Page 716 of 892 FirstFirst ... 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 ... LastLast
Results 17,876 to 17,900 of 22279
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I may be cool but I'm not very good.
    Can you pull chicks? I was told that's really all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    God I love winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I was pretty cool today.
    Nice. I'm just settling into my 40's but it seems the older I get the less that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post

Nice. I'm just settling into my 40's but it seems the older I get the less that happens.
    Wait until 50 and you won't give a damn at all. That's liberating.

60s are even better for that DGAF vibe.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Let’s go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post

God I love winter.
    Wow, West looks good, nice photos. Lifts opening today sounds like.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

I've been very casually checking out this thread lately so maybe I'm off, but why didn't Bridger open earlier? I thought you guys were getting decent snow this season.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I've been very casually checking out this thread lately so maybe I'm off, but why didn't Bridger open earlier? I thought you guys were getting decent snow this season.
    My completely uninformed armchair assumption: Struggles to get the needed seasonal empoyees early and new mountain ops director = let's not try to push it despite all the early snow.

Nice skin today.

Lone Tree was opened at ~9:15AM and was very good with not many people getting after the trees or groomers. The BB opening today (which I believe is because of their USFS lease) may have shifted some of the eager skiers and snow boarders further north. The 3-4 inches of fresh snow today just made things better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Work got in the way this AM. Lone Tree get opened?

Yesterday a buddy from BSSP who was setting up to open LT said that for whatever reason the snow gods distributed the snow mostly lower down where it was needed.

He said the Jacks had very good coverage.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221209_233454692~2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	612.8 KB 
ID:	437606

Best opener in recent memory

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Best opener in recent memory
    Lot of good vibes on the hill today. Good to see some familiar faces and meet a few new friends.

Was able to snag first chair which is fun. The kid next to me was a freshman at MSU. He is from Polson and this was his first time ever skiing Bridger. So he grabs first chair of season opener. Nice.

He ended up following me around all morning and I sent him home with a souvenir. He was stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    He said the Jacks had very good coverage.
    I can attest to that but most everything off Lonetree had good coverage. It occurred to me that since all these lifts have got bubbles on them and with the inflated lift ticket prices, Big Sky should put a bubble on Six Shooter. That sucker is long and cold.

Quote Originally Posted by ski counselor View Post
    I can attest to that but most everything off Lonetree had good coverage. It occurred to me that since all these lifts have got bubbles on them and with the inflated lift ticket prices, Big Sky should put a bubble on Six Shooter. That sucker is long and cold.
    https://youtu.be/1EY7lYRneHc
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Haha lol bronco ftmfw!

Hell yeah Swimmy! Nice work on the daily vid haha!
    Ha he got interviewed, by the new manager or ?? Some familiar faces in that vid, and RIP Milton M.

why didn't Bridger open earlier?
    I've often heard it's about their lease with the Forest Service, which handcuffs them considerably.

Conversely I've always wondered why the GNFAC couldn't do full ratings and advisories until Bridger opens, at least that's how it seemed for a very long while. I haven't followed them since I moved away from MT but it seemed like that was a thing.

Hell yeah Swimmy! Nice work on the daily vid haha!

Ha he got interviewed, by the new manager or ?? Some familiar faces in that vid, and RIP Milton M.
    Yeah that's Hiram. He asked me if I had goals this year...like working on my butters.

I'll be at the big skree looking for leftovers and enjoying the sun (and cold) today. Holler.

Edit: Er....enjoy more snow showers? Ok, cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    I've often heard it's about their lease with the Forest Service, which handcuffs them considerably.
    I think BB just doesn't like to stray outside of the comfort zone. They've found a way to make things work with not a lot of money, and with often competing and well entrenched interests, intransigence, and tensions within neighbors, board, community, operations, etc. It just doesn't seem like a very nimble operation, which is fine to me if that's what has worked best over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I think BB just doesn't like to stray outside of the comfort zone. They've found a way to make things work with not a lot of money, and with often competing and well entrenched interests, intransigence, and tensions within neighbors, board, community, operations, etc. It just doesn't seem like a very nimble operation, which is fine to me if that's what has worked best over the years.
    And the skier base at BB is more than happy to skin for turns early season. It's actually just part of the charm. Get the fitness up to snuff etc. Better this way than a race to have a death ribbon open IMO.

IMO you both have it right. The FS lease seemed to me to be a bit flexible in terms of the opening date.

And not to be too cynical but, why open early when most revenue is from season pass sales? All you do is increase your burn rate through labor and energy costs.

Multiple BB employees said staffing is main reason they couldn't open early. They still have some 30 vacant positions to fill, and may not be able to open the Alpine Cabin at this rate.

There was a stretch in the 2000s where it was normal to open the day after Thanksgiving or the following week.