Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    And agree that folks in for the full 6 month hike aren't going to take on an extra 3 pounds for a gun they'll never need and is of zero use for any other scenarios. Our scouts brought extra stuff because they're preparing for Philmont out west. They will have bear spray there for sure. But probably not hatchets and definitely no guns. Again though, bears are the threat, not some random psycho when it comes to a group of 12 older teens and pretty fit adult males.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

A blowgun with curare tipped darts is much lighter than a handgun and can double as an effective squirrel hunting tool. You can eat animals paralyzed by curare, as it is not absorbed in the digestive system.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    Wrong again my little maggot wife stalking friend.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/learn/manag...arm_policy.htm
    Thanks, Obama!!!!
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    A blowgun with curare tipped darts is much lighter than a handgun and can double as an effective squirrel hunting tool. You can eat animals paralyzed by curare, as it is not absorbed in the digestive system.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Thank you!
    It would be a very traditional weapon to use on the AT as the Cherokee used them extensively.

https://exarc.net/issue-2013-3/at/hu...guns-and-darts

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    It would be a very traditional weapon to use on the AT as the Cherokee used them extensively.

https://exarc.net/issue-2013-3/at/hu...guns-and-darts
    No curare or other poisons it says. Still, I learned something, I had no idea they used blowguns in North America.

In other news, Gunfags gonna Gunfag.

Interesting choice of words. Appears you don't much care for the pro-firearm or the LGBTQ+ community. Shame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	471.5 KB 
ID:	282493

They don't look like real gays.

So gays have to fit a stereotype?

Everyone's a stereotype Kyle. Me, you, iceman.

What happens to gays that have no arms?

Do they use their feet?
    watch out for snakes

New meaning to the right to arm bears.

OP. know its not what you want to see - this one scared the shit outta me. I remember it vividly being in the newspaper can't believe its been 10+ years.. Crazy fuckin world and I remember thinking being a girl would suck in that you just can't do stuff anymore.

Having said that, I tip my hat to your daughter. the southern terminus of the AP is notouriusly difficult and a lotta people quit after a day or two. extermely hilly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...redith_Emerson
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    an extra 3 pounds for a gun
    I don't know much about guns but have been following a couple threads on this, and there is a lot of representation in the mid 20 ounce and heavier pistol. For research on ultralight options, I took a quick look around and found a Taurus 380 for 10 ounces.....with a laser! That's an UL AF 2-legged stopper.

more than a few self-declared "lawful gun owners" advocating for disregarding the law(s) because they don't suit them. interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLanTheman View Post
    Interesting choice of words. Appears you don't much care for the pro-firearm or the LGBTQ+ community. Shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleLanTheman View Post
    So gays have to fit a stereotype?
    Lighten up Francis.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

What a tragedy. Sorry OP that your daughter has to deal with this horrific event.

One of my top go to accoutrements when hiking, cycling, fishing and visiting National Parks... https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    more than a few self-declared "lawful gun owners" advocating for disregarding the law(s) because they don't suit them. interesting.
    Real gangsters ain't got time for laws son.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Shotgun is a pretty good deterrent to a knife attack.

Ask any LEO.

Tasers do not always work on on drug fueled aggressors. Pepper spray, when delivered to the face, nearly always blinds or turns away a dosed attacker.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

^^^Good call, those shorts are definitely a capital offense..

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    I don't know much about guns but have been following a couple threads on this, and there is a lot of representation in the mid 20 ounce and heavier pistol. For research on ultralight options, I took a quick look around and found a Taurus 380 for 10 ounces.....with a laser! That's an UL AF 2-legged stopper.
    A 380s pretty worthless against a bear or moose.

Redhawk Alaskan is the only choice.

OP Sorry your kid had to deal with this and glad nothing more happened to her. Too close for comfort indeed.

Also too bad this thread had to degenerate into a rah, rah for guns. Fuck guns.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Also too bad this thread had to degenerate into a rah, rah for guns. Fuck guns.
    +1.. OP and his daughter DGAF about armchair long trail hikers here recommending illegal arms carry.

Let's keep the talk about shooting bears and nut cases over in the gun thread
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...67#post5671267

A woman alone on the AT being at risk is no different than the risk of being a woman alone period.* Don't discourage your daughters from doing the AT or anything short of backpacking in Afghanistan. My son's gf and her bff were traveling together in Ecuador. They did safety research, seems to be a very safe country, but they did mention that women in tour groups are more at risk than independent travelers. I don't know why, maybe criminals think people who seek the security of a tour are less likely to be alert and less able to defend themselves. (That didn't keep her father from worrying about her.)

For you gun self-defense nuts--if you're so afraid of going out in the world unarmed, especially in a place as benign as the AT you should probably just bar your windows, triple lock your doors and stay home. Also, if you're open carrying on the AT you will miss one of the best parts--the conversations with other hikers--because I guarantee you that no one will want to get near you and other hikers will certainly report you to LE if you're not in a legal place.

*And women are at far more risk from an intimate partner than from a stranger.