Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Under rated artist's/albums

I 'm nominating Blind Melon and "Soup," I didn't pay much attention to them while they where active, but got turned onto "Soup" mid 90's and it's still in my all time favorites file. The band got stereotyped after that initial "Bumblebee" video, which was kind of sappy. Soup is fast paced and pretty emotional if you get into the lyrics>

Last edited by bluespark; 01-17-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Plants and Animals

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Any Phil Collins fans? Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Gary Myrick and the Figures

Gang of Four

I like Collins with Brand-X and early Genesis. The lyrics from the more mainstream stuff are deeper than most realize but the older stuff is better IMHO.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

xtc
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I like Collins with Brand-X and early Genesis. The lyrics from the more mainstream stuff are deeper than most realize but the older stuff is better IMHO.
    Agreed! I'd also nominate Huey Lewis & the News. Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Murder City Devils were always one of my favorite underrated bands. Idle Hands- so good.

Blind Mellon wasn't underrated really, but yeah, I always really liked their less poppy stuff. What's the one where he sings about making a lampshade out of skin?

Frances the mute

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 10.30.33 AM.png
Views: 194
Size:  543.8 KB

I'd consider these artists underrated. But it's hard to judge -- underrated by who?? Tons of talented artists/bands out there who are unknown, a tiny percentage of which end up making it big.

2x on Plants and Animals

Maps and Atlases

Deer Tick

Big Thief is a pretty new band that's getting more attention but haven't really hit it big yet

The Rural Alberta Advantage

Communist Daughter

Swan Lake. (Reminds me of Wolf Parade and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah but more underrated)

Handsome Furs
    Last edited by auvgeek; 01-20-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    Any Phil Collins fans? Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
    Agreed! I'd also nominate Huey Lewis & the News. Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
    You are fucking psycho.

Greta Van Fleet was pretty rad on SNL last night

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post

King's X was pretty much the first band I thought of when I saw this thread. I never liked Dogman though, bet I haven't listened to the whole album in 20+ years. It was a huge disappointment for me after Gretchen & FHL. I do remember them doing an awesome version of Cigarettes live though. Kinda like this:

As far as underrated albums, the 2 Ozzy albums with Jake E. Lee (Bark At The Moon & Ultimate SIn) don't get nearly the amount of respect they deserve. Jake is vastly underrated, rather listen to him than Zakk any day.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Under rated artist's/albums

Eleventh Dream Day (“El Moodio” and “Beet” are highlights); Guadalcanal Diary (“walking in the shadow of the big man”); Thin White Rope (“the one that got away: live in Ghent” is essential); February (90’s Mpls shoegazers who are all but unknown today).

Oh, and one of the best live shows I’ve ever seen, opening for Helios Creed back in the day: Sea Whores.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Greta Van Fleet was pretty rad on SNL last night

Was that the hippy wearing a halter top leading the Led Zep Cover band that played on SNL???

Meh...

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    King's X was pretty much the first band I thought of when I saw this thread. I never liked Dogman though, bet I haven't listened to the whole album in 20+ years. It was a huge disappointment for me after Gretchen & FHL. I do remember them doing an awesome version of Cigarettes live though. Kinda like this:
    IMHO it's their best. Heavy a.f. less proggy and sappy as the earlier work (which I am still find of). That bass man! I think dogman got overplayed on the radidio at the time and kinda wore it out.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Life of Agony. River Runs Red.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bKB8XKSMq30

Do your self a favor if you like rhythmic heavy and listen. Crank it.

If you were a Biohazard or Roadrunner records fan from early 90’s this album is amazing.

Lead singer Keith Caputo is now a woman. So the pain in his lyrics was probably real.

(oh this topic will be fun. sure nobody has an opinion on this)

Always thought David Gilmour's About Face never got the credit it should have. viewed sorta floydlite, without the heavy lyrics of waters; always thought it was solid bit of work. YMMV

"Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Always thought David Gilmour's About Face never got the credit it should have. viewed sorta floydlite, without the heavy lyrics of waters; always thought it was solid bit of work. YMMV
    Nice pick. I saw that tour in LA. It was sublime.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Heh-

I got a new business card recently.

"Look at that subtle colouring. The tasteful thickness."

Tough to call this album underrated. More like Un-Rated.

No one seems to really know about it, but it is one of my all time favorites from the Hardcore Straightedge era.