Page 42 of 129 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 3201
    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Where were the two skiers on Monday night that Stowe SAR had to go after? Anybody heard what went on?
    From Stowe Rescues book

Stowe Mountain Rescue
    17h ·
    Hello 2022! Yesterday we had a beautiful dump of snow and the inevitable uptick in outdoor recreation – which in turn resulted in the first three calls of the season.
    One was a call to the Cottonbrook area to help extricate two injured snowmobilers. They were patrons of a snowmobile tour who had suffered a mishap about 4 miles out from the trailhead. Our hasty team immediately headed in to deliver medical care while other team members followed with the ATV and boggan to bring the injured parties down. The operation went smoothly and we delivered the subjects to the waiting ambulance.
    Night fell before the next call went out. This was for two skiiers, disoriented and suffering from cold and dark in the backcountry high above the Mt Mansfield touring center. It’s always striking how the most beautiful day with perfect conditions can become dangerous as night falls and the temperatures drop. Here’s the mantra: Head lamp, head lamp, head lamp. Oh, and spare clothing. And water, food, spare batteries, first aid kit, a means to light a fire, a compass (the mantra gets less snappy the more things we add, but your safety and comfort increases…)
    Call number three: an injured snowboarder who was out of bounds from Stowe Mountain Resort. Two of our team members were working at the mountain when the call went out and were able to respond as hasty team. Mt Mansfield Ski Patrol was also in attendance. Luckily the incident had happened within sight of 108 so access by ATV and snowshoe was relatively straightforward. Our team brought in the litter, greatly helped by the subject’s friends who were capable and willing assistants throughout the extrication. A brief rope belay was required at one point but otherwise it was a straightforward haul to get him down to the boggan and onwards to the ambulance.
    We’re delighted that the snow is finally here but it’s a little sobering to be called out three times within 24 hours. Be warned: the base is still thin. Go easy, folks!

TOPT We had so much fun at the show! Much thanks to Buckethead for inviting me to a show in Albany some years ago. They are touring doing the Lamb the next two years and are rumored to be retiring after. See them whilst you can

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211202_222640.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	649.5 KB 
ID:	401860

Name:	20211202_223054.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	526.5 KB 
ID:	401861

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

So fun to ski glades you cut and friends cut. Skied 17 distinct glades at Black over the last two days. Most were first tracks, some were first tracks ever as a cut glade. Finished after sunset as is par for us. Here’s a picture from yesterday

Name:	CAD8ED7E-8676-48F1-B1D6-A3B6741E45D8.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	970.0 KB 
ID:	401859

Coming down pretty good again in Montreal and points north for another sneaky little 4-6er. If this weather pattern can just repeat itself for another few months that would be great, mmmkay.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Nickels and dimes add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    So fun to ski glades you cut and friends cut. Skied 17 distinct glades at Black over the last two days. Most were first tracks, some were first tracks ever as a cut glade. Finished after sunset as is par for us. Here’s a picture from yesterday
    I definitely want a cat guided tour of BMOM glades when possible!

Yessir!!!! recounted and 19 distinct glade runs

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post

Name:	CAD8ED7E-8676-48F1-B1D6-A3B6741E45D8.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	970.0 KB 
ID:	401859
    Nice Cat! I guess it's about time to dust off my boards.

East Coast Roll Call 21-22 We have a hot date with Skadi, Pictures at 11

Skied Bromley fir the first time. Sun mountain for sureClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642612806.334522.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	401886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642612858.001431.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	401887

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Night fell before the next call went out. This was for two skiiers, disoriented and suffering from cold and dark in the backcountry high above the Mt Mansfield touring center. It’s always striking how the most beautiful day with perfect conditions can become dangerous as night falls and the temperatures drop. Here’s the mantra: Head lamp, head lamp, head lamp. Oh, and spare clothing. And water, food, spare batteries, first aid kit, a means to light a fire, a compass (the mantra gets less snappy the more things we add, but your safety and comfort increases…)
    WTF... I dunno exactly where this party was, but that basin is plentiful with easy exits to the Nordic center. It was what, about 0 degrees by 5 PM yesterday? Gapers will be gapers but holy crap.

Picked a good one for my opening day. Perfect chalk dust torture. Wind died and they just opened he gondy. I forgot how good I was as at this shit, skiing is fun.

Name:	Image1642619727.714269.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	979.9 KB 
ID:	401902

Name:	Image1642619753.448353.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	401903

Name:	Image1642619778.055210.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	401904
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Picked a good one for my opening day. Perfect chalk dust torture. Wind died and they just opened he gondy. I forgot how good I was as at this shit, skiing is fun.
    Thanks for the call

Sweet!!!! ^^^^ Nice to see so many cool captures from around the east.

Currently cold as fuck and windy bob

Joined the crew for some hike to laps

Those big NW winds and another 3-5" erased all evidence of yesterdays fun...

Attachment 401855

Pretty cold as the temp kept dropping...

And LJ looking for an untracked line

Attachment 401856

Attachment 401857

It's a beautiful thing

Attachment 401858

Didn't want to stop but bid farewell to the crew to head home and shovel the drive for an hour and a half

KB pointed out that we had a storm last year on the 15th that started our good run of skiing, lets hope it continues.
    Some of those tracks and jackets look familiar. That was a quality run once the slow skiers were out of the way

East Coast Roll Call 21-22 We have a hot date with Skadi, Pictures at 11

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Thanks for the call
    First day out needs to be solo for me, sometimes I fight to find my feet on the first couple of days, today, not so much, I felt like I had 30 days in already. Perfect snow made all the difference. Stoked for winter now.
    crab in my shoe mouth

A skier triggered the first avy of the season in the Notch.

So the woods are in then?

Another 3” or so at the loaf today, ropes are dropping where they can. Lower angle and things that are grassy underneath. Probably need a couple more feet for brackett et al. Super fun today

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by clubhousebmx View Post
    Some of those tracks and jackets look familiar. That was a quality run once the slow skiers were out of the way
    HaHa, you on the board in the brown jacket?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

TOPT We had so much fun at the show! Much thanks to Buckethead for inviting me to a show in Albany some years ago. They are touring doing the Lamb the next two years and are rumored to be retiring after. See them whilst you can

Name:	20211202_222640.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	649.5 KB 
ID:	401860

Name:	20211202_223054.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	526.5 KB 
ID:	401861

cool, doing the lamb. might have to catch that if they are nearby.
    i believe that sum of years may have been 12-14!
    tempus fugit!

meanwhile loving all the bluebird-pow stoke.

Yep that was me, didn't realize it was you guys until I saw the pics or I would of asked for change. Love that trail early season before the bumps. Rumble had a nice wind refresh today too but required way too much walking.

I'm usually up there midweek VTF, I'll keep an eye out for you and let you make first tracks through that upper flat section next time lol. That was rough.

Does anyone have any beta on GOS or Greylock? I'm looking for something exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by clubhousebmx View Post
    Yep that was me, didn't realize it was you guys until I saw the pics or I would of asked for change. Love that trail early season before the bumps. Rumble had a nice wind refresh today too but required way too much walking.

I'm usually up there midweek VTF, I'll keep an eye out for you and let you make first tracks through that upper flat section next time lol. That was rough.
    We always glad to let someone break a path

It was certainly the best skiing of the season so far and my favorite place until the lift opens and it's skied to dirt. We'll look for you midweek for some turns.

Bucket, keeping an eye on The Musical Box tour dates, hopefully playing close by. Also Steve Wilson decided to resurrect Porcupine Tree and is going to tour the US, Goniff told me he says The Egg is his favorite US venue, fingers crossed.

9º bob which is a healthy drop from 15º at 5:30 but at least the wind has dropped. Yesterday the wind ripped all day through this morning stripping areas of the yard down to grass, but the sun has broke through now.

Careful out there if you're trying to reap Skadis' bounty, from the SKIVT-L concerning the notch incident

True story 2022-01-17. Imported from Instagram

I love to push my limits when I’m out in nature, but sometimes Mother Nature pushes back. There’s nothing more exhilarating than finding big lines untouched by others, especially after a storm like today’s. However, today was a wake up call. On our last run I spotted some beautiful untracked powder under a cliff line and scrambled up the face, despite the fresh snowfall and warming temperatures. This zone overlooked a long, open slide with a steep grade, and after my friend dropped in without an issue I concluded that it would be safe to drop in as well.

While trying to transition to skis, one ski slid off the lower cliff, forcing me to walk down and drop in from a lower starting point. As I approached the lower cliff, a wall of snow carried me over the cliff edge and continued down the slide, hitting one of my friends at full force and carrying two other boot packers down the chute at a high velocity. Gear was lost, my knee was twisted, and one boot packer was carried 3/4 of the way down the slide.

Everyone survived, but a valuable lesson was learned. This is a route I’ve skied 5-6 times with no issue, but conditions were clearly different. Do not make the same selfish decision I did. No amount of glory in the backcountry is worth it if it puts others’ lives at risk. Do not underestimate the severity of the terrain and snow conditions. None of us had beacons, probes, or shovels either (it’s worth the purchase), as it didn’t seem necessary to bring such equipment for terrain we were familiar with. Although this is a freak accident, it was also preventable. Not even the best skiers in the world are immune from such incidents, so don’t pretend that you are. It’s not just your life that’s on the line.

I’m still trying to process what happened, and I’m sure my friends and everyone else involved is too. I’m incredibly angry at myself, but it’s time to move on and make improvements. I’ll still be ripping it up in the BC with my buddies in the future, but it’s important to remember that the experience is shared.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Losing a ski is not a “freak accident”. A freak accident is when 3 freaks in a van collide with 2 freaks in a car. The fuck
    crab in my shoe mouth

Being in a slide prone area and not understanding the risks is not a 'freak accident'. The humility of the skier is positive but the thought that just going and buying a beacon, shovel and probe are the answer means it's possible they could get themselves back in trouble easily.

I learned nothing from that Instagram post. At least with Rog's near death experiences I learned that without Croakies, you can forget ever finding your sunglasses in a slide.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 515
Size:  17.9 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

17 inches over ice, who would have thunk snow might have moved? Skier drops in on boot packers, other skier stops in slide path. guessing the person(s) are fairly new to post storm skiing in the notch. Ten bucks says they GoPro’d it and it’s also lost in their fuck up.