Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Occlude the IJ and this is supposed to "pressurize" the cerebral vasculature to reduce brain movement. What could go wrong?
    They claim that there have been no known adverse events during clinical trials that have recorded over 500,000 head impacts. The collar is not that tight so the absolute increase in cerebral pressure is probably far below anything that could increase risk for stroke, etc. They seem to have some solid research behind the product and it's encouraging to see someone trying to innovate a new solution to this problem. There's no pricing info yet but it's a simple device and probably won't be very expensive

I kept scrolling thru the q30 site looking forward where they laid out the working principle.

It has been recently proposed that intracranial volume being less than skull volume allows the brain to be to be mobile inside the skull. In the presence of head trauma the brain may move relative to, and collide with, the skull (“rattle”) or be internally deformed by pressure waves (“slosh”), resulting in traumatic brain injury. Both mechanisms can be mitigated, or eliminated by increasing the intra-cranial compartment volume, forcing all parts of the brain and skull to move as a unit. In addition, if the intracranial volume fills the skull, the brain will conduct blast energy waves through with minimal energy absorption by the brain, avoiding tissue displacement and shear. It has been proposed that a way to expand the intracranial volume is to fill it with venous blood. Since the brain blood flow is large, a small degree of resistance to drainage will quickly fill the cerebrovascular compliance. The major route of venous drainage in humans is via the internal jugular veins (IJV). In contrast, most quadrupeds have their head at near heart level and the vertebral venous plexi are the main venous outflow conduits (Lavoie et al., 2008). Therefore, studies of the effects of jugular venous compression on brain blood flow and intracranial blood distribution must be performed in humans.
    Aims of the study
    Our aim was to study the effects of venous backpressure implemented via jugular vein
    Is there a reason they buried it in the article pdf?

So it's a compression sock for your neck?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Is there a reason they buried it in the article pdf?
    No idea. Maybe they thought that it was too technical for Joe Public. This video on their site explains the principle some:

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    So it's a compression sock for your neck?
    More of a strap than a sock.

Thx for the vid. I tend to focus on written content.

I’ll try to be open minded on their idea. Since the device itself is pretty simple, I’ll get a $49.99 Amazon clone & report back

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Since the device itself is pretty simple, I’ll get a $49.99 Amazon clone & report back
    Hah, totally. The principle is simple as hell and I don't see an obvious way that it could cause unintended problems. If you wore one for inbounds skiing no one would ever know you even had it on, and you probably wouldn't even notice it after wearing it for a bit.

This seems like a device for risk-averse erotic asphyxiation fans. "All the endorphins of a blood choke, none of the risk of actually killing yourself!"

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This seems like a device for risk-averse erotic asphyxiation fans. "All the endorphins of a blood choke, none of the risk of actually killing yourself!"
    Sounds like you’re ready to buy