Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    My, my. You're one angry motherfucker.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

sombody forgot his lithium this morning.
    "Can't you see..."

I'd strongly recomend Siesta key over destin; shereveport to siesta in a day is doable. Don't get me wrong, destin is a fine place, just siesta better. Wharthog might weigh in as I believe he's somewhat local.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    What I am thinking right now:
    Day 1) Afternoon and night in Aspen
    Day 2-3) Taos
    Day 4) Shreveport
    Days 5-6) Destin
    Day 7-15) Coral Gables
    Day 16-17) Savannah
    Day 18) Memphis
    Day 19) Vail
    Day 20) Park City

Otherwise, on the way home, I will just visit a relative in Dandridge, TN for a couple of days, then drive as far as I can (maybe Denver, then home)
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Going South out of Granite after Indy Pass, stay on 285 going South out of Salida, then veer off towards Del Norte and up over Wolf Creek Pass down into Pagosa Springs. Lots of good food there and the hot springs, which will hopefully be open.

Then head down 84 to 64, through Chama and over to Tres Piedras. There's something super cool about that section of road, winding up grassy savannahs into copses of Pine and clusters of lakes. Very remote and high, unique, atmospheric and gorgeous.

Stay on 64 and a few miles before you cross the Rio Grande gorge, you'll pass the Earthship compound where Ram Dass hangs out sometimes. Checking out those domiciles is very cool.

Drive a couple of miles to walk the Rio Grande Gorge bridge.

A couple more miles and you're in Taos. Or turn South to Santa Fe.

I usually dirtbag it at the Abominable Snowmansion with a good bar and Mex restaurant next door in Arroyo Seco, on the way from Taos to Taos Ski Valley. Lots of high end boutique hotels all over from Taos to Santa Fe.
    I don't know the road #'s but, if you make a right on the way to that bridge over the Rio grande, there is a dirt road that takes you down to the river and you cross a small bridge over the river, very cool place. That route puts you back on the hiway about 15 miles southwest of Taos, or you can head to Espanola.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    I'd strongly recomend Siesta key over destin; shereveport to siesta in a day is doable. Don't get me wrong, destin is a fine place, just siesta better. Wharthog might weigh in as I believe he's somewhat local.
    Siesta is nice but I like longboat better, you can stay gulf front and walk to St. Armands

sombody forgot his happy pills this morning.
    Fify

Definitely doable and I'd like to stop there but on the outer limits of doable, especially with the long drive from NM to LA the day before. In August, need to plan for heavy thunderstorms in FL. I avoid Tallahassee at all costs as the Seminoles suck! I might stop in the Destin?Panama Beach area for a dy/night, then head down to Siesta/Longboat, before heading to Coral Gables. This depends upon weather and mood.
    I'd strongly recommend Siesta key over destin; shreveport to siesta in a day is doable. Don't get me wrong, destin is a fine place, just siesta better. Wharthog might weigh in as I believe he's somewhat local.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Siesta is nice but I like longboat better, you can stay gulf front and walk to St. Armands
    wow. the sand in longboat is ugly as sin.
    "Can't you see..."

Sunset up at the summit of independence pass is pretty dang nice
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Skip Destin and hit up Grayton Beach on 30a just a bit farther down the same road. Just named America’s Best Beach by some scientist and reported in this Morning’s AJC.

The slogan down there is “Nice dogs, strange people”.

https://www.ajc.com/news/florida-gra...8RYPvqTrV6nJM/

Also, you can hit up The Red Bar.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Wolf Creek Pass is no slacker for beetle kill & burn scars either.
    FIFY

^ one of the things about 30A is that there is virtually no tree cover. The sand is so damn white becuase it's cooked 12 hrs a day 365. none-the-less i LOVED the area and had zeroed in on the western edge of pnama city beach (ok so not really 30A), right up against inlet beach. Then Ms. MT...

But it's hard to go wrong anyhere from perdillo to st. george.
    "Can't you see..."

^ one of the things about 30A is that there is virtually no tree cover. The sand is so damn white becuase it's cooked 12 hrs a day 365. none-the-less i LOVED the area and had zeroed in on the western edge of pnama city beach (ok so not really 30A), right up against inlet beach. Then Ms. MT...

But it's hard to go wrong anyhere from perdillo to st. george.
    Too true.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    or you can head to Espanola.
    Oh man, Petaca and Espanola. If he can fit in Mora it's the trip of a lifetime.

For me, I'd like more stopped/exploring time in NM. If I arrive in NM mid-afternoon and spend two nights there and explore 1 1/2 days, I will be satisfied for this trip. From there, I will probably be eager to get to dade county.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    For me, I'd like more stopped/exploring time in NM. If I arrive in NM mid-afternoon and spend two nights there and explore 1 1/2 days, I will be satisfied for this trip. From there, I will probably be eager to get to dade county.
    You can hit up Capulin Volcano Nat'l Monument in NE NM as well. I've never been but driven by and it looks interesting.

wow. the sand in longboat is ugly as sin.
    True. But, I do have a fond 'memory' of a Roman Candle war on NYE '87 out on that beach. Drunk and high as fuck. My very long hair almost went up in flames. Bottle rocket wars are for sissies. The people I met where I worked made the rest of the FL experience bearable. The playuhs can hang out at Libido, er Lido, Key. As much as living in Bradenton Beach was sketchy, Coquino beach is a nice beach, in my opinion. And if the rents have gone up, its probably nicer now.
    I see hydraulic turtles.