Page 139 of 197 FirstFirst ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,475 of 4901
    I think i saw one on the emtb forums, unassembled. It does present the risk of screwing something up, im relatively competent on a wrench but still def in the hack category, but it looked pretty straightforward. I think the yt algorythym then took me to a chinese mini jeep that needed assembly(maybe that was on a thread here) and that had a number of tests, rewelding, fabricating. The fat bike should just bolt together i'd think. A lot of it i think you'll revisit when you're cleaning at some point

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I'd take it unassembled. That would save me from having to disassemble it before I assembled it myself. I don't trust factory workers to prep my bikes correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by harveymushman View Post
    I'd take it unassembled. That would save me from having to disassemble it before I assembled it myself. I don't trust factory workers to prep my bikes correctly.
    While I respect it, that thought has never crossed my mind.
    Are you an engineer?

No, just a former factory World Cup team's bicycle mechanic. I like to race prep all my bikes for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Is there an eMTB-specific advocacy group in the US?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    (late reply)

People for Bikes is essentially the industry's ebike advocacy group these days, but they're not emtb specific by any means though. From what I've seen, their advocacy is mostly geared towards legislative change (getting legislation on the books that defines ebikes as bicycles and sets out the 3 classes of ebikes).

^^

Not allowing class 1’s on paved multi use trails like the Pope Baldwin is just dumb.

I'm kicking tires on a commuter e-bike, round trip will be 18 miles daily (9 miles each way) almost all on a paved bike path with a decent amount of hilly terrain and I will have a small child with me 2-4 days per week.

I'm looking at Rad right now and am pretty much sold, what other options should I consider?

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    I'm kicking tires on a commuter e-bike, round trip will be 18 miles daily (9 miles each way) almost all on a paved bike path with a decent amount of hilly terrain and I will have a small child with me 2-4 days per week.

I'm looking at Rad right now and am pretty much sold, what other options should I consider?
    We ended up with an xtracycle. Wanted the cargo space, which will also work to haul kids when they're a little older. Kids currently get hauled in a trailer behind it, but the bike came with everything to convert the cargo rack into kid seats.

Considered the Rad and various other hub drive options. They're quite a bit cheaper, but the cost savings seems fairly apparent - everything on them is just kinda shitty. General consensus online was that mid-drives handle loads and hilly terrain better, but I dunno, I've only ridden hub driven bikes a little bit.

So far the xtracycle has been great. We use it all the time, usually with 2 kids in a trailer behind it. Goes up the 500' vert hill to our house without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    (late reply)

People for Bikes is essentially the industry's ebike advocacy group these days, but they're not emtb specific by any means though. From what I've seen, their advocacy is mostly geared towards legislative change (getting legislation on the books that defines ebikes as bicycles and sets out the 3 classes of ebikes).
    Thank you sir!
    sproing!

Electric Bike Thread

You’ll definitely want one next year, when they start Construction on the roundabout.

I don’t know much about cargo bikes.
    But there’s a new bike company in Vail with a couple interesting bikes.

https://quietkat.com/collections/qui...a-cargo-e-bike

This is pretty close to what I want, but it’s a pig at 70 lbs.

https://quietkat.com/collections/qui...ts/jeep-e-bike

I’d like a slimmed down class 1 version with 4” tires under 50lbs.

I wonder how long tires will last on a bike that weight and with that much torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    You’ll definitely want one next year, when they start Construction on the roundabout.
    That is the exact reason why I am shopping right now, lol

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    We ended up with an xtracycle. Wanted the cargo space, which will also work to haul kids when they're a little older. Kids currently get hauled in a trailer behind it, but the bike came with everything to convert the cargo rack into kid seats.

Considered the Rad and various other hub drive options. They're quite a bit cheaper, but the cost savings seems fairly apparent - everything on them is just kinda shitty. General consensus online was that mid-drives handle loads and hilly terrain better, but I dunno, I've only ridden hub driven bikes a little bit.

So far the xtracycle has been great. We use it all the time, usually with 2 kids in a trailer behind it. Goes up the 500' vert hill to our house without issue.
    Nice, I'll look into that brand

Also check out Tern bikes. I test-rode a Rad and it was fairly clear to me that they had to cut a lot of corners to bring in an e-cargo bike at the price point. The motor cuts in and out, rather than spooling on power. Mechanical disc brakes that are a bitch to adjust instead of hydraulics. The ride was fine, and ebikes generally feel cool, but when rode against others (that admittedly cost 2-3x as much), it was clear what you were getting for your money.

I just bought a Tern GSD, which was super goddamned expensive but it's also super awesome. Bosch cargo motor, 450lb capacity (rider and stuff), excellent brakes, and lots of well thought-out little details.

If you make it out to the front range much, Front Range Cargo Bikes only deals ecargo bikes, and Ryan, the owner, is a subject matter expert.

Appreciate the recommendation. I thought the Rad bikes seemed pretty cheap compared to what I was expecting to spend so none of this is surprising.

Yeah, there's certainly an element of getting what you pay for. If you're not sure how much you're going to use it, the Rad is a good way to get into the car-replacement bikes. But if you're reasonably sure you're going to use it 3+ times a week for years, I think the Tern is worth the money if you have the money to spend.

Yeah I'm ok with dropping the cash. I think my wife and I will be fighting over it every day, might end up with two of them. As Shred mentioned, they are gearing up to do a big project on the roundabout at the entrance to Aspen next summer which may not sound like a big deal if you've never dealt with it, but it is going to take what is already a complete clusterfuck and turn it into the 7th circle of hell. It will be worth it for that alone, and we'll get a lot of other use out of it around the 'hood too.

If price is your major driving factor go for it. If you want a good bike, run away. I sell & fix e-bikes, Rad's are not the worst but they're most def on the low end of the quality spectrum. If you want reliability you're going to want to spend more money. Bosch, Shitmano, Brose, Yamaha mid drives are all really reliable but slow unless hacked (easily done). If you want speed and power, something Bafang equipped will rock the commute. I have a BBS02 I retrofitted to an old Mt bike for under $2k cad, it's 5 years old and still hauls ass. I also have a Wattwagons Ultimate Commuter with a Bafang Ultra with Rohloff 14 sp and a belt drive, it has 2500km on it maintenance free and no grimy pant leg. (great bike but the owner of the company is a douche nozzle).

If you want to retrofit kit check out btn-ebike.com. Straight outta China. I've ordered from them and built 3 bikes for friends that have been solid runners for just over a year now (under $1000 cad each delivered when I ordered 3 at a time)

For reference my BBS02 is tweaked to 1300W and will go 50kph as configured ( was about 60kph with a bigger chainring but my drive line sucked). It likes to wheelie across intersections if I pin it.
    My Bafang Ultra will go 65kph on the flats (I've seen 86kph on the speedo on a hill)
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Many electric utilities already offer rebates.

https://www.holycross.com/rebates/e-bike/

Electric Bike Thread

Are any of the quick front hub drive conversions worth a damn? Looking for something I can swap on and off my commuter in 10min so I can ride with the wife when she’s on the Aventon…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Anyone have/try the REI Co-op CTY e2.2? Seems like a decent value if you get the member rebate plus REI MasterCard add on. (About $2040 after that). Schimano E6100 250w and 60 Nm torque, 36v/504 Wh battery. Rack, fenders, etc. already on. Would be using it on a 10 mile each way commute, mostly path, moderately downhill there, uphill back. It’s only a class 1, but the hack to beat the limiter seems pretty easy, a la YouTube. Seems like any class 3 would be at least $1,000 or more higher. Would the hack split the difference?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

It would, hacked 250w bikes will go faster on the flats and downhill.

My hacked rad wagon is faster but not on the steeper hills.

Ok I can’t even with this shit. https://m.pinkbike.com/news/ruff-cyc...jump-bike.html

Funny that turds get triggered on that. There shouldnt be any trail conflict. Its not like youd run into people on a jump line. Why would anyone care what someone else rides. Actually you could probably keep your secret jump line secret by making it farther in the bush. Funny how people join in looking for something bad and cant possibly see anything good. No free thinking just group thought bootlickers

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app