Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Valley Beta

Sun Valley Beta

I have a friend (acquaintance, okay he's my personal trainer, but a really good guy) who has lodging in Sun Valley over the holidays, but can't get a lift ticket reservation. Any suggestions and/or help you can provide would be much appreciated. BTW, not looking for a discount, just tickets, i.e. this is a full price option for those of you with hookups. PM me and we can chat.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Just book a group lesson and no show. That's how the rich are doing it at Vail.

No group lessons this year at SV.

Any other ideas?

Buy a 15 day pass? $1429 includes tax.

Quote Originally Posted by mcf258 View Post
    Buy a 15 day pass? $1429 includes tax.
    Up to 15 days of skiing/boarding on Bald and Dollar Mountains
    15 days with no restrictions, blackout dates or per week limitations
    50% off window Rate on any additional days

It's not even going to be a normal holiday shitshow. SV has no experience w lift lines so it's going to be bad.

Copy, thanks...

I think you are not clicking on the right buttons. They are showing day tickets thru new years for the small fee off 175 a day.You need to click on adult and the small button under that states 1 day. I tried to do a screenshot but posting photos blow. Also they have a 208 phone # on the web site that will get you to a human in ticket/pass sales office.

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    I think you are not clicking on the right buttons. They are showing day tickets thru new years for the small fee off 175 a day.You need to click on adult and the small button under that states 1 day. I tried to do a screenshot but posting photos blow. Also they have a 208 phone # on the web site that will get you to a human in ticket/pass sales office.
    Thanks, I didn't check his work--perhaps his technical skills are lacking...

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Thanks, I didn't check his work--perhaps his technical skills are lacking...

Seems his technical skills are in fact lacking...
    As you were.

$175 wrod what a deal!

Priced to keep the riff raff out. That said, there's enough open to make it worth an occasional day.
    Living vicariously through myself.

It's not even going to be a normal holiday shitshow. SV has no experience w lift lines so it's going to be bad.
    They have yellow coats trying to be maze sorters this season. Most locals are looking at avoiding the hill over the holiday. That said, certain lifts at certain times of the day can allow one to avoid the shitshow.

Several years ago when they had the collective we skied our 3 free days between Xmas and new years. The crowds were over the top IN THE LODGE.

Never a major issue out on the hill. Love skiing the valley of the sun but am am one of the riff raff they want to out. But lucky enough for my 5 year old to ski college college and seattle ridge last week end.

With out a doubt one of the prettiest places to ski.

Did three weeks there in 76.
    Haven’t been back, but I still love the place.

Spent Xmas at SV about 7 years ago. It snowed every damn day, and nights too. Had one epic afternoon lapping Mayday with maybe a dozen other people. Waist deep, light, vapor snow. All the locals were saying there was so much snow they had run out of places to put it. Best Xmas vacation evah. And, just one bluebird pow day with about 8" of fresh saw lift lines midweek. But by 10:30am the crowds disappeared and was easy cruising fast pow laps until the legs gave out.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    They have yellow coats trying to be maze sorters this season. Most locals are looking at avoiding the hill over the holiday. That said, certain lifts at certain times of the day can allow one to avoid the shitshow.
    I think it's a no man's land of crowd control. Yellow coats are going to take the brunt of it, but mtn ops sets up the playing field.

#5 from mid river to the top has a badly designed maze at the best of times. It's 4 lines on each side that eventually come together face to face. It's the same as previous years so we know it's weak. Plus face to face at less than 6' huffing and puffing is bad for covid control. Yellow coats have no idea how to control it becuase they don't have any experience, or system to decide who goes. They're "working on it" as one of them told me is a lame excuse before he skiied off never to return. A trip to the bottom of Warm Springs could easily end up being 30 min in the lift line based on the 1st weekend day it was open.

The influx of new residents this summer is going to add a major load (record season pass sales this year) of skiers that haven't been here for xmas. Usually over xmas get their by 9am out by 10:30am unless there is new snow.

I saw that at #5, before Warm springs opened. Unless you have kids/beginners, avoiding River Run is a given.

I love Sun Valley. It's a weird place, out on the hill everyone is fast as hell. When they go into the lodges and take off their helmets and goggles you see that 90% of them are 70+. Oldest clientele I've ever seen at a ski resort.

when the snow is good on Baldy it's hard to beat, but when the snow sucks, it's not really worth paying for a lift pass.

Luckily, hit it on a powder day once with one of the Crist brothers which made for a really awesome day.

One thing I've noticed about that place is people like to talk about how much they ski, but when it comes down to it, it's all just talk and those that claim they ski there a lot really don't other than a few select hardcore rippers which the Reverend Floater is one of.

I think it's a no man's land of crowd control. Yellow coats are going to take the brunt of it, but mtn ops sets up the playing field.

#5 from mid river to the top has a badly designed maze at the best of times. It's 4 lines on each side that eventually come together face to face. It's the same as previous years so we know it's weak. Plus face to face at less than 6' huffing and puffing is bad for covid control. Yellow coats have no idea how to control it becuase they don't have any experience, or system to decide who goes. They're "working on it" as one of them told me is a lame excuse before he skiied off never to return. A trip to the bottom of Warm Springs could easily end up being 30 min in the lift line based on the 1st weekend day it was open.

The influx of new residents this summer is going to add a major load (record season pass sales this year) of skiers that haven't been here for xmas. Usually over xmas get their by 9am out by 10:30am unless there is new snow.
    I take it there's no space for all the private jets at SUN as well? First time there, I was blown away by all the private jets. Then I went to Aspen, and realized that SV is a piker compared to where the real money is at.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    I saw that at #5, before Warm springs opened. Unless you have kids/beginners, avoiding River Run is a given.
    No just avoid going to #5 more than once a day. Once in Warm Springs the only way out is bottom to top and WS was always the worst lines during xmas. The gondola will prob be equally as slow as WS w covid. WS doesn't come into it's own w/out sun (late January) or new snow anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    when the snow is good on Baldy it's hard to beat, but when the snow sucks, it's not really worth paying for a lift pass.

Luckily, hit it on a powder day once with one of the Crist brothers which made for a really awesome day.

One thing I've noticed about that place is people like to talk about how much they ski, but when it comes down to it, it's all just talk and those that claim they ski there a lot really don't other than a few select hardcore rippers which the Reverend Floater is one of.
    I ski a lot but not a ripper. Usually there is something good to ski w the huge variety of elevation and aspect, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Yeah they count going up the gondola once and spending the rest of the day at the bar as a 'ski day.' I have no problem with that, those people were all friendly as hell, and good for them for living their best life.

Sun Valley has some serious mojo happening, I love that place despite skiing there in arguably the worst possible condition the mountain has ever been in.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Yeah they count going up the gondola once and spending the rest of the day at the bar as a 'ski day.'
    Wait, that isn't a ski day?