View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Praxis Rx

[QUOTE=AdironRider;6025222]I put the over under on the first assault at the first pow day where some single claims Covid fear and tries to ride a quad chair by themselves. No way that flies in Jackson [QUOTE]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200713_120728.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	1,006.0 KB 
ID:	334533
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200208_080250.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	800.4 KB 
ID:	334532  

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Ditto. I essential gave alterra an $800 interest-free loan.
    That is, if Alterra in it's present state even exists the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I'll tell ya, I skied at Beartooth Basin in June and my observation was that as soon as skiers get on the hill, social distancing kind of goes out the window. They had a requirement that everybody wear buffs, but it was warm, so literally NOBODY was wearing them. In liftlines people were standing closer than 6 feet because there really wasn't room for more distance. And everybody is in a festive, carefree, happy mood because they are skiing, so it's natural to not want to think about virus bullshit and just do what we've always done. Bottom line is I think it's going to be really tough to enforce social distancing in that environment. At the same time, the environment itself is not a particularly risky one, being outdoors on a mountain. But I'm not riding a chairlift with any strangers, that much I can tell you.
    This is how people get sick and die.
    I don't quite get people who don't get that the virus is relentless. I understand that people don't care about themselves, but I don't get that they sometimes don't give a shit about what's going on around them. "Hey, let's have a covid party in the lift lines." Yes, I am a stupid mother fucker."
    It's really not that hard to stay 6-8' apart, unless you insist on either stepping on the skis on front of you, or you need to squeeze your skis in between the pair of skis infant of you.
    And regarding not flying at Jackson: It is very easy for a liftie or patrol to take the pass of anyone not complying.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That is, if Alterra in it's present state even exists the next season.
    I don’t really know about KSL, but the Crown’s have deeeep pockets.
    Aspen will open, if the government allows.

I’m optimistic, I’m on a lift right now and feel perfectly safe.

I'm spending excessively: multiple mega passes, exclusive hotel reservations, snowcat tours in all continents, etc. because all currency will be toilet paper (yeah, scrape yer ass with your CC) when civilization craters by the end of the year. Oh, I've also paid in full for the best mausoleum space in Rome - still working on how to get my rotting corpse over there as things fall apart though.

edit: great news! hooked up with Elon, he's got a self-driving private jet all l lined up for me!
    Bring on the AI/robots!

On a more serious note: destination resorts have the biggest challenge; pretty sure I'll get at least a few day trips in by Xmas. Very curious to see how they manage lift ops.
    Last edited by PB; 07-13-2020 at 02:07 PM.

I don't think it's the actual ski experience we have to fear, except trams and gondolas, and maybe crowded liftlines. The BLM protests have pretty much proved that outdoor gatherings are pretty safe, if people are careful and respectful of each other. (Just ban the dirt bag snowboarders, heh) It's all the other stuff that will close most "resorts", the indoor bars and dining and lodging and even parking. It's winter, after all. And, then you have to consider the domino effect. If you're the one of few hills open, even if you're that small local hill that you think can deal with this, then the demand of a million skiers starved for the experience will descend upon you. It won't be easy to handle. And non skiers in the community will easily shut things down, because they don't give a fuck, and have bigger concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I don’t really know about KSL, but the Crown’s have deeeep pockets.
    Aspen will open, if the government allows.

I’m optimistic, I’m on a lift right now and feel perfectly safe.
    I think skiing could happen, but how will town operate with everything being inside?

Pretty much what Benny said above.

Also, while I know the lift is about as low risk as it gets, there is a difference between feeling safe and actually being safe. I think a lot of spread occurs in situations where people feel safe, but aren't. You know, like in backcountry skiing.

Name:	IMG_6853.jpg 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	334539

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I don't quite get people who don't get that the virus is relentless. I understand that people don't care about themselves, but I don't get that they sometimes don't give a shit about what's going on around them. "Hey, let's have a covid party in the lift lines." Yes, I am a stupid mother fucker."
    Some people are disregarding social distance and mask wearing because they're assholes, but I also know where yeahman is coming from. When you get outside and start recreating it's easy to forget about the virus for a while and you revert to "normal" behavior. I think it's just human nature. You really have to be constantly vigilant.

Full steam ahead...just don't know whether it will be hiking for turns, sledding for turns or riding lifts.
    I suspect more than a few fools in the backcountry this coming season....sadly probably more accidents. Be safe out there man...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I don't think it's the actual ski experience we have to fear, except trams and gondolas, and maybe crowded liftlines. The BLM protests have pretty much proved that outdoor gatherings are pretty safe, if people are careful and respectful of each other. (Just ban the dirt bag snowboarders, heh) It's all the other stuff that will close most "resorts", the indoor bars and dining and lodging and even parking. It's winter, after all. And, then you have to consider the domino effect. If you're the one of few hills open, even if you're that small local hill that you think can deal with this, then the demand of a million skiers starved for the experience will descend upon you. It won't be easy to handle. And non skiers in the community will easily shut things down, because they don't give a fuck, and have bigger concerns.
    decent point. Places like Snowbird/Alta, if you stay there, you are VERY limited in your dining options. Might not be able to get down the road for other options, outside dining not really an option. Will be interesting to see.

I have until October to buy a pass and I'll wait that long as the price doesn't go up until then. I hope BS opens or else BB will be even more of a shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post

Name:	IMG_6853.jpg 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	334539
    This^^^^

Make tailgating great again!

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I put the over under on the first assault at the first pow day where some single claims Covid fear and tries to ride a quad chair by themselves. No way that flies in Jackson.
    When I taught at Squaw there would be people who would try to buy private lessons in hopes that they could cut the line on KT on a pow day at the beginning, getting passed people who had been there since 4 am. The folks in the office had to tell people who were buying lessons for those days that there would be no cutting of KT/Headwall/silvy/sibo lines. If someone had tried there would definitely have been blows. When you have a bunch of people who live for powder and are not getting laid very much....Yeah, don't cut that line.

As for the season....I think there is going to be something, I just don't think it will be normal at all. I think there will be limited operations, limited ticket sales, and who knows what else. Social distancing will be practiced inside. I could see limited openings, sort of the way Mammoth is in May when only Main Lodge is open. I think things will happen, it just won't be what we are used to. I think lots of casual Mammoth skiers, those who go one weekend a year or maybe one 5 day trip a year at most, simply won't bother this season.

We have had the same condo for our ski lease for the last three years, and we have a great relationship with our landlord. He usually is able to find people to rent it in the summer, then rents it to us in the winter. This year has been different, he has someone there until mid-september, but we are going to talk then. He said, and I certainly understand his position, that if we are not comfortable signing a lease at that point he would want to find someone who will definitely sign, and I don't blame him. We usually rent the place November through May, but our group does not want to sign and risk not having a season. If he does rent it in mid-september and things open up completely we will have to find another rental. That sucks, it's major nuisance finding places in Mammoth due to airbnb, but if that's the case then that means that the world is getting back to normal, which is obviously good. If he rents it to someone else and the mountain is partially open, which in my mind is the most likely scenario, we would probably have an easier time finding places. A partial opening would mean that lots of the places that have been doing nightly/weekly airbnb/vrbo type stuff would probably be very happy to have 7 months of guaranteed income, so I don't think it would be too hard to find a place. Obviously we want to avoid signing a lease and having the ski season be canceled, that would really suck. Our landlord actually gave us one month off of rent this spring, which was incredibly cool. We told him he did not have to do that, but he insisted. He really likes the fact that our group uses the place primarily on weekends, so little wear and tear.

I would be surprised if there is no season at all. I just think it is going to be different than what we are used to, which goes without saying. I'm not going to vote in the poll because I don't see an option which reflects what I view as the most likely scenario.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Regarding lift service, the thing that I am most interested in seeing is how places like JH, Snowbird and Squaw handle their tram. It's fairly easy to stick 4 in an eight person gondi; it's quite another thing to ride a tram with 30 instead of 75 people (at least for me). Many people will miss the farts and beer smell of the tram ride.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I think reservations like golf courses (and many many other things), no F&B (or limited grab and go...that will not effect me), ski schools could be interesting (group lessons? kids? etc). I try to stay optimistic about ski season...but it will not be normal

If there’s a reservation system to limit skier/rider numbers, it’s got to be figured out in a way that it’s fair. Like not allowing the same person to visit back to back days or limit to twice a week or something.

If you score a powder day, it will likely be great again, but who knows how hard it will be to win the luck of the draw when people reserve for that one day per forecasts.

Based on how CV spread in European ski areas before shutdown, I’m not sure how F&B will work, unless it’s outside in the cold. So one silver lining is many non-hardcore skiers/riders may not bother, leaving the numbers lower to begin with.

It's really not that hard to stay 6-8' apart, unless you insist on either stepping on the skis on front of you, or you need to squeeze your skis in between the pair of skis infant of you.
    And regarding not flying at Jackson: It is very easy for a liftie or patrol to take the pass of anyone not complying.
    This weekend amazed me.

My wife and I got a cheap rate at the San Diego Hard Rock and we decided to head down to hit the pool on Saturday and then go to Nobu. We wanted a fun getaway, like lots of people right now. We ate lunch at the pool at the dining area, and had a few drinks, but I was absolutely blown away by the pool. In the dining area, which is outside, most people had masks on, taking them off to drink and eat, and most people were in there own little groups, so social distancing was being, somewhat, practiced. But where the actual pool was, where the day beds and cabanas were, it was a shit-show. People were interacting with different groups, no one masked up, not even remotely trying to stay 6 feet away. I was stunned. We stayed at our table and enjoyed the afternoon, masked up and away from people, but I was just amazed that all these idiots were taking advantage of the fact that masks were not required outdoors to avoid wearing them. Masks actually ARE required inside the Hard Rock, but they need to start enforcing that at the pool. I get it, a Hard Rock pool party is not a place where you want to wear a mask and social distance, but these idiots just blew me away. Walking around the Gaslamp that night, not much really open, people were able to distance, but most were still not wearing masks.

I had a friend in boarding school who was a pretty bad student his first couple of years. To be frank, if he had not been descended from Wall Street royalty, and if his uncle had not been on the board of trustees, he never would have gotten in. Most of us were studying both hours of study hall and more later, as well as during free periods during the day. He was goofing off and studying, maybe an hour a day. During the second half of his Sophomore year he started to study more, and his Junior year he was actually an average student. His senior year fall term he had bad midterms, he stopped studying the way he had been, reverted to his old ways. The second half of his senior fall he pulled it together and did reasonably well.

The point is that the reason his grades changed was because he started to study. When he stopped studying his grades dropped back to the way they were before, it was as if he didn't understand that the reason things got better was because his habits changed. Covid numbers improved BECAUSE of masks, social distancing and staying at home. When people stopped being careful all of that changed.

I don't drink and drive. Even it doing so was legal, I still would not. I have worn a helmet skiing for around 20 years, since my early 20's. I wear a seat belt, and I would do so even if I could be guaranteed that I would not get a ticket. I think requiring masks and social distancing might be the only way to do all of this. I really don't want things to shut down again, but if people don't use their brains that might just be necessary.

I had a friend from home whose parents left him home one weekend during the summer when he was 16. He had a party and got caught. Later that summer his parents went on another trip. He did the same thing, and the same thing happened. The next summer his parents made him stay with cousins when they went on trips. He argued that he should not be treated like a child, and that he should have his freedoms. They argued that he had been given a chance to be an adult and that he had failed, so he would not be given those freedoms any longer.

This is NOT a binary variable with the choices being "under lockdown" or "act like nothing is going on." If we want things NOT to be locked down he have to make proper choices.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I'm still keeping the faith. Bought my $350 local ski area pass. I know they'll make an honest effort to open if the Governor lets them.
    It's the only pass I have bought so far. Not even sure what pass to get for 'family' ski days. Unfortunately my wife hates the Basin.....too cold, too windy, too steep, slow lifts....lol. She might just have to suck it up this winter tho!

I feel like the poll should also have a "Kicked COVID's ass, bring on ski season!" option. I could vote for that one.
    Old's Cool.

Re: Jackson...

All chairs at the village are Quads, except Marmot. My money's gonna be on a 2 per chair on the outside for quads, singles only for Marmot.
    Bridger gondy may be on a 4 per cabin approach and with your own party ideally. Don't even get in line until your ready.
    I think the tram will be for patrol only and they'll sell the shit outta a few places on the box for big bux. Big snow days will cost $500 for skiing the bowl with low tracks. People would pay.

I'm hoping it may be a slower season of visitors, for the locals, which would be nice; We've been on the 'busier each year' model for about 5 now and a breather would be good.

People at the hill today were mostly bagged and distancing well. Not all though.

I bought the full pass w/ikon. I can get a refund less $45 by late Oct.

I'm jonesing for turns dammit. Last winter was a rebound season from ACL surg in the spring. Couldn't ski too hard and then cut short from a thumping in mid-Feb. and then the viral shutdown soon thereafter.

If the village opens, the Quick and the Dead shenanigans will go down.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm buying a pass, but I also had two weeks worth of hut trips in BC booked for the upcoming winter.

One week is still on, if I can get into Canada, and I got bumped from my second trip because the operation decided that even if the border re-opens, they won't be hosting any American guests during the 20-21 season. Personally, I'm preparing to not go on either trip, since I think it's a pipe dream to expect the border to re-open for nonessential travel until there is an effective and widely available vaccine.

Hoping the lifts spin, but who the fuck knows.
    Which huts?

I'm in a group with a week booked at Ice Creek with a rollover to 21/22 if necessary.

Wife and I renewed Crystal passes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I suspect more than a few fools in the backcountry this coming season....sadly probably more accidents. Be safe out there man...
    That's a very astute observation, If the resorts fail to open, the SAR's will be busy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Re: Jackson...

I think the tram will be for patrol only and they'll sell the shit outta a few places on the box for big bux. Big snow days will cost $500 for skiing the bowl with low tracks. People would pay.
    This would suck. Worse for Jackson than Snowbird, where Little Cloud and the Tram service the same goods with minimal effort.

I would trade the Tram for a season if it meant a noticeable decrease in skiers. Maybe R bowl should be hike to only for one winter. That'd tie up a good lot for an hour or two.

If it's a no tram season, lemme tell ya, being first up high will pay off in gold nuggets. Especially if there's no ski schoolers in front of public. They're gonna have to reel that shit in too.
    If all schoolers/clients get uphill before paying public at Bridger Ganjala, There'll be much ill will. People wait in line for an hour or two, then 1000 people walk right past them. The shit talking from the locals begins at about #250.

And JHMR just shitcanned about 30-40 employees who had long experience there. One guy, a mechanic on whatever, after over 30 yrs. got cut loose. Now J1 visas are gonna be restricted by the clown in charge so employees will be harder than ever to come by out there.
    That group of speed wranglers, invented and implemented about 5-6 years ago, needs to go. The inevitable budget cuts should start there and extend through mgmnt.

JHMR is one big house flip for the Kemmerers. Still not certain whether to wish for a sale or be leary of the next owner. It'll happen sooner than later methinks.