Page 165 of 197 FirstFirst ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 4901
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    The problem with DC-DC is mostly voltage. You need to convert the output voltage of the source (usually 12v) to the input voltage of the battery (usually 36-72v). Then you also need a balancer, which should be built-in to the battery for any of these sealed cases. Ideally companies could provide 12v powered power bricks, that would be the easiest solution.
    Exactly. You’d think there would be a decent demand for an eBike ‘plug and play’ 12v to 36v powered brick and someone was producing them.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Has anyone been on a Tern?

I’m very intrigued by the Quickhaul. I am concerned about their sizing. The only offer one frame size and with an adjustable steerer, adjustable stem, and crazy long seatpost they say it goes 4’9”-6’4”. I’m 6’2”…..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

New lightweight Transition E-bike: RELAY

I have not ridden it yet... but those I know that have, have told me that it's going to blow your mind. Don't think I'll sale my Repeater, but I do think I will sell my offering and pick one up for longer more XC oriented missions and the keep the Repeater for the steeper rides I bigger terrain. These light weight e-bikes are going to be analog trail bike killers. Especially now that they look like normal bikes.

I'm 6'2" also and have a Tern GSD for taking kids around town, it works fine but isn't as comfortable as my Straggler or Mamasita. I find the sitting position to be very upright, and because of how the stem is adjustable it is hard to get as much reach as I prefer. 100% I would buy it again since we were searching for one e-bike to fit my wife (5'6") and I while hauling 2 little ones. If we are going for a longer bike ride I tend to ride the acoustic bike and let my wife take the Tern.

If your use case is primarily <10 miles get it with no hesitation, if you are looking for longer trips I would look elsewhere personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post

I have not ridden it yet... but those I know that have, have told me that it's going to blow your mind. Don't think I'll sale my Repeater, but I do think I will sell my offering and pick one up for longer more XC oriented missions and the keep the Repeater for the steeper rides I bigger terrain. These light weight e-bikes are going to be analog trail bike killers. Especially now that they look like normal bikes.
    Lot of eBike action going on up here in the PNW. It's totally gonna take over, just a matter of pricing and reliability (sometimes the gen 1's have issues). I'm kinda waiting to replace my bike til the market is a little more flush.

Lot of eBike action going on up here in the PNW. It's totally gonna take over, just a matter of pricing and reliability (sometimes the gen 1's have issues). I'm kinda waiting to replace my bike til the market is a little more flush.
    It's only a matter of time.... The Shimano system seems to be the most reliable at the moment, provided its an all Shimano system. I've heard of quite a few problems with bikes running the EP8 with an non-shimano battery / wire harness.

I'm kinda waiting to replace my bike til the market is a little more flush.
    How long until the motors are integrated with a Pinion-style gearbox? No more rear derailleurs will really get me interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    How long until the motors are integrated with a Pinion-style gearbox? No more rear derailleurs will really get me interested.
    This will be a very important improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post

It appears that Trek are also launching a light e-bike, using their Fuel EX as the template.

Rode Killington today. Lined up. Two guys in different groups with yt decoys. Both look at each other and me; we all say nice bikes to each other. They rave about theirs. It is a game changer.

In do think the e-bikes are a bit heavy for the park though for jumping. Still figuring out the suspension though; likely too much Rebound dampening still resulting in a lack of pop. In tech, turns, and braking bikes the bike is super planted.

Would like to check out highland at some point. Need to call and see if ebikes are allowed on the lift.
    Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skinipenem; 06-19-2022 at 06:28 AM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Rode Killington today. Lined up. Two guys in different groups with yt decoys. Both look at each other and me; we all say nice bikes to each other. They rave about theirs. It is a game changer.

In do think the e-bikes are a bit heavy for the park though for jumping. Still figuring out the suspension though; likely too much Rebound dampening still resulting in a lack of pop. In tech, turns, and braking bikes the bike is super planted.

Would like to check out highland atv some point. Need to call and see if ebikes are allowed on the lift.
    Nice! Still super happy with mine. I want to get a kindernay VII internal geared hub. Final piece of the puzzle.12 spd derailleurs sux

https://kindernay.com/products/compl...kindernay-vii/

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Nice! Still super happy with mine. I want to get a kindernay VII internal geared hub. Final piece of the puzzle.12 spd derailleurs sux

https://kindernay.com/products/compl...kindernay-vii/

I agree the 12 speed xt derailleur is not precise. Those kindernay gear hubs look pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Those kindernay gear hubs look heavy AF.
    FIFY

Internally geared hubs seem like a terrible solution on any bike with suspension. They have the same issues as gearboxes, with the added downside of making all that excess weight unsprung.

Electronic shifting seems like it has the potential to make gearboxes more viable. Get rid of stupid twist shifters and build in an electronically activated clutch that allows it to shift under load.

I wonder if sram will do something along those lines with the ebike motor that we've seen spy shots of.

The kindernal V11 only weighs 1/4lb more than my current drivetrain with steel cassette , deore der or 1/4 lb more than shimano linkglide. Reports are it shifts really well. Not nearly as much shifting with an ebike. Milk individual gears much longer before shifting. The little tensioner hangs down half tge distance of a derailleur. Id carry a spare. No cables. It would pay itself off in 3 yrs and skip the headaches along the way

SRAM are late to the party, spy picts show SRAM just trying to get a mid-mount motor to market
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Lifer View Post
    I'm 6'2" also and have a Tern GSD for taking kids around town, it works fine but isn't as comfortable as my Straggler or Mamasita. I find the sitting position to be very upright, and because of how the stem is adjustable it is hard to get as much reach as I prefer. 100% I would buy it again since we were searching for one e-bike to fit my wife (5'6") and I while hauling 2 little ones. If we are going for a longer bike ride I tend to ride the acoustic bike and let my wife take the Tern.

If your use case is primarily <10 miles get it with no hesitation, if you are looking for longer trips I would look elsewhere personally.
    Thank you for the input. Use case is local errands so it should work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    SRAM are late to the party, spy picts show SRAM just trying to get a mid-mount motor to market
    Yeah, but their motor looks massive in those pics. Wouldn't be surprised if there was gearbox integration in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    FIFY
    That was my gut feeling.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/sram-ebike-motor/

an artical ^^on the subect but ask yerself the burning question

did the bikes have DERS ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, but their motor looks massive in those pics. Wouldn't be surprised if there was gearbox integration in there.
    Doubtful. They do own a bunch of gear box patents, but all of the pics show it wired into an AXS derailleur. I’m thinking it’s going to talk with the ax’s system to detorque during shifts…

Sram motor is a rebadg3d brose. Ive seen side by side pics showing that. Ill look

An ePinion gearbox sure would be cool

I hope they keep them seperate along with the bb's. Itd be nice to do most of the service at home. Maybe in the near future we see fulgur bikes and polini motors in north america. Seperate companies but i see fulgur is expanding distribution and they must have motor servicing set up. Nice looking bikes that are doing really well at ewsE . Polini is the same mounting pattern as shimano and its completely serviceable, unlike the shimano bic pens

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Internally geared hubs seem like a terrible solution on any bike with suspension. They have the same issues as gearboxes, with the added downside of making all that excess weight unsprung.

Electronic shifting seems like it has the potential to make gearboxes more viable. Get rid of stupid twist shifters and build in an electronically activated clutch that allows it to shift under load.

I wonder if sram will do something along those lines with the ebike motor that we've seen spy shots of.
    How about that two speed rear hub(axle?) Plus a smaller front gear box. Kind of a reverse version of the hammershift or whatever it was.