Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Silverton?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Train, workout. PotAtoe, potahtoe.
    Well I sure hope when you are in line ordering a grande half calf triple shot non fat sugar free vanilla latte with extra foam and the cute barista girl asks what you've been up to and you answer loudly so everyone within shouting distance can hear you, you DO NOT answer with "working out" and do answer by describing your strict and rigorous training regiment for your big winter plans and scheduled events. Have you not been to Colorado? Bro? There is a huge difference in gaining ski town cred and gnar points.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    The red ones, duh.
    Only if they match their rental jackets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Buster, I had no idea it was a mostly guided service ski area.
    parking must be pretty convenient, are the lots paved?
    Yep.
    It's a 6 mile dirt road from town and with less than 100 cars per day, parking is convenient, albeit unpaved.
    You'd love it, lot4 stylie C'mon down sometime. It's a blast.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Well I sure hope when you are in line ordering a grande half calf triple shot non fat sugar free vanilla latte with extra foam and the cute barista girl asks what you've been up to and you answer loudly so everyone within shouting distance can hear you, you DO NOT answer with "working out" and do answer by describing your strict and rigorous training regiment for your big winter plans and scheduled events. Have you not been to Colorado? Bro? There is a huge difference in gaining ski town cred and gnar points.
    That's sounds like a workout in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    So kinda like private school.
    All the skiing is within the "ski area." But the ski area is unique for the US. It is a single lift ski area with no cut piste, buddy/avy gear required, basically zero amenities, and ropes between some zones/at the top of lines. Some zones are heli or hike only. They open up zones/runs based on safety.

If there is unguided skiing on a given day, usually a little less terrain is open for the unguided than if you have a guide, both for safety and reasonable product value reasons. If it is a guided only day, then it is literally guided groups only.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    So you're not a real skier because you don't lock down your destination to ski powder? It just sort of happens? Or can you time travel so you don't have to be bothered by schedules?
    Say you've requested your 2 weeks off from your corporate masters or dental practice or whatever for the end of January... how do you maximize that?

1. Book your flight and hotel and ski area weeks/months ahead, hope conditions are good.
    2. Book your flight to an area (Switzerland, Colorado, Alaska, whatever) then when you get there go to where the payoff is best, even chase the conditions. Maybe you were able to get cheap/free to change/cancel airfare... sometimes cancel and you drive somewhere closer to home because the snow is better... or drive to a bordering state because they are getting nuked. Sometimes you book airfare on a last minute deal.

IME #1 works #2 works better more often
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Couple locals I met last April were not happy about the Silverton looking to move its Helicopter permit. I think it is still in process. Prime touring zones will be co opted is my understanding.

https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-...rojectId=48993

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Couple locals I met last April were not happy about the Silverton looking to move its Helicopter permit. I think it is still in process. Prime touring zones will be co opted is my understanding.

https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-...rojectId=48993
    I'm not sure about all of them being prime touring zones. Some of the requested area I read about is up above some crazy access routes that very few, if any people use in winter.

Yes, $120++ is the price of lift tickets for nonlocals at a lot of CO resorts like Aspen, Vail, T-ride, etc, and if one is going to pay that much Silverton is a good deal.
    Is that more clear for you?

You can go and compare non guided, but that's not what I wrote.
    Try ++++, I think vail resorts day ticket was up around $185 or so last season. $120 for a day of "guided" skiing isn't too bad for a person traveling to ski. So I think I agree with your point completely

I did not get out in the BC there and only heard it from a couple folks. Maybe someone who knows might fill us in, or I could try to find the locl group on the net

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

Say you've requested your 2 weeks off from your corporate masters or dental practice or whatever for the end of January... how do you maximize that?
    I have more like 2 months, but go ahead with your attempts to unravel yourself from your "real skiers" remarks.

1. Book your flight and hotel and ski area weeks/months ahead, hope conditions are good.
    2. Book your flight to an area (Switzerland, Colorado, Alaska, whatever) then when you get there go to where the payoff is best, even chase the conditions. Maybe you were able to get cheap/free to change/cancel airfare... sometimes cancel and you drive somewhere closer to home because the snow is better... or drive to a bordering state because they are getting nuked.
    3) Sometimes you book airfare on a last minute deal.

IME #1&2 works #3 works better more often
    Fixed it for you since 1&2 don't make much difference in terms of scheduling.

But to cheesily assert that "real skiers" only do #3 is just a crock of elitist bullshit.

So is misrepresenting and disrespecting what goes on at Silverton. That's why I called you a dick.

You can get offended and call me a doosh because I'm calling out your bullshit.

I'm fine with that because I called you a dick for misrepresenting the situation and disrespecting some people that have done a great thing. I wish it were different too, but damn if I'm going to let it be disrespected and distorted by "real skiers". What a load of horseshit.

Silverton sounds overrated for sure. I thought they do 300$ help runs and have amenities like sushi and hot tubs
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by rmnpsplitter View Post
    Try ++++, I think vail resorts day ticket was up around $185 or so last season. $120 for a day of "guided" skiing isn't too bad for a person traveling to ski. So I think I agree with your point completely
    OK.

Silverton isn't perfect, but it's really different and fuckitall, the Brills should not be subject to that kind of Summit twisted propaganda that you only ski 3 or 4 runs on low angle pow with gapers. It's just like the rest of life: it is what you make it.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-28-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I did not get out in the BC there and only heard it from a couple folks. Maybe someone who knows might fill us in, or I could try to find the locl group on the net
    I participated in the review and asked around town, soliciting some of the people that don't want to ski guided. They said that one zone in particular is not used much because the access is avie prone.

Silverton is a funny place, and it's a small town with a great diversity of people that have wildly different views.

Real skiers don't work out, they train, all summer and fall.
    With a harness on. What use is training if its not for Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    With a harness on. What use is training if its not for Alaska?
    Precisely
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I participated in the review and asked around town, soliciting some of the people that don't want to ski guided. They said that one zone in particular is not used much because the access is avie prone.

Silverton is a funny place, and it's a small town with a great diversity of people that have wildly different views.
    I have only been there once. I arrived around 1 PM went up to silverton could not heli ski. I than drove around up towards Galena mountain than up to Red Mountain Pass. I looked things over and decided the best goods looked like up past Galena Peak. The next day I skied in what might be Maggies area. Could not see tracks on the line on the way in but once to the base of the line there was an uptrail in. I really do not know how anyone can say that zone is not used much. Not my issue I do not live there. But my experience is the heli's just want more and more screw the tourer.
    off your knees Louie

Fixed it for you since 1&2 don't make much difference in terms of scheduling.
    That is my point. You are making this about scheduling. I'm not. #2 wins almost everytime over #1 unless you have a weather crystal ball.

So is misrepresenting and disrespecting what goes on at Silverton.
    Hardly! Laughable overreaction... But I am deeply amused by you flying off your shit about this... why are you so emotional?

I wish it were different too, but damn if I'm going to let it be disrespected and distorted by "real skiers". What a load of horseshit.
    Everyone knows you are rah-rah Silverton. That's fine... I've been a big supporter of Silverton over the years. Bet I've given them more positive publicity in my threads and community over the years than you have in all of your threads

Now wipes those tears... you are sounding as riled up as Bunny, old man.

OK.

Silverton isn't perfect, but it's really different and fuckitall, the Brills should not be subject to that kind of Summit twisted propaganda that you only ski 3 or 4 runs on low angle pow with gapers. It's just like the rest of life: it is what you make it.
    Yeah I'm with ya, for someone looking for a unique experience that seems like a good price to me. I've never been there to ride, but I completely agree with you. In fact, I'd wager most legit pow days at a vail resort would fall into the category of 3 to 4 runs on low angle pow with gapers. Then it's just low angle chopped up pow with gapers for the rest of that day and then it's groomed. That's my recent experience at a vail resort. I still enjoy skiing at those places, sliding around on snow is great no matter what. So yeah I completely agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I have only been there once. I arrived around 1 PM went up to silverton could not heli ski. I than drove around up towards Galena mountain than up to Red Mountain Pass. I looked things over and decided the best goods looked like up past Galena Peak. The next day I skied in what might be Maggies area. Could not see tracks on the line on the way in but once to the base of the line there was an uptrail in. I really do not know how anyone can say that zone is not used much. Not my issue I do not live there. But my experience is the heli's just want more and more screw the tourer.
    I think SMG wants the area S of Maggie Gulch, but up higher, above Cunningham. At least that was the subject of discussion: Cunningham is pretty dicey access for touring.

All I want to get across is that guided skiing at Silverton, heli or no, is still fun and worth the $, particularly in light of what the big CO resorts charge.

They're not looking to fly up around RMP.

Summit twisted propaganda that you only ski 3 or 4 runs on low angle pow with gapers.
    Never said that. I said 3-4 runs of mid angle pow. Which is what I got when I went during guided-only with the "fast skier fast hiker" group showing up solo: "ski left of my line to preserve the powder for the next group."

And it is what YOU get to many days if you average 5 runs like you said, that means there are plenty of days less than 5! But maybe I just had bad luck?

I had an easy solution: skiing unguided and LOVING it and doing it several days a year!

Given your reaction, it's like I pissed on your grandma or something? If you love the Silverton guided, keep doing it. You are the target market. You identified yourself as the perfect Silverton repeat guided customer: the rich tourist. I'll probably go again when the timing is perfect to drive the 5 hours to get there, but that timing is going to be hard to find for me given other options. In the meantime, I hope to continue to be amused by your wailing and gnashing of teeth because someone has different standards and opportunities.

Well this whole thing went off the rails quickly....

The real skiers debate is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is that Silverton originally formed to provide a ski-centered experience to expert skiers. No real estate, no glitz, no glam, no bullshit. Just skiing. It doesn't fucking matter if you're a "real skier" or not; in fact, that was exactly the point of Silverton's original mission. It wasn't about your social status (and let's face it, whether or not you're a "real skier" or a "ski bum" is a form of social status). It was about skiing. Full stop.

In the past, with a greater variety of guided and unguided skiing available, there were opportunities for many to enjoy the mountain. Expert skiers that had limited financial resources and/or just didn't enjoy the experience of being put in a group with a guide that tells you where to ski and when could buy an unguided ticket on several weekends per year, and rage to their hearts content. Expert skiers that have greater financial resources that preferred to ski the best and softest snow available would find value in paying a knowledgeable person to show them the best snow available on the mountain that day.

Neither group is wrong. Neither is right. Neither is better than the other, when you're evaluating this from the perspective of "what was the original mission?" The original mission wasn't "hey, let's create a guided experience that will lead reasonably wealthy clients to good snow on steep terrain." It was, "let's make this a haven for good skiers to ski steep soft snow." The current slow elimination of unguided days is enabling the former, not the latter.

As I've said, I don't blame them. From a business standpoint it makes sense. 100%. But don't try to tell me Silverton is all about the skiing anymore, like it was originally intended to be, because it ain't.

As for the price: Silverton guided at $120 may very well be a good value, depending on what you're looking for. If you're looking for good terrain, good snow, and a guide, and you can only ski a couple weekends a year and are paying window rates, then sure it's a good value. If you're looking for good to great terrain, more flexibility to chase good snow, more flexibility to ski how and where you want without a guide, then areas like Crested Butte (where 2-for-1 tickets and free days on season passes are readily available), or Mtn Collective areas like Telluride, Aspen, Jackson, Taos, or AltaBird can offer more value. And if simply skiing untracked snow if your goal, then backcountry skiing may be even more rewarding.

That is my point. You are making this about scheduling. I'm not. #2 wins almost everytime over #1 unless you have a weather crystal ball.
    This is crazy. You brought it up as well as the 'real skier' bullshit. None of it makes any sense except as your obvious elitist dreck. Go back and read what you wrote. Do you have any sense of self?

Hardly! Laughable overreaction... But I am deeply amused by you flying off your shit about this... why are you so emotional?
    Everyone can go back and read what you wrote and it's bullshit flying from your handle. You don't have the experience to say what happens when one rolls solo during guided season.

Everyone knows you are rah-rah Silverton. That's fine... I've been a big supporter of Silverton over the years. Bet I've given them more positive publicity in my threads and community over the years than you have in all of your threads
    You're misconstruing the situation here regarding Silverton. This isn't about me, I'm not important and most people reading this drivel won't have any idea. I'd rather not have them walk away with bad info on Silverton.
    Now wipes those tears... you are sounding as riled up as Bunny, old man.
    No tears, but I am old now. You might be someday too.

I just think it's shitty when some ski queen comes in blabbing about 'real skiers' and disrespecting some good people and a great experience.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_121840.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	188928
    I was here had a good view of this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_121853.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	697.3 KB 
ID:	188929
    maybe some locals know where i was but it sure looks like somewhere in that proposed area to me.
    I will not debate the issue if you can have a good time guided skiing at Silverton. I believe the OP was objecting the discontinue of the unguided which I attribute to be motivated by profit. It is their business they can operate as they choose.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Well this whole thing went off the rails quickly....

The real skiers debate is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is that Silverton originally formed to provide a ski-centered experience to expert skiers. No real estate, no glitz, no glam, no bullshit. Just skiing. It doesn't fucking matter if you're a "real skier" or not; in fact, that was exactly the point of Silverton's original mission. It wasn't about your social status (and let's face it, whether or not you're a "real skier" or a "ski bum" is a form of social status). It was about skiing. Full stop.

In the past, with a greater variety of guided and unguided skiing available, there were opportunities for many to enjoy the mountain. Expert skiers that had limited financial resources and/or just didn't enjoy the experience of being put in a group with a guide that tells you where to ski and when could buy an unguided ticket on several weekends per year, and rage to their hearts content. Expert skiers that have greater financial resources that preferred to ski the best and softest snow available would find value in paying a knowledgeable person to show them the best snow available on the mountain that day.

Neither group is wrong. Neither is right. Neither is better than the other, when you're evaluating this from the perspective of "what was the original mission?" The original mission wasn't "hey, let's create a guided experience that will lead reasonably wealthy clients to good snow on steep terrain." It was, "let's make this a haven for good skiers to ski steep soft snow." The current slow elimination of unguided days is enabling the former, not the latter.

As I've said, I don't blame them. From a business standpoint it makes sense. 100%. But don't try to tell me Silverton is all about the skiing anymore, like it was originally intended to be, because it ain't.

As for the price: Silverton guided at $120 may very well be a good value, depending on what you're looking for. If you're looking for good terrain, good snow, and a guide, and you can only ski a couple weekends a year and are paying window rates, then sure it's a good value. If you're looking for good to great terrain, more flexibility to chase good snow, more flexibility to ski how and where you want without a guide, then areas like Crested Butte (where 2-for-1 tickets and free days on season passes are readily available), or Mtn Collective areas like Telluride, Aspen, Jackson, Taos, or AltaBird can offer more value. And if simply skiing untracked snow if your goal, then backcountry skiing may be even more rewarding.
    This is on the money

Never said that. I said 3-4 runs of mid angle pow. Which is what I got when I went during guided-only with the "fast skier fast hiker" group showing up solo: "ski left of my line to preserve the powder for the next group."
    You went one day and make that generalization?

And it is what YOU get to many days if you average 5 runs like you said, that means there are plenty of days less than 5! But maybe I just had bad luck?
    Maybe.
    I had an easy solution: skiing unguided and LOVING it and doing it several days a year!

Given your reaction, it's like I pissed on your grandma or something? If you love the Silverton guided, keep doing it. You are the target market. You identified yourself as the perfect Silverton repeat guided customer: the rich tourist. I'll probably go again when the timing is perfect to drive the 5 hours to get there, but that timing is going to be hard to find for me given other options. In the meantime, I hope to continue to be amused by your wailing and gnashing of teeth because someone has different standards and opportunities.
    Again, you're representing one experience as the norm. It's not. That's all. Plus your real skier bullshit.