Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Was in a hurry to meet a group for a mtb ride now so just skied down the melting road in disgrace

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As of this morning, W aspects at Alta were pretty rough. Crusted up. NE skied great - I did a ballroom lap. E looked good, too. Baldy shoulder looked like a lot of tracks, but still looked like some fun soft chop although guy in the parking lot said it was rocky at the bottom.

The main gut up Collins is pretty fun - packed down, cold + dry, little worry about rocks until the bottom.

Saw your turns, tBatt, they were pretty sick.

Heard some sad news on the UT BC Ski facebook group. RIP Farmer Dave. Shoulda spooned my tracks on WR instead of 8s.

Damn, that sucks. The ultimate Alta local.

Man. That’s a big hit. Glad they did that video last year with him. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Rode many a first spin Wildcat chair with the good Farmer. His signature was excellent.

Ugh, just saw the alert about a fatal crash at Tanners. Pure speculation, but seems likely it was Oktoberfest related based on timing. Sad.

The Farmer....

A life well lived!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

RIP Farmer Dave.

Name:  Image1634521185.695036.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  22.2 KB

I remember reading an article in Powder in the 90s about powder preservation and spooning tracks in Alta. Focus is the article was on the farmer, and it’s always stuck with me. Guy was an all time great guy, rode the bus every day, always stoked to ski. Recently heard a great story about him kayaking little cottonwood creek all the way to highland and fort union. Apparently it was a regular thing for him when the creek was flowing high. During the recent storm I suggested getting him up canyon to ski wildcat, but apparently he couldn’t even get out of bed. Happened really fast. There’s a line lookers right of wildcat after cresting waterfall, that I’m going to petition to the brass gets named after him as he’d always ski it on storm days. RIP to an absolute legend and great guy!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

One of the better op-eds I've read on canyon congestion and it's proposed "solutions:"

https://sltrib.pressreader.com/article/6785021847353400

In case you needed any further evidence that overcrowding and congestion in Salt Lake City’s canyons isn’t going to solve itself, consider Snowbird Resort’s new “Fast Tracks” program, which allows purchasers to cut ahead of other ticket holders when their lift lines get too long. They have taken the problem of overcrowding and turned it into a profit opportunity.

Keep that in mind when you’re considering the expensive new proposals to increase access and reduce traffic in the Canyons, like the $400 million taxpayer-financed gondola up Little Cottonwood Canyon or $500 million to add additional traffic lanes. While these proposals might speed travelers into the canyon, they do not solve the fundamental problem of overcrowding once travelers get to the top.

It is no wonder that Snowbird and other resorts are pushing these plans. More travelers in the canyons mean more crowded trails and slopes, longer lines for you and me, but more profits for them. And Utah residents would pay for it twice: first through our taxes and a second time at the ticket office.

Instead of new infrastructure subsidies that ultimately benefit private businesses in the canyons without solving the basic problem, the right approach to overcrowding and congestion is to impose user fees — tolls or congestion charges — during peak periods.

The fees should reflect residency — the fact that local users pay taxes to maintain the infrastructure. They should vary based on demand and occupancy, so they are implemented rarely, only when congestion and overcrowding is likely. And they should be revenue neutral, reducing dollar for dollar taxes Utahns would otherwise pay to maintain public roads.

Utah already implements a seamless occupancy and demand-driven toll system on Route 15. Millcreek Canyon requires a $5 fee for visitors, which reduces congestion and helps fund maintenance in the canyon. UDOT has already identified several practical methods of open road tolling, which collect tolls without requiring vehicles to stop. During certain hours on weekends, holidays, powder days or other peak days in foliage season, drivers would pay a modest toll. Public transportation would be excluded, carpools could get a discount, as could Utah residents.

While we all dread the idea of raising the costs on travelers into the canyons, the reality is that we are already paying for it every minute we are struggling to find parking at a resort or a trailhead. We are paying for it in taxes every time UDOT plows SR 190 or SR 210 or bombs an avalanche path. And we are paying for it at the destination resorts in new parking fees, higher ticket prices, or new “Fast Track” programs designed to monetize overcrowding.

Ask yourself, is it better to pay these costs in parking fees and ticket prices to the owners of a resort, or instead to the state in return for lower taxes?

There are real benefits to reducing overcrowding and congestion in the canyons: environmental benefits from less pollution and improved air quality; more solitude on the trails and slopes; less wear and tear on hard-to-maintain infrastructure; and less time wasted idling in traffic, circling parking lots, or standing in line. Those benefits, however, won’t emerge from costly new infrastructure projects whose primary effect is to inject more people into the top of the canyons.

Canyon resorts do not have an incentive solve this problem themselves; if it were not so crowded people wouldn’t be willing to pay quite so much to cut the line or park closer to the lift. Tolling the canyons is the only solution that solves the overcrowding problem at the lowest cost to Utah residents.

Adam Looney is executive director of the Marriner S. Eccles Institute for Economics and Quantitative Analysis at the David Eccles School of Business, University of Utah. Opinions expressed here are his own and not necessarily those of the University of Utah.

Up Albion Down Collins last night.

Pretty stout crust on E and W facing terrain. Strong winds and significant snowfall forecasted over the next 24 hours. Will be interesting to see how it all holds together. Bouy pop for the 25th?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4722.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	389419

Name:	IMG_4724.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	389420

Name:	IMG_4729.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	451.1 KB 
ID:	389421

Name:	IMG_4735.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	389430

Name:	IMG_4731.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	389422

Name:	IMG_4739.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	443.9 KB 
ID:	389423

^ You guys need to stop with the ugly scenery and cold... its DESERT season!!!

Made the journey out to Washer Woman Tower and Monster Tower, quite a mind blowing area of the I in S- highly suggested! Better be for 4 hrs of RT 4x4 driving. Managed to get the kiddo to bed Saturday night and got home to do the midnight feeding Sunday!

Name:	PXL_20211017_181836497.MP.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	331.8 KB 
ID:	389436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211017_203634796.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	389437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211017_204303731.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	542.0 KB 
ID:	389438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211017_231452023.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	389439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211017_232001048.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	389440
    You took too much man, too much, too much

I think this was covered in the previous thread, but can't remember. GMD Saloon will be closed to the general public (permanently? Lone Star to the white courtesy phone). But the cafeteria will be open till 6 with beers and pizza. Totally understand, hotel guests have no place to hang out that isn't mobbed with Tony Calamari and the bros, or overrun with the DIY childcare that's common up there, but will be a bummer to not be able to go watch a game with some nachos and pizza.

More snow coming, hoping it pushes the elk down and I can fill this tag before ski season starts.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

^^^ confirmed, and more bar seating installed in the cafe.

Saloon will likely be open after 6 on tuesdays so Lonestar can MC trivia/open mic nights

Name:	IMG_4685.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	389448

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Totally understand, hotel guests have no place to hang out that isn't mobbed with Tony Calamari and the bros
    weeellll.... he was a hotel guest

Like tB said, cafe staying open later and with more food options. the new bar inside is pretty neat. also new fireplaces out on the patio as of March. I believe there are still plans to do the "day room" thing where a group of friends and family can rent a room for the day and also have access to the saloon. VIP acce$$!!

Hopefully tomorrow will finalize a plan for Tuesday nights open to the public, probably something like 7-10:30. I've been writing down ideas for trivia since March 2020!!

RIP Farmer Dave. Just saw Alta post of his passing. A life weeeelllll lived, I’d say.

Just a shout out to skifishbum. My college kid finally stopped over at his place to get his ON3Ps remounted, which SFB set him up for. Very cool, total mag hookup. Props.

Also needed to get a screw for a brake for his third ski. Yes, he has a pair of skis that are actually 3 skis, cause he lost one ski from the first pair. Yes, they are Marksman which are asymmetrical so it's funnier. Yes the topsheets are different, also humorous. Yes, SFB's shop gave him a load of shit, which he thought was pretty cool. I also enjoyed it when he told me the story.

Shop is mounting them up in the like 2 days. That's some service man.

Thanks Skifishbum.

Also, to everyone, if you see some college kid ripping around out there on mismatched Marksman, I'll buy you a beer if you give him shit.

What'll you give me if I pull his pass?
    Or at least give him a scare...
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 10-18-2021 at 06:47 PM.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

That'd be worth a lot of beer...

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    What'll you give me if I pull his pass, EWG?
    Or at least give him a scare...
    I think maybe we could pull this off, perhaps tBatt and I get him to Funland and then an unexpected after hours visit from ASP
    Last edited by Lone Star; 01-19-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Has anyone ever gone to the swap at the fair grounds? I need a few things and want to avoid the PC chaos if a viable option exists.

Tomorrow SR210 in AM:

There's danger on the edge of town
    Ride the King's Highway, baby
    Weird scenes inside the gold mine
    Ride the highway west, baby
    Ride the snake, ride the snake
    To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
    The snake, he's long, seven miles
    Ride the snake
    He's old and his skin is cold
    The west is the best
    The west is the best
    Get here and we'll do the rest
    The blue bus is calling us
    The blue bus is calling us
    Driver, where you taking us?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Does anyone have a hook up for discounted rates at either GMD, Snowpine or Rustler? Right now I am booked at GMD 01/09-14 with an IKON discount. Looking to do better.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    RIP Farmer Dave. Just saw Alta post of his passing. A life weeeelllll lived, I’d say.
    Came in here for preseason stoke & get traffic, GMD bar closed, & Farmer Dave passed.

Damn, guess you cant go home again