Page 371 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 ... LastLast
Results 9,251 to 9,275 of 41810
    I also have heard suggestions that widespread usage of masks in the West will be culturally impossible. The story of the Czech Republic debunks this notion. Social media influencers campaigning to encourage DIY mask creation catalyzed an extraordinary mobilization by nearly the whole population. Within three days, there were enough masks for everyone in the country, and most people were wearing them. This was an entirely grass roots community effort.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    If only we could get masks. I would wear one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Seriously, WTF is wrong with them. There ARE no masks...
    Maybe read a little of the article. DIY is better than nothing. Anything that reduces the amount of virus shed in the environment will be better than nothing. Since it's quite possible to be asymptomatic and contagious everyone should wear them until antibody testing is widespread. Even then some sort of confirmation that you can't infect anyone (armbands or an ID on a lanyard around the neck, or something. Maybe a tatoo on the forehead.) should be shown if you don't want to wear a mask. I've been belaboring this point for days because it's true. #nomasknoentry #maskssavelives

^ all true ice. We’ve relegated to saying ok masks will prevent spread.
    The article seems to suggest (and also seems to be logic ?) that it will mitigate at least some of the contracting as well. How could it not.

Chinese Rat Flu

It doesn’t take a god damn rocket scientist to know that partially covering two main orifices into your body will do AT LEAST SOME good in preventing bad things getting into your body.
    The whole “ it doesn’t help” charade was because they didn’t want a toilet paper panic. Which of course, is still unavailable anywhere I’ve looked the past 3 weeks.

Masks don’t have to be complex to be effective. A 2013 paper tested a variety of household materials and found that something as simple as two layers of a cotton T-shirt is highly effective at blocking virus particles of a wide range of sizes. Oxford University found evidence this month for the effectiveness of simple fabric mouth and nose covers to be so compelling they now are officially acceptable for use in a hospital in many situations. Hospitals running short of N95-rated masks are turning to homemade cloth masks themselves; if it’s good enough to use in a hospital, it’s good enough for a walk to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    ^ all true ice. We’ve relegated to saying ok masks will prevent spread.
    The article seems to suggest (and also seems to be logic ?) that it will mitigate at least some of the contracting as well. How could it not.
    I'm sure that's right, no doubt it will help. At the very least you can't put your fingers in your mouth without being reminded that you don't want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm sure that's right, no doubt it will help. At the very least you can't put your fingers in your mouth without being reminded that you don't want to do that.
    this is why I wore gloves coming back; they reminded me of what I was touching.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    It doesn’t take a god damn rocket scientist to know that partially covering two main orifices into your body will do AT LEAST SOME good in preventing bad things getting into your body.
    The whole “ it doesn’t help” charade was because they didn’t want a toilet paper panic. Which of course, is still unavailable anywhere I’ve looked the past 3 weeks.
    Haaa, my daughter went to 3 stores looking for TP today and finally ended up at Wal mart, nothin. Then she looks up and there are unopened boxes on top of the shelves. Being 6 ft, she knocks a few down and EUREKA!!! We have TP for a month now
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

With regard to masks I use one while doing maintenance at work (they were purchased well before this) and I took one for my partner as well. I was at work yesterday and the owners wife asked me if I was wearing one because it was dusty (it was) or because I felt/was displaying symptoms. I'm not but I found it outright stupid to as given the current state. I'm wearing it because I have one and if we all did we'd be better off. I'll continue to wear it for the foreseeable future as well. Even in our community that has the most cases in our state getting people to do the easy shit doesn't seem to resonate and it frustrates the hell out of me.

What do the folk here think about how long this will last until we start to return to normal ( allowing businesses to open) I am thinking mid May at the earliest but more likely July as we are nowhere near the peak of this. I imagine that people won't be shaking hands or playing basketball for at least six months. The handshake may take years to come back if ever after this. I hope that some genius can get a vaccine fast tracked and end this nightmare.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

12-18 months when the vaccine is available

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    I quit wearing assless chaps last week because of this. Just trying to help.

To all the public wearing masks naysayers:

PERSPECTIVE
    Simple DIY masks could help flatten the curve. We should all wear them in public.
    When historians tally up the many missteps policymakers have made in response to the coronavirus pandemic, the senseless and unscientific push for the general public to avoid wearing masks should be near the top.
    The evidence not only fails to support the push, it also contradicts it. It can take a while for official recommendations to catch up with scientific thinking. In this case, such delays might be deadly and economically disastrous. It’s time to make masks a key part of our fight to contain, then defeat, this pandemic. Masks effective at “flattening the curve” can be made at home with nothing more than a T-shirt and a pair of scissors. We should all wear masks —store-bought or homemade — whenever we’re out in public.

Jeremy Howard is a distinguished research scientist at the University of San Francisco, founding researcher at fast.ai and a member of the World Economic Forum's Global AI Council.
    Nobel Price in Medicine level thinking there

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    If only we could get masks. I would wear one.
    Highlighted it, to save reading wall of text
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Heres where a bunch of your masks went. Feb7

https://www.state.gov/the-united-sta...l-coronavirus/

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks -.-
    Next step, why aren’t the grocery store stockers and restaurants serving take out food wearing them?

I been wearing one on transit and theatre since January. Grocery for a month I just keep a procedure mask in the car and re-use it. Better than nothing.

Re: Masks etc.

Wouldn't it be just too fucking funny if this Disease was found to be less transmissible if people would wash more often, give each other a little space and cover their nose/mouth?

Oh the ironing.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I posted this message on that shitty Nextdoor site and within 3 minutes had two people arguing that they didn’t have the means to make their own masks (out of a ripped up T-shirt) and that I should make and distribute them.

I posted this message on that shitty Nextdoor site and within 3 minutes had two people arguing that they didn’t have the means to make their own masks (out of a ripped up T-shirt) and that I should make and distribute them.
    You deserved it.

I'm in Vancouver.
    Going to sit down at my Juki 5500 tomorrow and bust off about 50-75 masks for those in the community who need them.
    PM me if you want one or i can ship if desparate.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You deserved it.
    Orly why

Orly why
    Posting on Nextdoor.

He was taking one for the team.

Chinese Rat Flu

Bill Gates on AC 360.

Genius.

Anyway, he says we’re fucked through May. And only if we’re on a countrywide lock down. And then he goes on to say the third world is totally fucked, and travel has to be restricted.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums