Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The SVST arrived today and I took it for a spin. It is clearly a superior tool, and my observations were correct, that you can perform cutting depth adjustments in flight by rotating the device while using it. I find this to be a good feature, because the depth on the sidewalls isn't consistent so backing off or getting slightly more aggressive without having to stop and reset the depth setting is a very nice feature. If you can control a file, you can easily control this tool.

I learned that cutting near the tip and tail is still challenging, because the ends of the skis chatter, so in this sense, my inherited Swix wasn't as bad as I thought it was. With the SVST however, I can back off on the aggressiveness of the cut in these areas to reduce the chatter. Anchoring the skis closer to the ends helps a bit as well. At the end of the day, if this area is important to you, an educated hand and a panzer file is still your best friend.

I likely would have been equally happy had I opted for the FKS/Kunzman.

PSA: I'm going to put the Swix on the gear swap for $8.00 - to cover Priority Mail, PayPal 3% and my time.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-28-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

OK, I'm dredging this thread out of the long distant past.....

Had to prep a new GS race ski today which reminded me how much I hate my SkiMan sidewall planer.
    I've got one like this with the round blade:
    Name:  sidewall_sharp-1_large.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  55.0 KB
    I find the round cutter sucks - on mine it cannot be pulled in to cut close enough to the edge so you have to cut really deep to get next to the edge and I would end up with a concave channel in the sidewall above the edge.

I've done the panzar file thing - both freehand and using guide held at greater angle - it works and is probably better but isn't the most convenient.
    The FKS Pro 3148 looks pretty good but $125??

So:
    • Can I put a square cutter on my skiman? Will that address my issues or not?
    • There's one (Beast??) I saw that puts a really short panzar file on a 7* side edge guide. Is that any good?
    • Galibier - you still liking the SVST?
    • Alpinord - what you got that might work for me? Can I still order FKS thru you if I decide to go that way?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    OK, I'm dredging this thread out of the long distant past.....

Had to prep a new GS race ski today which reminded me how much I hate my SkiMan sidewall planer.
    I've got one like this with the round blade:
    Name:  sidewall_sharp-1_large.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  55.0 KB
    I find the round cutter sucks - on mine it cannot be pulled in to cut close enough to the edge so you have to cut really deep to get next to the edge and I would end up with a concave channel in the sidewall above the edge.

I've done the panzar file thing - both freehand and using guide held at greater angle - it works and is probably better but isn't the most convenient.
    The FKS Pro 3148 looks pretty good but $125??

So:
    • Can I put a square cutter on my skiman? Will that address my issues or not?
    • There's one (Beast??) I saw that puts a really short panzar file on a 7* side edge guide. Is that any good?
    • Galibier - you still liking the SVST?
    • Alpinord - what you got that might work for me? Can I still order FKS thru you if I decide to go that way?

thanks
    I'd try the square blade first. I can send you mine for a test drive. (send shipping particulars).

All SkiMan manufactured, Toko/Swix/Briko-Maplus, etc side wall planers use the same round or square blade options. The Tokos come with square blade.

I can order the FK/SKS/Kunzmann Pro Sidewall trimmer, Swix World Cup or the SVST, among other options. They can get spendy, so I'd improve the one in hand first.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

If Terry's awesome gesture doesn't work for you, get the SVST through him. It's a great tool.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

FTR, the Swix Side Wall Cutter World cup uses the same blades as the SkiMan mfgr'd planers, including economy through Pros.

The SVSt & FK/SKS/Kunzmann Pro Sidewall trimmer have unique cutters.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

^^That's very kind of you Terry, much appreciate the offer. Going to need a few other tuning things pretty soon so will probably just order one from you at same time.

And update....

Last night I pulled apart my SkiMan and found that the spring behind the cutter blade piece that was stopping it tightening in enough. Removed the spring and I’ve lost the ability to micro adjust the cutter blade in and out but its a couple of mm closer in and I’m able to use just the depth adjusters to now get it to cut right next to the edge.

Still going to try the square blade soon but for now it is working much better.

I just freehand it with a sharp metal scraper. What is this, epicski???

FWIW Fk-SKS-Kunsmann side wall strippers are due Monday, along with spare blades.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-12-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

My swix works great.

http://www.racewax.com/sidewall-cutt...-planer-ta103/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I communicated with Rick at Tools4Boards regarding his new Switch edge tool system with modular side edge (2, 3, 4 & 5 degree), base edge, side wall cutter (7°) and wax scraper sharpener (0°) options. I asked if he had plans to add a planer blade attachment like Fk-SKS Kunzmann has for their guides. Here is his response and a digital video of the side wall cutter (7°):

Regarding adding sidewall cutter capability to the tools, the 7 degree bar facilitates sidewall removal using either a panzer file or the coarse side of the Combi-cut file, it’s superior to any sidewall cutter as there are multiple teeth in contact with the plastic and it won’t dig in. Also, even the most experienced skiman tears too much sidewall when using a cutter (normal protocol is to remove more sidewall after filing edge 4-5 times). The sidewall provides structural support for the edge and when too much material is removed at the very least the edge collapses when pressure is applied on snow, or worst case the cutter cuts into the structural side of the ski causing delamination. Our new Switch Cut and 7-0 sidewall/scraper sharpener removes only a small amount of sidewall, just enough to slightly expose the metal side edge for filing and allows the user to readily take down the sidewall each time the side edge is filed.

I'm not sure that I entirely agree that the planer blade's depths can't be controlled. On some side walls, I definitely do prefer the clean cut of a planer knife vs a panzer or coarse file. If you do use a panzer, you can then use a finer file and sand paper to smooth out the remnants after cutting.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    .....I'm not sure that I entirely agree that the planer blade's depths can't be controlled.....
    I agree. Rick's talking bollux. The three Kunzmann sidewall planers that I sell here in the UK all have depth stops.

The Kunzmann Pro is still the best on the market for ease of use, speed/accuracy of the multi-axis adjustment and price, and I've tried 'em all. I'm still using the same one I mentioned in post #7 back in Jan 2011 so it's got to have done well in excess of 5000 pairs of skis. Although I did renew the blade a few years ago!