K2 Mindbender 90ti anyone?

Anybody else tried this ski yet? I tried the 106 and 99 and thought they were great skis. This year I decided I wanted a skinny early/ice ski and ordered the 90ti. Thanks to fucking Covid I ordered without demoing first (I know I'm a fucking idiot) and just got on them this week for the first time.

Fuuuuucccckkkkk these skis suck llama balls!. I am hoping it's just a fucked up tune out of the factory, but these are the squirreliest skis I have ever been on. Legitimately looser than the skis I filed the edges off of 15 years ago when I knew I was the world's next great gift to park skiing. I genuinely had to put these completely horizontal (or vertical?) to even start to get the edges to engage.

Anyone else on these? Are they salvageable with a good tune or should I give these to the first homeless guy I see in Summit County? I appreciate hearing what others think about these things. Thanks!
    Last edited by cspringsposer; 11-16-2020 at 02:05 PM.

The 90ti ride is similar to the 108ti, but more oriented towards firm conditions. So I would say there is something going on with the tune. That said, when on edge I found the tails will wash out if you hang on them when finishing a turn. It’s an all-mountain ski not a front side carver so if you’re expecting it to excel in true icy conditions it’s only going to be as good as you are in those conditions.

I demoed a set in firm conditions and had no problem setting an edge unlike on the old beater skis I was using the rest of the day. They were fun all arounders only giving up a bit of high speed stability for easier low speed turning. Get them tuned and if you still don't like them they will be easy to sell.

It really made no sense how they performed. I am fairly confident the bases are high and/or edge bevel is jacked up. I dropped them off for a base grind and edge work to see if that fixes things. If not, someone is going to get a cheap pair on nearly new skis.

I know someone looking for some mb 90s in Seattle 177 or 170 cm.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

They always seemed like the odd one out in the line to me. Personally the carving on the 99ti made me desire nothing skinnier. I agree with comparison to 108, its just the 108 has the size and mass to make it work, but the 90 is skinny, squirelly, and generally shit. 99ti is the best for ice imo. Would be nicer if there was something narrow that was good in moguls and had that carving of the 99 though.

I had a set and they were waaaaay edge high. A bunch of beer for the shop guys and they were much better. I opted to not detune at all.

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by brogoldenhair View Post
    They always seemed like the odd one out in the line to me. Personally the carving on the 99ti made me desire nothing skinnier. I agree with comparison to 108, its just the 108 has the size and mass to make it work, but the 90 is skinny, squirelly, and generally shit. 99ti is the best for ice imo. Would be nicer if there was something narrow that was good in moguls and had that carving of the 99 though.
    Lots of midwest/mideast skiers don't ski on anything wider than about 84 it seems, so this is probably for them. Not saying that's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

I know a handful of guys on the MB90, and they all love it. I'm not a K2 guy, so I can't offer up any review. Certainly an interesting ski though.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    I had a set and they were waaaaay edge high. A bunch of beer for the shop guys and they were much better. I opted to not detune at all.

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app
    These things are definitely fucked up. Im thinking base high and a shit edge bevel. These were really just to fuck around on early/late season so its not a huge deal that they are in the shop. My E100s are more than capable on pretty much anything you would want to ski on. In hindsight, the MB was probably a waste of money, but they were dirt cheap brand new and I already had bindings laying around.

If a tune fixes them, great, if not, keep an eye on GS for a cheap set of MBs.

Did you ever get back out on them?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by cspringsposer View Post
    These things are definitely fucked up. Im thinking base high and a shit edge bevel. These were really just to fuck around on early/late season so its not a huge deal that they are in the shop. My E100s are more than capable on pretty much anything you would want to ski on. In hindsight, the MB was probably a waste of money, but they were dirt cheap brand new and I already had bindings laying around.

If a tune fixes them, great, if not, keep an eye on GS for a cheap set of MBs.
    Did the tune fix them?

Im looking at the 90ti or 99ti to replace my clapped out Brahma.

Looking for more tip initiation and willing to give up some high speed stability for more forgiveness in the bumps.

Curious what people think of these with the right tune.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

K2 Mindbender 90ti anyone?

It’s a hitchkicker ski, does not like tip pressure
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Did you ever get back out on them?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Sorry about ghosting on this. I completely forgot about this thread. Ends up the edge bevel on one ski was all over the place (legit from 0-5) and they were both base high. I have talked to a number of other folks that had a similar tune problem on this specific ski, so I guess I am really not that special. After some significant grinding and putting a consistent 1/2.5 bevel, they ski as good as I think they will, which is pretty good.

That said, I definitely prefer the MB 99ti and don't think I will ski these a whole lot. The hard pack performance is only slightly better than the 99ti and the 99ti does everything else significantly better. They were basically a dirt cheap experiment (thank you Corbetts!) since I hadn't been on anything under 100mm in a couple decades and wanted to see if it would be better on my old ass knees. Don't get me wrong, they are capable 90mm skis, but I just don't have much of a need for the ski since the 99ti (and many other ~100mm skis) are so damn good these days.

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Did the tune fix them?

Im looking at the 90ti or 99ti to replace my clapped out Brahma.

Looking for more tip initiation and willing to give up some high speed stability for more forgiveness in the bumps.

Curious what people think of these with the right tune.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I would strongly recommend the 99ti unless you basically just ski on a glacier everyday, and if that is the case, there are much better skis for that than the MB90ti. For such a stable ski at speed, the 99ti pivots incredibly well in bumps and soft snow. I don't believe most of the marketing hype the ski companies put out, but K2 definitely figured something out with the Y titanium and carbon weave. I don't know what voodoo they used, but IMO it really works.

The 99ti is the first ski that pulled me away from the Enforcer line ( E100 and then E104) as my DD resort ski.