4 season tent - Hillman?

Saw this on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKNKPLL...ustomerReviews

Anyone use this? I have the Trango 3 which is bomber but also like 11lbs, looking for a winter camping tent for skiing that's solid but lighter than what i have.

Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JAREDS View Post
    Saw this on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKNKPLL...ustomerReviews

Anyone use this? I have the Trango 3 which is bomber but also like 11lbs, looking for a winter camping tent for skiing that's solid but lighter than what i have.

Thanks for any advice.
    I know nothing of the tent you linked, but you definitely would be going from an extreme bomber tent to the other extreme of extremely cheap and possibly limited effectiveness and short term durability.

Lots of used options on ebay / craigslist, especially if you are okay with a 6 - 7 lb tent. It also really depends on where you are using it. Will you be pitching above treeline in wind and extreme conditions? If you are willing to look for more protected areas in the trees, etc. you can even get away with a 3 season tent with higher sidewalls of non mesh. If you really want to shave weight you could look at a pyramid style tent with a single center pole.

Tunnel style tents can be really good for high wind if pitched correctly, but won't take a huge snow load as readily as cross pole designs. I guess the price is right on the Amazon tent, and I have heard good things about some of the less expensive tents like Naturehike. I have also read that they tend to run on the short side, so if you are 6 ft or taller be sure you will fit comfortably.

I bought a Vango F10 Xenon UL2 for winter forays, but it does take some thought on site selection when pitching if you are expecting a lot of snow. I like that it's very roomy and reasonably light. About 170 clams more than the one you linked though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61wrisQH9gL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	272716

thanks.

yeah i'm in the Sierra so it's not super cold but man the wind is gnarly up on the crest. usually do 1-2 nighters - the Trango 3 is bomber but heavy; on the lighter end i have the BD Beta Light which is a little too primitive for me - want bomber and light but don't wanna snow camp lol.

last december i did a few days with a group in BC near Pemberton - the guides were super gnarly dudes, they had a Hillman dome tent that held up well and seemed pretty good, that's why i posted this specific tent...was hoping someone had used it.

thanks for your input.

4 season tent - Hillman?

You sure they weren’t in a hilleberg?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My thought too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    My thought too...
    OMG I am an idiot, that's it. Just checked on their fb page it's Hilleberg.
    DUPED BY THE CHINESE OFF-BRANDS AGAIN!

Makes a lot more sense now Thanks!

Yeah. Night vs. Day

Here is something in your price range that might work. Still not the lightest, but this era of SD tents were pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SIERRA-DESI...8AAOSwZcZccPsx

I had a Hilleberg tent similar to the tent pictured above. Great tent, but fiddly as noted. Much harder to pitch correctly, and much harder to dry out before packing. Lite and tough though.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Get a pyramid style tent as they're super versatile and strong in adverse weather. I'd normally recommend the BD MegaMid, but I just came across these dudes - they're a cottage brand that sell a nice UL tent for pretty cheap.

https://bivysack.com/shop?olsPage=pr...p-10x10&page=2