Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best video editing for Go Pro

Hey, just wondering what everyone uses. I use the Go Pro Studio but find it limiting.

What is everyone else using for PC editing that is either free or very inexpensive.

Thanks

There's a reason most people who make videos / films tend to use Mac. Final Cut Pro is just so superior to anything reasonably priced for a PC. But I would look into Adobe's offerings perhaps...

^^^Thanks, i know the mac thing, but i need a pc for my business operations. I use a CRM called ACT and Mac does not support it. And it does not work with Hemispheres splitting the hard driver either.

SO i am stuck with the PC option.

Lightworks has a free version.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

i use the gopro studio most of the time but sometimes have to use another program like quicktime for the studio shortfalls (-i.e gopro studio can't rotate videos 90 degrees etc)

my other half, andrew, does higher level edits so he uses adobe premier
    but obviously that one is not free

the new gopro plus app looks pretty cool and easy to use for edits (also has music options too so you don't get copyright shut down if you post on youtube etc)
    I think it's a monthly subscription though
    skid luxury

Hijack, but any good options <$100 for macs?

iMovie isn't bad considering it's free...

Lightbulb

GoPro Quik is good

Windows Live Movie Maker. Intuitive to use and free.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Hey, just wondering what everyone uses. I use the Go Pro Studio but find it limiting.

What is everyone else using for PC editing that is either free or very inexpensive.

Thanks
    OK, so, what do you find limiting? Are you looking for a NLE?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'm in the market for my first GoPro and wondering what I'll be using for editing.
    Looking at this from the "if it's not super easy and intuitive, I'll probably never use the camera".
    This nightmare of hundreds of hours of unused raw footage is the main reason I haven't squeezed the trigger yet.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I think i already posted what we use for desktop but i also have been using their app 'capture' a bunch.
    Makes it super easy to put mini edits together and you can connect to the camera with your iphone to chk out videos easily before you get home and load them on the computer
    Also not sure which camera you are getting but fwiw i didn't think I would use the voice activation feature of the new camera but have found myself using it a ton (i'm using the session 5)
    Guess im not sure if its worth the extra benjamin but I have been impressed with it
    skid luxury

Glad to hear your input on that. Been mostly thinking about the Session5 for largely that reason. Imagining using it while mountain biking and imagine voice activation would be super convenient. Especially for last second still pics.

I tend to use the voice controls more for changing modes - ie burst, picture, video mode
    The session is so easy to use I really prefer it over the fancier models just for the ease of it

couple things- the voice control works on the first try I would say about 65-70% of the time. If there's a tons of other noise, talking etc I sometimes have to raise my voice to it but it works pretty well overall
    and I get easily confused when switching between modes with the buttons and frozen fingers or trying to rush so the voice control was a pleasant surprise

The other cool thing about the app is that you can adjust mode or settings from your phone too vs having to go thru all the button pushing menu on the camera

Caveat/ negatives- the first session 5 I got did not work at all. wouldn't even turn on. But I had a new one to replace it really quickly and have dug it ever since
    (full disclosure my future husband [I refuse to say fiancee ] is a long time gopro athlete so my experience with customer service might be skewed)

I feel like maybe we should start a gopro tips and tricks thread as now I am thinking of tons of little things about it (altho we'll certainly be mocked by the go amateur haters at some point)
    skid luxury

Is there an app that will let you make exposure edits?

I took a night vid and was hoping to brighten it. The typical"editing" apps just give you a filter or two.

let me check with andrew as I am a pretty basic user but he does a lot of night shots/time lapses so I bet will know
    skid luxury

Argh exposure. Any sun at all and snow is overexposed on my GoPro footage. Very annoying. Is there a hidden setting I haven't found for bright settings? I can't imagine it's not there somewhere but I've been lame figured it out yet

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    Caveat/ negatives- the first session 5 I got did not work at all. wouldn't even turn on. But I had a new one to replace it really quickly and have dug it ever since
    (full disclosure my future husband [I refuse to say fiancee ] is a long time gopro athlete so my experience with customer service might be skewed)
    My experience with their customer service was also great. Used to have a 4 silver that started to freezing up after just a few seconds of recording after owning for a few months, I got a replacement in no time with an extra battery. Not a problem dealing with gopro by email...

This is why I'm leaning toward buying a new one rather than finding something on craigslist or going with the Chinese knockoff versions that are super popular now. (though to be honest, the Chinese knock off of the Session5 doesn't have voice command and isn't waterproof, so those are deal breakers).
    Just waiting for an REI member sale to pull the trigger (or a mag gopro athlete kicking a deal my way ), since GoPro has pretty effectively price fixed the market. Isn't that supposed to be illegal?

one of the best deals I got on a gopro was amazon free gift card or backcountry free $50 accessories which you can get a dual charger+extra battery for the black or some other stuff for the session + the AJ kick back, which ends up a nice deal for an otherwise fixed price product

How many people routinely use a gimbal? This seems to make a pretty big difference with some POV stuff (especially biking), but certainly bumps the cost waaaay up. And it seems like it would increase the pain in the ass factor by a large degree.

still notvery popular for skiing, since helmet isthe most common mount place, but I'm getting one for summer mtb pov since chest mount is my favorite, it does indeed bring the footage to the next level!

thinking I'm going to get tge gopro stuff as soon as they release theextension cable for their karma grip

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    How many people routinely use a gimbal? This seems to make a pretty big difference with some POV stuff (especially biking), but certainly bumps the cost waaaay up. And it seems like it would increase the pain in the ass factor by a large degree.
    It's awesome for follow cam stuff, and I know BB's man has used one of them for some of his stuff. It can make some of the stuff actually watchable that wasn't previously.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Gimbal recs? Do you have to spend $400 bucks? Or can they be had for $100 and not be a total failure?

I have a 2 axis wearable gimbal, it only cost $100. It works, and it's so cheap I don't mind if I break it. But not as good as the more expensive ones I'm sure, but it's pretty cool.