Pre-teen ski boots for large Feet

I'm sure many of you have had similar problems. However, I am looking for a ski boot for my 12 soon to be 13 year old. He has been skiing about 10-15 days per winter since he is 3 so he is definitely an advance intermediate skier despite his Mom and I having a poor choice of living in North Carolina(kind of kidding but we do like living here for everyreason except access to skiing). The problem I am having is that he is about 150lbs and wears a size 11 athletic shoe. Probably a 28 mondo if we were somewhat aggressive on fit. He really does love to ski and will fly any time I can swing days off or road trip with his old man. The problem is that he is only about 5"5" and while getting taller, most Men's boots are either too tall relative to his pre teen leg length. Youth boots are probably out as well. Women's boots? Certain brands to look out for. What say the Dad's and mom's here with those pre-teens. Anyone else have this problems. He will be on Volkl gotamas and can carve and ski just about anywhere. Just lookin for feedback based on experience for this awkward season.

Lange RS SC (Short Cuff). The flex options are 120, 110, 90, 70. All 4 models come in a 97mm last and come in sizes all the way up to 28.5.
    Lange RS SC Line
    Lange made a model change this year (new colours) so previous models can be found cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Worth mentioning that the same boot line is available in different colours from Rossi as the Rossignol Hero SC

Lange SC is a good option. Also, I think the Head B5 comes in a 27.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Nordica and Tecnica have 60 flex boots that go to a 28.5
    Click. Point. Chute.

Is the Flexon / Full Tilt boot too tall for your boy? Get the correct length and add a #4 (or #6) flex tongue?

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Nordica and Tecnica have 60 flex boots that go to a 28.5
    Would you really put a 150lb, 15 year old, advance intermediate growing boy in a 60 flex boot?
    The only fit issue the OP is trying to compensate for is a short leg length, or problem with a tall boot cuff on smaller leg.

Pre-teen ski boots for large Feet

Sure would w a Full tilt if the narrow fit works. Inexpensive boot so will not hurt wallet that much when he grows out of it by next season. 6 tongue not really a "60" flex. If his skiing ramps up before his feet grow again can always throw on a 8 tongue for minimal expense. Alternatively you can (should) install a booster strap. Intuition liner. 13yr old = park/steeze is important. Size 11 is most likely a 27.5. The worst thing you can do to him is size up for growth. Consult your local boot pro if you can find a good one in your area. From a dad of three freestyle comp teens.
    That Don't Make No Sense

but a boot that flexes and fits right, and if needed cut down the shell lower?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    Sure would w a Full tilt if the narrow fit works. Inexpensive boot so will not hurt wallet that much when he grows out of it by next season. 6 tongue not really a "60" flex. If his skiing ramps up before his feet grow again can always throw on a 8 tongue for minimal expense. Alternatively you can (should) install a booster strap. Intuition liner. 13yr old = park/steeze is important. Size 11 is most likely a 27.5. The worst thing you can do to him is size up for growth. Consult your local boot pro if you can find a good one in your area. From a dad of three freestyle comp teens.
    Thanks for all the awesome replies. I did wind up finding him a boot this Saturday. As an ex shop rat who fit boots for 5 seasons I don't usually trust the local salespeople. I just need access to the products. We are somewhat lucky to have a local ski shop and with hurricane matthew washing out the day, he was fine accompanying me. He loves skiing so we tried on more then a few boots which for all you people with tweens, that is half the battle. For the record he is 12 soon to be 13. So he is a solid kid. Very dense and muscular for his age with the big feet. Managed to get him in an atomic Hawk 27.5. Flex is about 80. The cuff was much lower then a number of the boots we tried and he immediately could tell the difference. As a longtime Garmont EnerG lover(RIP, they died last season) I did consider some Full Tilts, however to be honest they were hitting him too high on the Calf. The good new is the boots were marked down about 70% off. I have a younger son who is built the complete opposite, he is wispy light and a bag of bones. I had to get him new boots because despite a closet full of gently used big brother boots we must have skipped his size. He may be able to wear these in about 8 years. I have to remind myself how much we all love skiing because my house is like a miniature version of the backcountry.com warehouse. Living in NC I have outfitted countless schoolmates and neighborhood kids with all our leftover gear. I love it though. Thanks for the advise.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    bumping this for a similar, but different circumstance. my 12 yr old has big uberwide forefeet, but is lighter than OP's kid, about 85 lbs currently. intermediate skier, likes pushing himself but still very much working on form, fundamentals. I shell fit him to a 26, 26.5. He needs the low cuff, but what flex do you think I should be after? I want to enable his progression but don't want to put him in something that is overly aggressive from a flex standpoint. I'm thinking 70 is too stiff for his weight/ability? Maybe 50 - 60 better range? Which leads me to wondering if a wmn's boot makes more sense. thanks.

I’ve had best luck with kids stiffness for my oldest. We made it to 26.5 with the tecnica kids boot last season.

My oldest will be 14 this season, a little over 100#, and almost size 10 shoe. Still lots of growing going on for him. I’m concerned that it’s going to be challenging finding something that works for him, is not too stiff, and is not too expensive. We’ve always done well scoring used gear.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    thanks Bodywhomper - that's where my head was initially at... keep him at a Junior/Youth stiffness, until I learned that Youth/Junior + wide last is a rare combo, at least from my research.

Full Tilts will be your friend on this one. Come in 98 and 102 lasts, most with intuition liners. They generally flex softer, think #4 or # 6 tongues Easy on and off plus they check the cool factor box. Price point is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense