister. I'm assuming we will be good. I'm over the hassle and weight of the MSR.

A few summers ago I made a Fancee Feast alcohol stove (cat food can and tomato sauce can) to go along with my BRS3000. I love how quiet the alcohol stove is and 6 minutes vs 4 minutes to get to a boil is not a big deal. I also know how much fuel to bring and don't have to guess like the canisters.

Well, I've been looking for something that my wife and I can use to actually cook on while bike touring and I was in the consignment section of my local outdoor shop yesterday when I came across a Trangia 25-3 set for $37.50. With the $6+ I had in credit, I couldn't turn it down. I guess I'll be moving from instant and french press to pour over at camp now. I'd like to find a cheap kettle and cutting board/strainer to complete the set.

I've been using a Optimus Crux which is pretty tiny for 15ish years now. On trips where I'm boiling up to a litre of water twice a day, one of the 4oz canisters lasts 7 - 10 days. It definitely goes through fuel faster than my Primus Lite (similar wind-protected design to a Jetboil), but I'm rarely finishing the canister either way. At this point the Optimus Crux comes on most trips with up to a week between resupplies. Then the Primus Lite comes in the winter/spring (I want the fuel efficiency when melting snow), and on longer trips where I want to get fancier with the cooking (I find it simmers better). If I think I'm going to be pushing the limits of the fuel I'm carrying, I'll have a couple of meals like couscous that can be cold soaked if needed rather than carrying a second canister.

The key thing if you want to save fuel is to keep the flame pretty low rather than cranking the thing on full blast. It'll take a bit longer to boil, but it's much more efficient.