Page 1646 of 1842 FirstFirst ... 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 ... LastLast
Results 41,126 to 41,150 of 46049
    There's certainly something to be said for having a stable email address, especially for things like password retrieval from accounts you've forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    LOL, my wife went to Dartmouth. She won’t actually tell someone she went there unless they ask specifically. When she is asked “Where did you go to school?”
    She often answers “A small school in New Hampshire”
    Sometimes they then ask “UNH?”
    And she replies, “no, the other one.”
    Literally the first time I’ve heard of someone not using their dartmouth.edu address in perpetuity and also mentioning Dartmouth twice in every conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Dated someone back when I lived in San Diego who had a Harvard degree, Anthropology or History maybe. Hilarious to hear from my circle of friends how she’d work it into conversations. Half my group of friends were in the indie rock / art ‘career’ path, gave zero fucks about her Harvard degree, other half were biotech etc and all had PhD’s, gave zero fucks about someone’s undergrad degree. All this deflated her, which was amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Dated someone back when I lived in San Diego who had a Harvard degree, Anthropology or History maybe. Hilarious to hear from my circle of friends how she’d work it into conversations. Half my group of friends were in the indie rock / art ‘career’ path, gave zero fucks about her Harvard degree, other half were biotech etc and all had PhD’s, gave zero fucks about someone’s undergrad degree. All this deflated her, which was amusing.
    My wife's M.Ed is from Harvard. Her PhD is from Tufts. It is rare (like, really rare) that the schools she went to come up in social conversations, but if they do people rarely ask or care about the masters once they realize she has a PhD. It's all about perspective I guess...

She uses Gmail for personal email fwiw. She does have a Harvard address, but it's her work account as the hospital she works at is affiliated with the medical school.

The dumbest postdoc I had the misfortune of working with did his undergrad at Harvard. It went downhill from there, PhD from some shithole in the midwest and postdoc at the U of U which will never be regarded as a prestigious institution in my field.
    He was VERY keen on mentioned Harvard but never bothered clarifying that he only did his undergrad there and not grad/post grad education. He still used his Harvard email instead of his UofU email and had everything forwarded to and from the more prestigious box. The whole thing was really weird since everyone around him knew full well that going from Harvard to the U isn't a sign of brilliance, just evidence that mom and dad's money could buy his entrance into undergrad but once the real selection process began shit began to unravel.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    If Christians want to help the oppressed based on the alleged teachings of some Jew 2000+ years ago, more power to them. We'll see if Hobby Lobby is serious or just Jesus-washing. There was a time when when liberation theology was a significant faction of the Catholic church in Latin America (see the assassination of Archbishop Romero). There were the antiwar activities of the Berrigan brothers. And in Sacramento the Jesuit brothers were sending kids off to get arrested protesting the School of the Americas--the US torture school for Latin American despots. Which is funny--although the parents didn't think so--because Jesuit is the number one jock school in Sacramento. Seems like that strain of progressive religion is out of favor for the most part. (My son's MIL is a very progressive minister in Truckee--with a tiny congregation). Now religions just want to tell everyone else how to live.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    My wife's M.Ed is from Harvard. Her PhD is from Tufts. It is rare (like, really rare) that the schools she went to come up in social conversations, but if they do people rarely ask or care about the masters once they realize she has a PhD. It's all about perspective I guess...

She uses Gmail for personal email fwiw. She does have a Harvard address, but it's her work account as the hospital she works at is affiliated with the medical school.
    My kid has a MPH from Harvard--like every other unsuccessful med school applicant waiting to apply again. Although in his case he got it in the middle of his residency for reasons that escape me, but at least it was free. My wife likes to tell people he's in a Harvard residency--whch is true, although it's the 3rd tier of Harvard's residencies, not MGH (#1,) or Brigham and Women's (#2).

Yeah. I don’t think it’s Jesus that most people have a problem with. He seemed pretty chill, actually. It’s all the people running the churches that are the assholes

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    There's certainly something to be said for having a stable email address, especially for things like password retrieval from accounts you've forgotten about.
    Just get your own domain, and you have a personal email for as long as you want it. Easy, and cheap.

Edit: You also get infinite email addresses, which is very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Literally the first time I’ve heard of someone not using their dartmouth.edu address in perpetuity and also mentioning Dartmouth twice in every conversation.

My wife is LOT smarter than most of those clowns, especially in matters other than education.
    (Humble-brag?)

She has her masters in an entirely different discipline at another prestigious University, but we aren’t talking about that.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Just get your own domain, and you have a personal email for as long as you want it. Easy, and cheap.

Edit: You also get infinite email addresses, which is very handy.
    Is the cost one time or do you need to keep paying to keep the domain? I know my wife pays Blue Host for web hosting and it seems like a big money sink to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Is the cost one time or do you need to keep paying to keep the domain? I know my wife pays Blue Host for web hosting and it seems like a big money sink to me.
    Gotta pay in perpetuity; but it’s cheap, if all you need is the domain registry, not hosting.

And let’s face it, we have lots of other things we pay monthly for too; it’s just one more. And you can pay in three year increments, so it’s pretty painless.

I have a harvard.edu addy and one from a small college in western mass. Never occurred to me to use them. I should log on and find out how much spam is on them.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Yeah. I don’t think it’s Jesus that most people have a problem with. He seemed pretty chill, actually. It’s all the people running the churches that are the assholes
    Like the bumper stickers "Dear God, please protect me from your followers..."

A huge contingent of the Christian religious right should be walking around with bloody stumps at the neck, because their heads exploded.

They had kittens that Clinton had an affair, and made "family values" and all the other stink around "values matter" etc. But then when naked power shows up and offers them SC justices in exchange for their souls, they couldn't toss down fast enough.

If you believe in karma, justice, or God's judgement, well, I'd hate to be those folks when the balance comes due.
    Last edited by gregorys; 02-09-2023 at 10:46 PM.

Shit fucking gotdamnit motherfucking cunt ass shit fucker no good sonofabitch assface monkey shit crap dumbfuck fucking fuck fuck.

Fuck.

What a way to start a Friday.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Shit fucking gotdamnit motherfucking cunt ass shit fucker no good sonofabitch assface monkey shit crap dumbfuck fucking fuck fuck.

Fuck.

Do go on.
    focus.

Fuck.

Sounds like Monday and Friday we're fucking and forgot which one was pitching and which one was catching.

Fuck.

Another dishwasher loading complaint?

Must be a client dropping some real bullshit on a Friday morning. That happens way too often.

“It’s Super Bowl weekend Carl! You dick”

I try not to be a realist, I try to be an optimist… But I know, deep down in my heart, that Fridays really are the new Saturdays…Fridays used to be rad.

Wouldn’t that raise Thursdays up in Radness?
    (That’s me being an optimist!)

Getting old is annoying…

Rope drop for Devil’s Castle yesterday. Was about 80th in line outside the gate at Sugarloaf. Had already committed to going all the way to the wall. Was through the initial crux and about 1/2 way on this long right foot climb and already down to only 10 or so in front of me. The plan was playing out as expected. Started the final heavier sidestep up the last pitch when - slap! Felt something in my right calf. F@&k! Had to stop and assess. Something had definitely just ripped. Stood aside and only 1 more went past over the next few minutes. Gathered myself and knew I couldn’t continue. My R leg was useless and I’m in the middle of DC traverse looking at a bunch of untracked. I skied out but now how I imagined (on one leg). How do you pull a muscle on the traverse on day 37 on snow….

Getting old sucks.

Fuck.

Somebody sniped a mint 1995 XE Assfinder with transformer wheels out from under you for $3K?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Fuck.

RAGE CALL GENERATOR IS BACK!!!

Woot

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Wouldn’t that raise Thursdays up in Radness?
    (That’s me being an optimist!)

Absolutely yes. I am now relegated to celebrating life on Tues, Weds, Thurs.

Yeah, FUCK Monday, right in its sorry ass.