Page 74 of 98 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2438
    Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    omg /SICK! thinking of adding an Ice Ax to your pack????
    Do you think I'm stupid? I had 3 in case I dropped one...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    Do you think I'm stupid? I had 3 in case I dropped one...
    with all the weight you saved with those helio poles you can afford to carry an extra ice axe

that video was rad. nicely done

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    visibility was in and out, but when it was in, we noticed this ramp...

Attachment 277481
    MMUUUUAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    What MW isn't saying is that I spotted the ramp in a pic he posted earlier in the week and my devious brain immediately thought of dragging him up there under false pretenses for a surprise send. You don't want to think about a line like that for too long or you'll keep finding more and more reasons not to ski it: too steep, too much exposure, snow will be shitty, too many sketchy jump turns over that big old cliff, etc... It's better to walk right up to it and start booting before your brain catches up. I didn't bring anything sharp to avoid alerting MW to my plans (and as a result ended up shitting myself a wee bit on the steepest part of the booter where 4" of sugar barely covered the quartzite) but he's smart and brought an ice axe just in case. Oh well, I'll do better at concealing my plans next time.

Here's a short vid of some of the line with a bunch of snow hucking the cliff, constantly reminding you of what would happen if you botched a turn.

It took a couple seconds to unclench my buttcheekz after watching that. TallyHo my adventurous friends!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

it's hard to see in the video but I'm skiing with an ice axe in my hand along with my ski pole... definitely the most exposure I've skied over / most gripped I've been this year, though I did feel pretty Cham-core when I got to tuck the axe under my shoulder strap for the lower half descent lol

Hell ya mw and boissai! That's definitely the coolest ramp in that area and has caught my attention before! I've only seen tracks down it one other time, well done!

Jtrue, was the second line you skied on Pieff the bottom of Plinko?! that down stepping looked pretty fun, reminded me of "skiing" out of lisa falls earlier this year ha Rad video and thanks for beta on the NW

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Hell ya mw and boissai! That's definitely the coolest ramp in that area and has caught my attention before! I've only seen tracks down it one other time, well done!

Jtrue, was the second line you skied on Pieff the bottom of Plinko?! that down stepping looked pretty fun, reminded me of "skiing" out of lisa falls earlier this year ha Rad video and thanks for beta on the NW
    It was the bottom of Plinko, fun steep little shot! The sneak this year in Lisa was fully skiable when we got it, amazing how fast things change.

it's hard to see in the video but I'm skiing with an ice axe in my hand along with my ski pole... definitely the most exposure I've skied over / most gripped I've been this year, though I did feel pretty Cham-core when I got to tuck the axe under my shoulder strap for the lower half descent lol

ahh..tis hard to see

I never considered a peak that steep..i been to the base before...it's super intimidating.

..are you guys choosing the firmer conditions ,so your avalanche danger is lower on that run ,then with a fresh layer of snowpack?

I have seen one video ,a few years back , someone or a group(cant remember) ,nailed it with some decent snow .. after rappelling in /though I don't know what face was skied that time either.

again/Kudos !
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    ..are you guys choosing the firmer conditions ,so your avalanche danger is lower on that run ,then with a fresh layer of snowpack?
    kind of a "take when you get" approach I suppose, we did have a fresh ~1.5" or so lol

definitely made the wrong call this morning...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MEH.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	277809

needs a little sun, a little rain and another couple weeks most likely

kind of a "take when you get" approach I suppose, we did have a fresh ~1.5" or so lol

Name:	MEH.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	277809

needs a little sun, a little rain and another couple weeks most likely
    Agreed, also fun to "test yourself" in varying conditions so you can deal with unexpected conditions in other situations. Snow conditions significantly change how you can approach a line and the method in which you slide down it.

more character building : )

also fun to "test yourself" in varying conditions so you can deal with unexpected conditions in other situations. Snow conditions significantly change how you can approach a line and the method in which you slide down it.
    ^^ and totally agree. sweet video btw

Agreed, also fun to "test yourself" in varying conditions so you can deal with unexpected conditions in other situations. Snow conditions significantly change how you can approach a line and the method in which you slide down it.
    Definitely yeah, I also like to change up the skis I'm bringing sometimes (ski pow on my skinny skis, ski crust on my pow skis, etc) for the same reason.

Fun day on the Pfeifferhorn albeit firm.

Gotta hand it to you, that's some great dry skiing.

Went to the udot open house for canyon transportation plan tonight. They had everything from tolls, BRT, rail, gondolas. They were really just getting input on various things that have been proposed before but one of the rail routes showed a tunnel from LCC to BCC with the rail line in the middle of honeycomb/days... Yikes. Here's a link for public comments: http://www.udot.utah.gov/cottonwoodcanyons/

They handed out a bunch of stuff that's not on the website. I'll scan and upload at work tomorrow.

On a brighter note, the forecast looks great for the next few days. I think it's time for everybody to get out their bikes and climbing shoes...

^^^

I've said this a few times before. But I expect a third lane and a gondola in LCC for the 2030 Olympics, with a ski event at Snowbird. Not going to give further info but I'd easily say the possibility is more than 50/50. Everything else is a smoke screen.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^^^

I've said this a few times before. But I expect a third lane and a gondola in LCC for the 2030 Olympics, with a ski event at Snowbird. Not going to give further info but I'd easily say the possibility is more than 50/50. Everything else is a smoke screen.

i would absolutely fucking love a gondola, also to BCC and over to PC. An actual transportation solution.
    Yes, it costs money. U wanna go Euro w your ski passes, well let's go Euro w our transport. Why the hell not???

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^^^

Yeah I been saying gondola a long time. Olympics bid will get it done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

[QUOTE=altacoup;5644928]^^^

I've said this a few times before. But I expect a third lane and a gondola in LCC for the 2030 Olympics, with a ski event at Snowbird. Not going to give further info but I'd easily say the possibility is more than 50/50. Everything else is a smoke screen

Whistler's 2.73 mile Gondola cost $51 million to build in 2007. No idea what it looks like but assume construction was much easier than building in LCC and LCC is not a straight shot even from the mouth which I think you would have to back it down to gain extra space. Add parking and multiple unloading, loading stations and this is easily hundreds of millions if not a billion $.

I really want a gondola too. I'm skeptical that it will happen in the next decade but it would be the ultimate solution if accompanied by good transit and/or parking to get to it.

I'm starting to think I should have made myself get out of bed before the LCC closure this morning, I was awake but just couldn't motivate. Hoping the road opens on time, switching to snow in the valley now.

It's snowing...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

it’s good out there... mid-winter good

Name:	IMG_6143.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	277949

Name:	IMG_6144.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	277950

also a bit touchy, skied off a soft slab coming out the bottom of the wp mini chute.

Name:	IMG_6145.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	820.8 KB 
ID:	277951

get some (but heads up)

edit: getoutside got all the good pics this morning...

Name:	wintersback3.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	277954

Name:	wintersback.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	277955

Name:	wintersback2.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	277956

good times skiing with you as always
    Last edited by mall walker; 04-10-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    It's snowing...
    Sure as shit.

LCC closure 1415 est reopening 1530

I broke my midrange lens on my Coalpit trip a few weeks ago, so no good pics for a while without shooting really wide or really tight.

it’s good out there... mid-winter good
    For real! Alta skied great this morning. Much better than expected after the conditions yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    It's snowing...
    That it is... I was wondering if I had taken a wrong (kick)turn and ended up in January again.
    Buddy Greg was glad I dragged him out of bed for this:

Name:	00063XTR_00063_BURST20190410093821.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	277976

Name:	00095XTR_00095_BURST20190410093821.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	277977

Name:	00103XTR_00103_BURST20190410093821.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	277978

As MW noted though, things are very touchy out there. Winds have been cranking from the NE much harder than what I expected and sensitive drifts are everywhere.

No lines, faceshots all morning until I left at 1. Rolled up to the merge around 825 and did have to manage the Februapril traffic, but was still on Collins by 925.

Thinking I'm gonna go do that again tomorrow AM at alta. Anyone wanna ski?

Well as promised, here are the scans of the handouts from the udot meeting. For my penance for starting this shit again, I promise to post some decent stoke over the next few days. (Oh and it totally makes sense they are thinking about a gondola for the Olympics)

Name:	noreply@gmail.com_20190410_141915_001.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	936.8 KB 
ID:	277980

Name:	noreply@gmail.com_20190410_142031.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	341.3 KB 
ID:	277983

Name:	noreply@gmail.com_20190410_142032.jpg