Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    the dot is meaningless in gmail addresses.
    last.first is the same as lastfirst

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    the dot is meaningless in gmail addresses.
    last.first is the same as lastfirst
    Huh.... I did not know that. I just tested it (I have a dot in mine) from another email and it went through. That was new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Huh.... I did not know that. I just tested it (I have a dot in mine) from another email and it went through. That was new to me.
    You can also use '+xxxxxxx' and it goes to the same address but allows for sorting.

I had an address since April 04, I don't have any idea why my friend had codes so quickly but he did

I have my real name as a Gmail address. There's a lawyer in Georgia with my name and sometimes I get emailed Court docs. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    On topic, it's not like there was an abundance of great email clients available in 2005. There was what, Hotmail, Yahoo and AOL?
    I think it was mostly POP accounts hosted by the ISPs, who used your email address as a form of customer captivity.

<snip>

On topic, it's not like there was an abundance of great email clients available in 2005. There was what, Hotmail, Yahoo and AOL?
    Yup - pretty much. Gmail ate their lunch in the functionality department. I'd had a Yahoo! email for a LONG time and was quite happy to switch to gmail around '08.

The email sans periods thing is new to me as well. In that case mine is my first, middle initial, last. Good way to avoid the spam

Speaking of the name thing, I’m ready to ditch my primary gmail.
    About five years ago three dumb folks in India and Indonesia and one in California started typing in my name instead of their actual email and I get bank statements, instagrams, flight reservations etc.

Half tempted to fuck with them, but I’m not that mean.
    . . .

Close, last.first@gmail.com

I regularly get spam-ish emails (account confirmation emails for apps I never signed up for, emailed receipts purportedly from Home Depot locations in Texas, stuff like that) addressed to lastfirst@gmail.com. I don't know what the deal is there.

Mindspring
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Mindspring
    I thought I was the only one

Well thanks for mailsplaning this to us.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Anyone want to give me an invite to gmail?

Gmail app has gone to shit imo

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I have my real name as a Gmail address. There's a lawyer in Georgia with my name and sometimes I get emailed Court docs. Lol
    I was using my full name with my old yahoo email account. I have the same name as a notable local political writer and I received death threats, I was a middle schooler iirc. Got a pretty sweet tour of the Boston Globe facility outta it. Perhaps this discussion belongs in the million dollar ideas thread.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 01-20-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Raise your hand if you have a gmail account that is your real name.

spoiler: I am the only person in the country with my name.
    mine is my full name at gmail dot com

We're the only family with our last name in the country. Unfortunately 3 of us have the same first initial. So I opted for a number instead of full first name. But the similarity is how we discovered a long lost branch of the family (lost to us, they knew where they were the whole time)--when an email meant for a member of one branch went to a member of the other branch. That was before they invented DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Mindspring
    Holy crap! I had some local internet provider email like you guys are talking about, the ones where you are held hostage. But the holy crap is because I think this walk down memory lane just reminded me of my old login name to TGR that I abandoned when I lost it years ago, before I came back.

I’m gonna have to see if it still works...

superhuman is the new gmail

I still have two burner Juno accounts whose passwords I have long forgotten. It might be interesting to see what crap has piled up in the inboxes over the years.