Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    So the r104 is their “playful charger?”
    No, it is their nearly center mounted freestyle ski. It can be skied fast by a skilled rider, but the short shovels and deep rocker lines do not make for a charger. Pop over stuff, not hatefuck the mountain type ski.

It is a very good wider Revolt though, so if your son is a park skier at heart and used to a more centered mount point, it will still probably be more fun for him than a really directional ski with a -10 to -12 mount point that would require a very different stance.

Re skier two in this flick (multiple clips throughout)

I skied 116-124mm skis the same days, and would not have wanted to ski a R104 at all - so I am kinda impressed with how well he skied the R104s given that Revolt121s would have been the more appropriate choice by a mile imho.

I am not sure Vólkl offer anything one can label as playful charger these days. All the metal skis are "just" chargers, and while say the Blazes can be skied fast and are loose at speed, they still lack the weight to be anything close to being a charger wrt top end, let alone mount point re playful.

I appreciate the input/responses. Thanks!!

Agree on gap in line. I’d buy a Volkl version of the Rustler just to try a more progressive mount in betweenish weight ski. I’m an old fart and the full metal Volkl are probably not for me. Shocked how stable the one step down Volkls are.
    Was hoping they would bring out a new Revolt 95 shaped like the 104, but it didn’t happen. So I bought a Black Crowes Serpo but was not able to ski it before my season ended. -7ish mount, some metal, 2-3mm camber rather than 1-2mm, but camber seems a little stiffer than Volkl. have to wait until next season to see if it’s the droid I was looking for.

Why did they discontinue the confession? Has anyone skied that?

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    It looks a lot like a wider katana or a beefed up BMT?

I haven't tried them but they look fun.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

https://vermont.craigslist.org/spo/d...461445932.html

last VTA I posted someone wanted. Just saw those. Seems like a decent deal for $350 even to just get to skis and toes and replace the heels with a ST or something from the skimo parts list, or just send the her back to dynafit and see what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    It looks a lot like a wider katana or a beefed up BMT?
    I have never skied them, but Confessions (2370. - 10, slight camber underfoot) are kinda different from Katana VWs (weight 1900-2000, mount point - 14, construction, full rocker), that are also quite different to BMT109s (weight 1600-1700, less torsional stiffness, mount point -10, full rocker).

Most of the reviews I've seen on the Confession were kinda "meh", and I doubt they sold a lot of them - the market for a 117mm wide titanal charger is kinda limited. Their rocker lines actually somewhat resembles the newer metal ski with long, low rockered zones, so it could be that they are decently versatile outside of lines in Alaska too.

The best ski in this segment that I have been on are ON3P Wrenegade 114s - they are awesome. I am guessing that their new Wrenegade 110 pro is an even better tool for bigger, stronger skiers.

Sorry to comment so much - not meant as a play by play commentary on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post

Most of the reviews I've seen on the Confession were kinda "meh", and I doubt they sold a lot of them - the market for a 117mm wide titanal charger is kinda limited. Their rocker lines actually somewhat resembles the newer metal ski with long, low rockered zones, so it could be that they are decently versatile outside of lines in Alaska too.
    I think other skis just did its intended job better or were more versatile. Even a casual glance at the rocker profile of the ski supports the impression of a diet-Bodacious. Super fall-line committed but without the same fuck-the-conditions stability, and I suspect for those that have ridden both the experience on the confessions had that aspartame-esque feeling of disappointment. Doesn't surprise me if the model was overall a dud.

I have never skied them, but Confessions (2370. - 10, slight camber underfoot) are kinda different from Katana VWs (weight 1900-2000, mount point - 14, construction, full rocker), that are also quite different to BMT109s (weight 1600-1700, less torsional stiffness, mount point -10, full rocker).

The best ski in this segment that I have been on are ON3P Wrenegade 114s - they are awesome. I am guessing that their new Wrenegade 110 pro is an even better tool for bigger, stronger skiers.

Sorry to comment so much - not meant as a play by play commentary on my part.
    sweet. Thanks for the google search, I have a blister membership also. Back to my original question, has anyone skied it?

kid do you actually ski or just google shit on the interwebs all day and regurgitate it for others that are too lazy to google? And you seem to be lost. This isn’t the ON3P thread. Those skis are straight fucking garbage.

best ski in that class is the Bodacious. Always will be.

kid do you actually ski or just google shit on the interwebs all day and regurgitate it for others that are too lazy to google? And you seem to be lost. This isn’t the ON3P thread. Those skis are straight fucking garbage..
    man, having a bad week? If my posts annoy you, then act like a grown up and just ignore them eh.

Or even better, when asking for insights into something, why not start out providing some context; like I've been on these similar skis, I've read these reviews, and so on? That way people can try to help from an understanding of what you already know. I find that most people do not seem to bother to find any type of info on any piece of gear before asking a question on it, so pointing people in the way of where info can be found is my MO. I also try to merge it with my experience from the various skis I've been over the least 5-10 years (quite a few by now), with the shit loads of reviews I've read and discussion I've had with people more knowledgeable than me about skis - and post something I hope can approach meaningful insights into how something skis. I've also skied enough of the same skis that Blister have written reviews on that I actually trust most of what they say as I usually agree with their reviews. If the above does not float your boat, fine.

You seem to be happy enough with you BCs, without anybody else seeming to have the same urge to shit on your fanboyery the same way you seem to need to shit on other mags as of late - so good on you for finding skis you like.

But sorry to try to help, I am sure that a lot of folks are dying to spend time trying to actually help you now.

My context was “has anyone skied these?” Were you confused by that?

You initial question was:

Why did they discontinue the confession?
    I answered; because they probably sold next to none and all the reviews I've seen on them were lukewarm at best - So sold like shit, skied like noting special. You did not specify that one had to be able to reply to both questions in order to qualify to fucking help you. Oh well - I will refrain from wasting any more of both our times in the future and answering your posts. Good to know.

Now, might I suggest that you go and fix whatever it is in your personal life that is making you post like your last few posts in this thread and the woman powder ski, before you feel like going after any other mags if the replies you get (aka people taking the time to try and help you) are not 100% what you were hoping that they'd be? If there is nothing to fix and everyting is swell - good, then put on your big boy pants and try to act like one.

Chill bro

PSA: $170 2014 177 Mantras in very good shape https://lonepinegearx.com/collection...-binding-e7ab2

I skied the 188cm revolt 104 today at recommended. Fun and very approachable ski with a decent top end on groomers.

It actually carved pretty good at recommended and didn’t feel too weird but I also wouldn’t hate more tip. Has anyone mounted them back? The tails are just softer and more tapered than the tip so I worry going back can lead it to get a bit tippy.

Just picked up a pair of 2018 193s. Gonna slap a Forza P15 on em and find out if they're the wide, versatile, metal laminate, variable conditions charger I seek. They look fun at the very least.

Anybody know what the factory tune on the Mantra 102s is?

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Anybody know what the factory tune on the Mantra 102s is?
    Pretty sure all non-race volkls are 2/1 side/base

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

cross post from the spring touring ski thread:

I spent my time A-B-ing these two (BMT90 177/Vipecs and BMT94 186/Tectons) skis in spring slush/corn at the resort today. I also brought a pair of M-Free 108s, but they stayed in the car for the duration.

Attachment 413566
    Findings? BMT94 deserves all the hype and then some. Absolutely great. If you can track down a second hand pair then you've found what is the best spring conditions ski I've been on. So much fun, yet skis like a more substantial ski than they ought to given their weighth. Mounted a +1. Tectons is what I had unmounted, so on they went. The 186s are a bit long for me at 175/68kg nekkid for touring, but their performance on the down might be worth the extra faff on the way up. Might try to get my hands of 176s too.

I love BMT90s too, but the 94s are just next level great. The 90s are bit more lively and gives you more of a pop out of turns. Surprisingly capable on firm snow and groomers. I thought they were as good a narrow touring ski as I could hope to get before getting on the 94s.

I prefer BMT90s to Mantra V Werks. I prefer the width of the MVWs for most conditions, but the 178s have this softer spot in the foreski/shovels that I am not sold on. BMT90s are more uniform in their flex. I keep getting the idea to pick up some new MVWs (would be my fifth pair if so), but I can't really see the need now.

Crazy that Volkl dumbed down the BMT94 with the 90. Now both have been discontinued. Would be interested in a rocker comparison since I may have to settle for a BMT90 if I see them available

BMT90s+109s return unchanged for 22/23 besides a new graphic (black with red/green lettering), as do KVWs and MVWs according to the local Völkl rep (same guy that said that they are working on a wider Blaze and mid-11x Revolt). Or, I've seen the various V Werks skis in next year's catalogue (I do not have it, looked at it in a store), so no ambiguity there.

But yes, it is crazy that they stopped making BMT94s. They are freaking magical.

BMT90s 177
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_1972609526.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	317.8 KB 
ID:	413571
    Mantra V Werks 178

Name:	425_28586683.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	413574
    BMT90s have some slight camber underfoot. More or less identical to MVWs, or MVWs are rather the same as BMT90s

BBMT94 186

Name:	695_1955952247.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	413572
    BMT122 176

Name:	245_1448446111.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	413575
    BMT94s have less rocker than 109s and 122s especially (which of course makes a ton of sense), and are pretty flat throughout. They are stiffer throughout than BMT90s too.

To post these again:

Name:	1636437027-voelkl-bmt-90.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	413578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636435927-voelkl-bmt-94.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	413576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636435909-voelkl-bmt-109.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	413579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636364365-voelkl-mantra-v-werks.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	413577
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	870_1281240060.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	413573  

Good to hear at least there are some BMTs coming back next year. I talked to a Volkl rep a few weeks ago who said no more BMTs at all next year but maybe that is just for the US market. The 90s are just so sad looking next to the 94s, so much more sidecut.. why.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Good to hear at least there are some BMTs coming back next year. I talked to a Volkl rep a few weeks ago who said no more BMTs at all next year but maybe that is just for the US market. The 90s are just so sad looking next to the 94s, so much more sidecut.. why.
    They take yet another price hike though, so that could be why if they are not sold over yonder.

BMT90s and MVWs are just a tad different skis than BMT94s. All are great, if for slightly different skiers. The most noticable difference is in their flex patterns though, not how their shapes make the behave as such - or at least, that is my experience thus far.

The general consensus is that BMT90s and MVWs should tour better for most users than BMT94s, though I do not think there is a lot of difference on the skin track between them to be honest. Especially BMT90s caters to a larger audience though, with people taking the step up from VTA/Rizes. BMT94s and MVWs are more niche.

Got to see an early pair of next year's Faction La Machine Mini. Why am I posting here? Well they are a directional, fully rockered lightweight touring ski, and our only hope for a BMT successor. Wasn't able to get a specific weight, and the 19m radius seems short but I'm still excited to try them next season.

Name:	faction1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	800.9 KB 
ID:	413595 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faction2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	701.2 KB 
ID:	413596 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faction3.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	868.9 KB 
ID:	413597

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Got to see an early pair of next year's Faction La Machine Mini. Why am I posting here? Well they are a directional, fully rockered lightweight touring ski, and our only hope for a BMT successor. Wasn't able to get a specific weight, and the 19m radius seems short but I'm still excited to try them next season.

Name:	faction1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	800.9 KB 
ID:	413595 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faction2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	701.2 KB 
ID:	413596 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faction3.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	868.9 KB 
ID:	413597
    Good looking ski but lots of tip rocker, very very different than the BMT-94

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk