Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Was riding in a friend’s Tesla and he wanted to stop on the way home so he could walk the dog the final mile. But his only key was his iPhone smart key and he didn’t want to leave his phone in the car just so that I could drive it (he was expecting a ph call I guess).
    Your friend is the problem, not the car. IMO not having your Tesla key card on you at all times in user error, not a tech issue.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Your friend is the problem, not the car. IMO not having your Tesla key card on you at all times in user error, not a tech issue.
    Tesla markets the smartphone key as the solution that lets you never have to worry about carrying a separate key somewhere. This guy is exactly the target demographic for that ‘convenience’ message.

Just because you and I are the type who would carry around a backup key just in case doesn’t change the observation above.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Ironically, the way women think air conditioning and heating in a house works--they think you heat or cool faster if you max out the temp up or down--works fine in a car.
    We definitely covered this in the JHC wife thread.

Tesla markets the smartphone key as the solution that lets you never have to worry about carrying a separate key somewhere. This guy is exactly the target demographic for that ‘convenience’ message.

Just because you and I are the type who would carry around a backup key just in case doesn’t change the observation above.
    Someone driving the electric f150 to tow their boat will drop their phone in the drink and be stuck.

Eh, I'll disagree and move on, ha. The phone is convenient to use as you don't have to get your key card out from your wallet every time you open the door and start the car, it's not suppose to be a replacement to the card. I guess I don't know how Tesla markets it on their website as 'that' or a primary key.

Splitting hairs here....OK I'll stop now.

Heh.

Eventually driving a car will require a facial recognition scan for security purposes. There’ll be a verification procedure for getting a friend to drive it. Cloud based of course, so it won’t work out in the boonies. So they’ll come up with a workaround.

So it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Isn't there a little emergency key?
    I'll admit I don't think I realized there's a key built into the fob until I had to replace the battery. I imagine most new cars have this setup.

By the way, I always thought the button start was a bit gimmicky, but I've gotta say that I like it. My key fob rarely leaves my pocket. The door unlocks when I approach the car and locks when I move more than 2 meters away.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'll admit I don't think I realized there's a key built into the fob until I had to replace the battery. I imagine most new cars have this setup.

By the way, I always thought the button start was a bit gimmicky, but I've gotta say that I like it. My key fob rarely leaves my pocket. The door unlocks when I approach the car and locks when I move more than 2 meters away.
    Meters? What is that in freedom units?

Heh.

Eventually driving a car will require a facial recognition scan for security purposes. There’ll be a verification procedure for getting a friend to drive it. Cloud based of course, so it won’t work out in the boonies. So they’ll come up with a workaround.

So it goes.
    It will also detect alcohol levels and shut down when sketchy
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It will also detect alcohol levels and shut down when sketchy
    As a recovering alcoholic I already have this tech. Not court ordered, but voluntary as an agreement with my wife for accountability and safety. If I can't blow below 0.05 I can't start my car.

Makes total sense to me to have this built into everything. Unfortunately I don't see it happening. Politics and shit...

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Makes total sense to me to have this built into everything.
    You say that, but wait until it is built into TRG.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post

"Sorry, you're too sober to post in this thread"?

Lol. Allow me to clarify.

Makes total sense to have this built into everything that could lead to a physical safety risk to the user and everyone they come across.

That work for you?

Lol. Allow me to clarify.

Makes total sense to have this built into everything that could lead to a physical safety risk to the user and everyone they come across.

That work for you?

Dunno, I could see drunk posting could leading to a physical safety risk.

As a recovering alcoholic I already have this tech. Not court ordered, but voluntary as an agreement with my wife for accountability and safety. If I can't blow below 0.05 I can't start my car.

Makes total sense to me to have this built into everything. Unfortunately I don't see it happening. Politics and shit...
    I think its great for people who need it, but not everyone does.

I dont really want to pay for a breathalyzer in my vehicle or have to pay to repair it if it breaks or be stranded somewhere when it malfunctions.

I hardly ever drink and i have never had a dui. I would lose my job if I got one, so I never drink and drive.

Why should I have to have a breathalyzer in my car?

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    I think its great for people who need it, but not everyone does.

I dont really want to pay for a breathalyzer in my vehicle or have to pay to repair it if it breaks or be stranded somewhere when it malfunctions.

I hardly ever drink and i have never had a dui. I would lose my job if I got one, so I never drink and drive.

Why should I have to have a breathalyzer in my car?
    If it were free and built in as standard equipment.. why not? Could save a lot of lives, not to mention saving families from breaking up due to arrests, jail time, etc. 0

It would be no different than the nag screen that beeps when your seat belt isn't buckled.. They're also working on ones that set your alarm off if you leave your kid locked in your car.. Hell, it might even use the GPS and wifi to call the cops on you too. That way if you're stranded, help is on the way LOL!

FWIW, I found a way around it about 25 years ago. Only did it once though, not drunk, morning after breath device set at .02 IIRC.. . A bicycle pump and a rubber glove fooled it.. Nice steady and strong blow with fresh clean non alcohol air. Don't try this at home kids..

Someone driving the electric f150 to tow their boat will drop their phone in the drink and be stuck.
    Hopefully this happens on a boat ramp in Miami first. It'll be funny to watch on youtube as heavily-armed people lose their minds.

If it were free and built in as standard equipment.. why not? Could save a lot of lives, not to mention saving families from breaking up due to arrests, jail time, etc. 0
    As an option its great, but I dont think people who don't drink or drink very sparingly should have to pay for them.

Coming standard doesn't fix them when they break.

Plus, do we really have to idiot proof everything? My moms Honda civic would do that dumb beep if you set something heavy in the front seat because it thought you had an unbuckled passenger.

I feel like someone with a drinking problem is going to figure out a way to get themselves into trouble no matter what society does to try to protect them and they aren't going to face their problem until they hit their bottom and decide its time.

As an option its great, but I dont think people who don't drink or drink very sparingly should have to pay for them.

Coming standard doesn't fix them when they break.
    TPMS isn't required and your car will pass inspection without it working. Try to find a new car where you don't have to pay for it. It overwhelmingly saves lives.. Even a moderately successful device to keep (most) people reeking of alcohol off the road would be a HUGE win for society... well worth the inconvenient (to some) convenience when deployed worldwide.

^^ YES. And although there is (currently) a monthly fee, the couple of times my blow-and-go has malfunctioned its been replaced free with no questions asked.. so the "when they break" argument is moot.

Do you wear a leash when you are hiking so you can't run away?

Fucking morans.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

^^ YES. And although there is (currently) a monthly fee, the couple of times my blow-and-go has malfunctioned its been replaced free with no questions asked.. so the "when they break" argument is moot.
    You pay for a subscription service. That won't be the case if they are installed standard on all vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    TPMS isn't required and your car will pass inspection without it working. Try to find a new car where you don't have to pay for it. It overwhelmingly saves lives.. Even a moderately successful device to keep (most) people reeking of alcohol off the road would be a HUGE win for society... well worth the inconvenient (to some) convenience when deployed worldwide.
    Would suck if someone spills alcohol on the designated driver.

Or ugg. My alcoholic ex friend was drinking vodka mixed with something in my car and I was unaware until he fucking spilled the whole thing and then said I shouldn't care that my car now reeks like vodka because it covered the dog smell.

He didnt seem to get that having an open container of dog in a car isn't illegal.

Would suck if someone spills alcohol on the designated driver.

Or ugg. My alcoholic ex friend was drinking vodka mixed with something in my car and I was unaware until he fucking spilled the whole thing and then said I shouldn't care that my car now reeks like vodka because it covered the dog smell.

He didnt seem to get that having an open container of dog in a car isn't illegal.
    I'll take Murph over stale vodka drink any day.