Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunderBoy View Post
    That there is like the trifecta of douchiness. Manbun, capris, and DPS. The Range Rover is pretty douchey too, but it is a quality vehicle, so he gets a pass on that one.

Range Rover quality? Doesn't that belong in the words that don't go together thread?
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Range Rover quality? Doesn't that belong in the words that don't go together thread?
    Yah, I've probably watched too much of this guy:

With the wide skis such as these, is there an inherent issue when the ski cools down that it's more likely to go concave than a narrower ski?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

"skis like it's on rails."

Wait, what? Range Rover and quality in the same sentance?

That's pretty bad. To be clear I wasn't questioning you and got no skin in the game. I didn't even want to keep the Apostle - it was that underwhelming. Just trying to be fair to RMU.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    That's pretty bad. To be clear I wasn't questioning you and got no skin in the game. I didn't even want to keep the Apostle - it was that underwhelming. Just trying to be fair to RMU.
    No offense taken. Just wanted to be clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

In my experience, at least half the newbie 'indy' ski makers have no quality control and turn out mostly shit. A good pair seems more the exception than the rule. Quality is expensive, R&D is expensive, prototyping is expensive. For better or worse, little startups in a market with already thin margins can't come up with the capitol and if they do, it's a hudge gamble. There's also the bro-bra saturation issue. Dudes think it's cool to start a ski company and have no idea what they're doing from either a business or engineering standpoint. Those that can turn out quality might stick around to become the true sought after 'boutique brands'.

As for RMU, I wasn't impressed. +1 they're one of the only indies that actually figured how to put metal in a ski, not sure if they're still offering that. Still too much sidecut, weird shapes. They were hooky as hell to me too. Finish was also spotty. Also heard nothing good about the management. Not really surprised by this story.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    +1 they're one of the only indies that actually figured how to put metal in a ski, not sure if they're still offering that.
    By paying somebody else to make them?

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    . Still too much sidecut, weird shapes. They were hooky as hell to me too. Finish was also spotty. Also heard nothing good about the management. Not really surprised by this story.
    Never understood my North Shore's .... just couldn't make sense of how I was supposed to ski those things. Maybe that's just my limits as a skier but I've skied a lot of skis and it's usually pretty darn easy to figure out what a ski wants from me. Did a few days on some JJ's a few years back for example. Not my favourite ski but it was pretty obvious what those skis wanted from me. I skied in such a way as to optimize their performance and voila, loads of fun. The North Shore's... not so much. Weird shape indeed. Weirdness all around.

This thread was a great reminder that TGR is full of a bunch of crusty washed up grade D high school race enthusiasts who spend more time tuning their skis than skiing.
    I've skied apostle, north shore, and professor. All great skis. Apostle actually has years of quality reviews.
    They also didn't make the carbon apostle until 2014, so the exaggeration meter may need to be turned down. You also didn't pay for anything. If you want a warranty, go buy some skis with dollars.

also, DPS=douchey power skis.......or in the northwest, DPS=I'm a skier! wait I'm actually a climber who wants to get into skimo, how many vert did you get today?

Uh oh. One of the dentists got their feelings hurt.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdad View Post
    This thread was a great reminder that TGR is full of a bunch of crusty washed up grade D high school race enthusiasts who spend more time tuning their skis than skiing.
    I've skied apostle, north shore, and professor. All great skis. Apostle actually has years of quality reviews.
    They also didn't make the carbon apostle until 2014, so the exaggeration meter may need to be turned down. You also didn't pay for anything. If you want a warranty, go buy some skis with dollars.
    so you condone how RMU handled this situation?

does this place quickly bandwagon and pile on? of course but those skis + how they didn't stand by them = a well deserved to RMU imho

your post reads as someone who's pissed that the GS resale value of their RMU quiver just took a huuuge hit.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdad View Post
    Wrong on all counts.
    "These are 2011 model Carbon Apostles. " Straight out of Mike, the owners, mouth. That was part of his excuse for not warrantying them.
    If their plan was to dump old defective skis and call it a prize, they should have said so.
    As has been said, if you win a car on the Price is Right, you expect it to run.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Those bases looked fucking terrible to me but in a meter of blower everything skied pretty good!

In any case I hadn't seen that review and I wasn't gona out ya

I wonder why people wana buy hand made skis when you can get something made better by a machine?

I actualy skied with that RMU rep out at Hankin as part of a media group from whistler after which Vince wrote the piece in The Peak
    All skis are handmade. Some better than others. It's usually the finishing process that is automated.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Those bases looked fucking terrible to me but in a meter of blower everything skied pretty good!

In any case I hadn't seen that review and I wasn't gona out ya

I wonder why people wana buy hand made skis when you can get something made better by a machine?

I actualy skied with that RMU rep out at Hankin as part of a media group from whistler after which Vince wrote the piece in The Peak
    9/10 times handmade skis are better. They are more authentic and overall made with a higher quality. The reason handmade skis are so popular is because it's harder for anything wrong to happen to the skis since there are people looking over the process the entire time. Think about it this way. Why would someone want to buy a bag for instance that is handmade versus a bag that is made in a random factory that you bought at Walmart. Quality. What is made by hand, if the person knows what they are doing, always produces a higher quality and better finished result than something built by machines.

^^^Interesting luddite perspective.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

yeah right maybe if they picked up the empties and cleared away the pizza cartons before laying up those skis they would have flat bases eh?

You are certianly welcome to but I don't buy the hand made in america thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ^^^Interesting luddite perspective.

Yeah. Let's take cars, just to use an example. Sorry, the modern robot made cars sure have a lot less defects than the older models that had more humans with their fingers in the pie.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    or maybe the redundancy thread.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Can you post a pic of the topsheet? I did a little work for RMU, and have seen some skis with bases that were not flat, but nothing ever that egregious. I have a pic of me skiing the first set of carbon apostle demos, which was in 2014, so I'm not sure what Mike is talking about.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zennan View Post
    9/10 times handmade skis are better. They are more authentic and overall made with a higher quality. The reason handmade skis are so popular is because it's harder for anything wrong to happen to the skis since there are people looking over the process the entire time. Think about it this way. Why would someone want to buy a bag for instance that is handmade versus a bag that is made in a random factory that you bought at Walmart. Quality. What is made by hand, if the person knows what they are doing, always produces a higher quality and better finished result than something built by machines.
    I disagree. Handmade skis generally suffer from quality control issues and the manufacturing tech is far less advanced.

Paying a premium for an artisanal hand bag is different than artisanal skis... because, a fucking hand bag works the same even if it has a misaligned weave.

But, 10/10 bros agree that having custom top sheet graphics and poorly laid up soild wood cores greatly improves bro status... second only to the man bun.

keep in mind, the best small ski companies in north america use machines to achieve the quality finish and reproducibility that they are able to achieve... and even the most jankey ass peice of shit will ski awesome in the pow pow
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Can you post a pic of the topsheet? I did a little work for RMU, and have seen some skis with bases that were not flat, but nothing ever that egregious. I have a pic of me skiing the first set of carbon apostle demos, which was in 2014, so I'm not sure what Mike is talking about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4891.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	199552
    Actually, the first time I called, I talked to someone else who said they were 2011 models after I described the top sheet.