Page 30 of 175 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    My kids learned at Donner Ski Ranch--that was the next step up from Tahoe Donner and two steps up from the free pony tow at Squaw. My most vivid memory of DSR is sitting on the deck next to the owner and the head of security as the watched some guy steal a pair of bait skis from the rack. DSR and Boreal had a lot of thefts; maybe they still do.

Speaking about ski thief’s on nov 30th my buddy got his JJ’s with kingpin bindings stolen at Kirkwood, guess kirkwood told him that 6 other pairs got stolen that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a pretty legit lineup for a smaller/local film festival. Most of those titles played one or both of the two major film festivals I just wrapped up working on. I haven’t had a chance to see most of them but often smaller festivals have some pretty uneven programming, to be kind. There are only a couple I’m not familiar with and nothing that’s an obvious dog.

I definitely hope to see ROMA in a 4K theater while it’s still doing a theatrical run. It’s got a best picture shot (fwiw) and I don’t think watching it streaming would do it justice. I’d be surprised if incline village was 4K but Netflix didn’t let us show it with less than 4K image and 7.1 sound.

This is probably a considerable financial outlay and a breakeven proposition at best for the organizers, so if you think it’s cool or interesting please go support.

All i know is that I ordered a kirkwood pass two weeks before going up, waited in line for an hour and fifteen minutes on a powder day to get it. Spilled my thermos so I bought a cup of coffee - $6 for small brewed coffee

Rose got snow made and a beginner wrod open a month earlier, their staff make me feel warm and fuzzy and if I end up needing to buy something there I don't feel like I'm being treated like a tourist

Anyone have suggestions gloves that will fit over a wrist cast? May have some old big mitts that'll work. Years of skiing and rock climbing and I slipped taking the trash out and broke my wrist on Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    That’s a pretty legit lineup for a smaller/local film festival. Most of those titles played one or both of the two major film festivals I just wrapped up working on. I haven’t had a chance to see most of them but often smaller festivals have some pretty uneven programming, to be kind. There are only a couple I’m not familiar with and nothing that’s an obvious dog.

I definitely hope to see ROMA in a 4K theater while it’s still doing a theatrical run. It’s got a best picture shot (fwiw) and I don’t think watching it streaming would do it justice. I’d be surprised if incline village was 4K but Netflix didn’t let us show it with less than 4K image and 7.1 sound.

This is probably a considerable financial outlay and a breakeven proposition at best for the organizers, so if you think it’s cool or interesting please go support.
    http://tahoefilmfest.org/

I am bummed that they are showing The Other Side of the Wind so early in the day on Sunday (f$%king work!).
    I also noticed that a number of the films they are showing are already streaming on NF...so curious as to whether or not the fest got a deal from NF to screen these films...

Interesting line-up, to be sure, since, as you said, many of the films have already made the festival rounds, have played in major markets (SF/LA/NY, etc) and some of them are even available on DVD or via streaming...

fwiw, Border is the official Swedish entry submitted to the Oscars this year...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Anyone have suggestions gloves that will fit over a wrist cast? May have some old big mitts that'll work. Years of skiing and rock climbing and I slipped taking the trash out and broke my wrist on Tuesday

I would look at ice fishing mitts...seriously...

I used a skin bag back in 2012. Somewhere in the beginning of the week I broke my hand in two spots. the cast was pretty warm so just the bag covered it and the jacket and cinched up nicely. But the video shows the progression nicely. Not sure what the black thing was that was my first choice. Then I went with xmas stocking plus plastic baggy. then i settled on the skin bag
    Last edited by powdork; 12-06-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    If you can't find your giant mitts, let me know. I'm pretty sure I still have some large Outdoor Research goretex shell mittens that'll fit over anything. They're uninsulated though -- just shells.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I learned to tele at DSR.

Not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

The sense I got from Norm Sayler when I last spoke to him, and my brother just the other day (works at SB), is that the SB homeowners/management are perfectly fine staying independent. I think the unique nature of that HOA and who owns there is pretty decent insulation from the industry trend. For now, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

^^^ Other friends that “work” there same the same. ^^^
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 12-06-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0822.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	258865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	258866

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Good pictures gimpy

thanks, chup. found old shell mits and will see how they work tomorrow or this weekend. hoping it'll work for touring but not banking on being able to hold a pole

I sold my wife's tacoma to norm sayler this summer. Dude seemed wasted at 10 a.m. on a weekday... plus buying a 15 yr old toyota to run a 'ski resort' with...doesn't get more OG than that

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Speaking about ski thief’s on nov 30th my buddy got his JJ’s with kingpin bindings stolen at Kirkwood, guess kirkwood told him that 6 other pairs got stolen that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Another thing I’ll blame on Vail. It is the type of crowd they attract

I’ve been leaving my skis on the racks for years with no issue.

Hope your buddy finds them on CL or somewhere.

DSR gets props for sure. And if I was up on the north shore more, I’d likely send beginners there. But the one time I skied there with Dookey and Shcralp and a few others, we were done by noon.

Good to hear SB is not getting swept up in this mess.

Anyone going to the Tahoe Adventure Film Festival Tomorrow?
    Looks like I may have an extra ticket.

Finally skiing tomorrow at SVUSAINTL...that is all.

I am sure glad the marketing departments have blessed our snow pack. Woot Woot for the Wood being 100% GAME ON!

And Ottime last Sunday people were waiting in line for 45 - 60 minutes to PURCHASE lift tickets. They were also walking 3 miles in Ski Boots to ski 1/2 of the mountain. Circa 2005/2006 it would easily take an hour to park and an hour to leave EVERY weekend if you were not early. They need to bring that vibe back.... and those JMetzger Group College Passes. The good ol days when you needed to ride with your own safety belay line.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Quick little update on conditions and a mis-adventure at Mt Rose. Check it out if you want!

https://www.nvbackcountry.com/single...Mt-Rose-Summit

Fun day at Rose on Wednesday as my kids school went from a two hour delay to full on snow day. Time to ski!

Name:	IMG_1182.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	910.6 KB 
ID:	258957
    A bit of traversing on the Slide side led to some fun turns in 8-10 inches of light dry pow.

Name:	IMG_1179.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	258956
    Looking South from the Winters lodge over the Washoe Valley. Weather did a bit of everything. Went from full blue above the cloud deck to....

Name:	IMG_1183 2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	791.6 KB 
ID:	258958
    Fully socked in within a matter of minutes. Rose doing its best impression on the PNW.

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	258959
    My boy getting some pow turns in. At age 14 I'm wondering how much longer I'll be better than him as time marches on?
    Fun day overall, but take care off the groomed as it's low tide out there. Would not recommend skis that you care about if your venturing off piste.

Wooh!
    Unexpected, untracked-ish soft serve at NS today.
    They opened backsude.
    Sorta pillow lines, even

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Today's BC report: North facing is still holding but anything with sun exposure is rapidly deteriorating. Mashed potatoes are imminent below 8k. The surface hoar on really sheltered spots is pretty thick and totally unconsolidated. I suspect a week if warm weather will smash it but pockets could persist...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1207181012.jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	258973

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I would think most areas would have at least five inches or more on top of the 12/4 hoar. this looks like new hoar on top of that from the past two nights which should only be above the inversion layer.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I would think most areas would have at least five inches or more on top of the 12/4 hoar. this looks like new hoar on top of that from the past two nights which should only be above the inversion layer.
    Triggered some pretty good sloughing to the 12/4 hoar layer yesterday. Once it gets weighted...watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Yeah, the 12/4 SH layer is 10 cm or so down in the pole creek/squaw valley area and nice and reactive to shovel tilts and ski cuts. It does look likely to persist until we get a warm and/or strong storm that blows it up. Get out there and ski and knock that shit down before it gets all loaded!

There was also a new layer of 3-5 mm surface hoar on the surface of the snow near and above treeline on shaded aspects on silver peak today.

Solar aspects did indeed get their melt on today and held a nice 5 cm sun crust on my way out at 3pm, but all shaded aspects were holding cold snow down to my car at 6200'. The weakass december sun is barely making it above the ridgelines so I don't agree that mashed potatoes below 8k is imminent for any aspect with a N component.

Too much fun out there right now. North facing is still money. West facing is real baked and real heavy.

Name:	Image1544310558.912697.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	259172

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums