Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Things must be slow in ECRC.
    Much like there is a damn good reason there ain't no bathrobe ju jushit show
    In the Olympic
    And wrestling is a founding sport of the greatest test of athleticism
    There are mountains and molehills
    And if ya can't wave your schlong on the mountain
    Fuck the molehills
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

This thread needs more scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    In the Olympic
    Fuck the molehills
    God Damn. Fuck the molehills. Funny shit Bobby.

Looks like your getting some snow, ride on
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    In the Olympic
    Fuck the molehills
    Judo is in the Olympics. Ots a small.part of jiu jitsu.

Gee, thanks dave.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Judo is in the Olympics. Ots a small.part of jiu jitsu.
    I'm sure others would assert that BJJ focuses on and further develops parts of Judo, while neglecting others. Not that the distinction matters except to people who want to assert that their style is "better."

From some website:

"On Oct. 23, 1951, judo's Masahiko Kimura fought Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu's inventor Helio Gracie at Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Just about a month earlier, Gracie had defeated one of the best judo fighters in the world, Yukio Kato, by choke. Hence, there was a lot of pressure on Kimura, who had a 40- to 50-pound weight advantage on his smaller adversary.

Kimura was widely considered to be the greatest judo fighter in the world, so the Japanese people were counting on him. Coming into the match, Kimura indicated that he would knock his opponent out with a throw and that if Gracie were to last more than three minutes, he'd consider himself the winner.

Kimura dominated the match from a throwing perspective, continually slamming Gracie into what was apparently a somewhat soft mat. Since these moves did not stop Gracie as he thought they might, Kimura then began looking for submissions. After roughly 12 minutes, Gracie had been rendered unconscious by a choke but somehow persevered.

Kimura sunk in a reverse ude-garami (shoulderlock), but Gracie was so tough that he refused to submit, having his arm broken instead. Eventually, his corner threw in the towel, and Kimura was rightfully given the win.

Judo won out here. But in the process, Gracie and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu certainly gained some respect."

Wish there was video of that one.

USA's greatest judo competitor, Jimmy Pedro, wrestled at Brown University, qualifying for the NCAA tournament twice. He won one match in those two tournaments.

Well, if it were me I would take the blow gun and shove it completely up your ass. Then, as I put my blade to your throat your fear-puckering rectum would suck the poison dart into your bowel and the curare would act fast, through the mucus membrane much like those old hobos giving themselves a wine enema at a rainbow gathering. In the end I would leave your corpse in a public bathroom and the authorities would assume you died of some auto-erotic fetish gone wrong. I walk away.
    are you on a smoking cessation medication?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I assume you mean from the front. Okuri juji jime is pretty strong, but Giaku, Kata, and Nami really depend on a deep entry in my experience. Great combination attack with an arm bar. The collar chokes are easily defended, but open up an arm bar attack. When they lock their hands to defend the arm bar you can bounce back to the choke. This can all happen without ever releasing the deep collar grip. No one jiu jitsu attack works. They have to come in combination to be effective.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71EZLc-vyXw
    Training today was fantastic. I tried the transition from the video above and almost pulled it off. I didn't use my leg to keep my partner close as I went for the arm bar and he was able create enough space and get his shoulder to the mat. I did however get the tap by a kimura to armbar transition from side control.

For the record I love judo, jiu jitsu, Greco, freestyle and folk style wrestling. I don t think one style is dominant, the combination, the blending of styles one moment to the next is the ideal. At this point I have over 20 years studying these arts so in this context I will keep my own council on what is the best technique for the right moment and the right opponent. Any bjj gym that ignores the stand up is not where you should train.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Training today was fantastic. I tried the transition from the video above and almost pulled it off. I didn't use my leg to keep my partner close as I went for the arm bar and he was able create enough space and get his shoulder to the mat. I did however get the tap by a kimura to armbar transition from side control.
    The lapel grip is what keeps the hips tight to the shoulder. Not bad watching a video and almost succeeding in execution. I think you re probably better than most blue belts.

We had our kids classes this morning, my 8yo has been officially training for a couple years. His first tournament is the first week in April. He's stoked, I m nervous.

Isbd....the conversation you are trying to engage in was settled at UFC 1. Bjj wins.

^^^ That Gracie vs. Savate guy with the broken hand final was brutal.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Anyone know Pol? An Irishman currently living in Japan. Apparently a world champion BJJ?

WTF do I know?

When the Gracie's came to the states they would take out ads in the local paper openly accepting all challengers. You can watch endless grainy old footage of them taking on wrestlers, strikers, ect. It show pretty clearly the dominance of the art.

Here is the Kato fight from 1950. https://youtu.be/n62fFwA0X7I

I had a friend like you. Always trying to get me to go so he could "choke me out" One day I finally went to a no gee class and whooped his ass. Id fuck you up quick, your a pussy
    Hello darkness my old friend

Maybe. Maybe not. If you ever come east look me up. I m not afraid to take a beating.

Sergio Leone just called - he wants his script back.
    Last edited by PB; 02-10-2019 at 02:09 PM.

A year of Judo under his yellow belt helped my kid some when he went out for his middle school wrestling team. He finished third in the district for his weight class at the end of 8th grade.

Still, I'll take South Beach Bernice with the wrench as my backup..

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    USA's greatest judo competitor, Jimmy Pedro, wrestled at Brown University, qualifying for the NCAA tournament twice. He won one match in those two tournaments.
    It’s impressive if you think he wrestled at Brown as an after-thought. He won an EIWA title in the midst of competing at the world championships and the Olympics in judo at the same time. If Pedro had focused on wrestling and been in a very competive Big 10 wrestling room, I believe he would’ve been an All-American multiple times.
    Last edited by Stu Gotz; 02-11-2019 at 05:13 AM.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

I was hitch hiking and got a long ride from this guy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brower_bulldog2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	269120
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I was hitch hiking and got a long ride from this guy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brower_bulldog2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	269120
    Folkstyle wrestling would grow exponentially if the kids were able to suit up like that.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    It’s impressive if you think he wrestled at Brown as an after-thought. He won an EIWA title in the midst of competing at the world championships and the Olympics in judo at the same time. If Pedro had focused on wrestling and been in a very competive Big 10 wrestling room, I believe he would’ve been an All-American multiple times.

As an aside, I wrestled Pedro in college.
    Yeah, I meant nothing but respect, but see now I worded my post poorly. I believe he was an All-Ivy wrestler and a Judo World bronze medalist in the same year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Folkstyle wrestling would grow exponentially if the kids were able to suit up like that.
    Now they're letting kids where fight shorts and spandex shirts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk