Page 1467 of 1842 FirstFirst ... 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 ... LastLast
Results 36,651 to 36,675 of 46041
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Cry me a fucking river.
    The new start times are more convenient for me with the level my kid is at. But it absolutely isn't good for the district's students overall and is happening just because they don't want to pay bus drivers more and so have a shortage.

Do you think we should ignore actual research because back in their day, the old codgers had to go to school straight after milking?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Do kids know how to take public transit, or use a bike or their legs anymore to get an education?
    Next you're gonna start complaining about the kids on your lawn, aren't you?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

They do but it certainly depends on where one lives. Your point?

Do kids know how to take public transit, or use a bike or their legs anymore to get an education?
    They do. Less than half of current district students ride the bus. My kindergartner bikes to school every morning (with us obviously). But schools are both required to provide transport for some groups and are (at least in our mega district) often moving students around as new schools are built and phased out. They can't just be like "find your own way here."

I will add to this thread: people who believe that we should continue impediments to education because impediments existed in the past.

Nobody gives a shit about your dumb narcissist stories where you are always the smart guy or the hero saving lives MTM
    Name:  ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
Views: 367
Size:  954.3 KB

It seems like you guys missed MTM's point: he took calc early, so it took him 3 years.

I just don't think the whines from parents about hs kids getting up early hold any water.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I just don't think the whines from parents about hs kids getting up early hold any water.
    You aren't paying attention. It has nothing to do with my kid, who gets an extra 35 minutes of sleep and is no problem for my wife or I to drop off as we don't have traditional 9-5s. It would be 8 and a half years before this directly affected us and I would be shocked (and maybe divorced) if we still lived here at that point.

But I have a PhD in educational sociology and am a data science professor at a college that this school district (which I've noted is already bad) feeds. This is very professional annoyance. There is no pedagogical way to claim this is a benefit to students. All the research suggests that high schoolers do better - academic achievement wise, mental health wise, etc. - starting later. To move the other way so you can use each bus more efficiently is very annoying.

Last edited by MarcusBrody; 01-14-2022 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Next you're gonna start complaining about the kids on your lawn, aren't you?
    I'm surprised he didn't start his story with "In my day..."

I'd be fucking annoyed if I had to start school at 7am.

Quote Originally Posted by aqua toque View Post
    dood

ewe knead uh gnu bacon
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

check your PMs buddy
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Marcus, I'm just curious but is there research on whether or how early start times affect elementary-age kids? I'm aware there's stuff about high-schoolers that supports your point but wonder if they could just switch the elementary and HS start times.

Staffing and budgets are a real thing they have to deal with, is there an optimal setup with those in mind?

edit:how big is HS sports there? I wouldn't be amazed if keeping afternoons open for practice is a priority even if they don't talk about it, it would be some places for sure.

Stacking the bus routes, literally saves millions a year for a large district.
    Everyone want a good school district, but hardly anyone wants to pay the addition taxes.

Emergency alert wake-up for 1-3ft waves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wakeup.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	401209

In my day when we had tsunamis we didn't complain! We grabbed our surfboards and ran right to it, surfed the surge, and then went to Algebraic Structures class at the university and set theories of isomorphisms in our wetsuits.

Cry me a river.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Marcus, I'm just curious but is there research on whether or how early start times affect elementary-age kids? I'm aware there's stuff about high-schoolers that supports your point but wonder if they could just switch the elementary and HS start times.

Staffing and budgets are a real thing they have to deal with, is there an optimal setup with those in mind?

edit:how big is HS sports there? I wouldn't be amazed if keeping afternoons open for practice is a priority even if they don't talk about it, it would be some places for sure.
    There is, but it's less developed and less conclusive. Early research suggested that they weren't as sensitive to it. In the past five years or so a group looking at data from Kentucky has argued that at least the more disadvantaged students (using free and reduced lunch participation as a proxy) are at least somewhat negatively affected by early start times.

I'd have to go back and read the elementary school stuff again, but I suspect that elementary start times have a lower variance and fewer really early start times, so it's harder to estimate the effects

Edit: I went back and looked at the most recent articles. The Kentucky studies are the only ones finding a significant elementary effects, but I misremembered who they were for. They only seem to matter in schools with low proportion of free lunch students. I would have expected those students to be more sensitive to changes, so I don't know what's going on here (though it also could be noise in one district).
    Last edited by MarcusBrody; 01-15-2022 at 12:43 PM.

Passengers who put their feet on my dash.

I spent three hours fixing a stupid door lockset. It was broken off inside so the usual method of removing the doorknob and turning it with a screwdriver didn't work. I had to get resourceful. #$@&$!-+% And then there was the trip to Ace fir a new one and replacing it.

The Apple Watch commercial where people are using their watches to call 911 and are speaking with a dispatcher. In one of the scenarios the dispatcher asks a woman who is trapped underwater if her head is above water.

She wouldn't be speaking if her head was under water for fucks sake!!

The commercials aren’t great, but I think those are the actual calls, not written by some copywriter.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    The commercials aren’t great, but I think those are the actual calls, not written by some copywriter.
    DON'T MELLOW MY HARSH!!!

I didn't think anything could be more annoying than people saying "like" constantly, but this latest trend where people end every statement with a vague schwa sound is worse. You know what I mean: "No way-uh! Who told you that-uh?"

Shit that annoys you

Never heard that
    What part of the world is that happening in?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Never heard that
    What part of the world is that happening in?
    All over. Almost exclusively teen to twenties girls. I blame the Kardashians.