Page 131 of 190 FirstFirst ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 4750
    Not to interrupt the lovefest but backside was open at disco today. Didnt get up till 130ish but there were maybe a dozen people lapping what was open. Still thin but lots of fresh turns to be had. Zero fucks given about packs on backside. Happy for more open terrain.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200110_141112.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	310097

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    This response is stipulated in Rasputin's Snowbowl contract guaranteeing free hot chocolates from the bar.
    What? You mean the bar where Andy Morris charged me $13.50 for two slices and a Kokane?

I quit working for them last year. While working off my pass for the tenth time in a dozen years, I had my usual slow start while I got myself in shape with the customary hard labor. The first day Pat shows me a sample size of wood he wanted the wood split to, saying "I wouldn't go any bigger than that." so I didn't. Every piece was that size or smaller. As a result it took twice as long to pile it up as another guy who'd been splitting them to twice the size. The next day I talked to Pat again, and he told me I could make them twice the size. The splitter was a homemade thing they'd borrowed from someone, which was vertical, and the head didn't raise more than 24 inches. Because I am 6'4" I felt the wisest way to work was to move rounds next to the splitter where I sat on a round and fed them until they were done then repeat. Andy Morris drove by, saw me sitting, and decided I wasn't working hard enough. He went and complained to Pat, apparently, the other guy who is eight inches shorter than me didn't need to sit down to preserve his back through eight hours of work.

The next day I hauled and stacked. Pat had asked for only Tamarack and Douglas fir to be put in the bar, because it burns slow and clean. Pat went to town, and I found that the wood I needed was mixed in with "Piss pine", so I picked out the wood that I'd been told to get. While stacking, I found that the stacking that had been done by the other guy was a mess, and spent some time making the stack stable so it wouldn't fall on the pizza makers getting fire wood. When Pat came back I told him I'd been picking through the pile for the right wood, and he told me to split more fir, I did. I didn't tell him about restacking the mess I found.

The next week I again stacked wood. I started with the pile by the basement door to Snowbowl Lodge. The other guy had started it, and stacked it to five feet high. Pat wanted me to stack it high, as I have always done. I took one piece off of the top and the stack avalanched. I rebuilt it, making sure that it was properly tied in on the end that had no wall to stop it. I didn't tell Pat, I wasn't going to badmouth the work of the other guy. Then I went to work on the Nila Lodge, Pat had shown me that the other guy (who moved more wood than I had ever been able to do) only stacked the wood five feet high, and he wanted me to stack it to the rafters, like I've always done. Reaching over several stacks to raise the previously stacked wood, I felt very good about my output that day. I hauled and stacked three and a half heaping truck loads of wood, which was a little off my usual pace, but I'd had to do all that mop up of the piles I added to. Around lunch Pat came through, and I told him I had put in for time off the first week of October, so I could get the work done sooner than just coming in on my days off. Pat, unlike all previous years yelled at me that that wasn't soon enough, because it might rain. In previous years he had always been fine with whatever time pass trade workers had to do the work. This year he complained that my days off didn't work for him.

The next day he sent me back to spiltting, and before I was even started Pat came down and started yelling at me that the other guy had been running circles around me (we never worked on the same days), he told me that Andy and Brad had complained that the wood wasn't getting done fast enough, and since they were yelling at him, he was going to yell at me. I thought about it while furiously working that morning, I felt that it was just hurting too much, and that I might just quit, because I'd developed knee injuries in the two years since I'd worked up there last, and the increased expectations, for the zero overhead they invested in getting the work done, wasn't worth it to me. I left undecided.

The following Sunday Pat called to ask me to come work, on the day he'd told me that I could work previously. I told him I didn't get the sense they wanted my help up there anymore, that I had come up and worked hard....Pat interrupted me to tell me I hadn't worked hard. I hung up. I was done with working for him or the Morrises. I really loved working there until last year, fuck them, no wonder barely anyone is willing to do the work anymore. There used to be up to eight people working firewood at the same time, now they are luck to have one guy doing it.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    What? You mean the bar where Andy Morris charged me $13.50 for two slices and a Kokane?

I quit working for them last year. While working off my pass for the tenth time in a dozen years, I had my usual slow start while I got myself in shape with the customary hard labor. The first day Pat shows me a sample size of wood he wanted the wood split to, saying "I wouldn't go any bigger than that." so I didn't. Every piece was that size or smaller. As a result it took twice as long to pile it up as another guy who'd been splitting them to twice the size. The next day I talked to Pat again, and he told me I could make them twice the size. The splitter was a homemade thing they'd borrowed from someone, which was vertical, and the head didn't raise more than 24 inches. Because I am 6'4" I felt the wisest way to work was to move rounds next to the splitter where I sat on a round and fed them until they were done then repeat. Andy Morris drove by, saw me sitting, and decided I wasn't working hard enough. He went and complained to Pat, apparently, the other guy who is eight inches shorter than me didn't need to sit down to preserve his back through eight hours of work.

The next day I hauled and stacked. Pat had asked for only Tamarack and Douglas fir to be put in the bar, because it burns slow and clean. Pat went to town, and I found that the wood I needed was mixed in with "Piss pine", so I picked out the wood that I'd been told to get. While stacking, I found that the stacking that had been done by the other guy was a mess, and spent some time making the stack stable so it wouldn't fall on the pizza makers getting fire wood. When Pat came back I told him I'd been picking through the pile for the right wood, and he told me to split more fir, I did. I didn't tell him about restacking the mess I found.

The next week I again stacked wood. I started with the pile by the basement door to Snowbowl Lodge. The other guy had started it, and stacked it to five feet high. Pat wanted me to stack it high, as I have always done. I took one piece off of the top and the stack avalanched. I rebuilt it, making sure that it was properly tied in on the end that had no wall to stop it. I didn't tell Pat, I wasn't going to badmouth the work of the other guy. Then I went to work on the Nila Lodge, Pat had shown me that the other guy (who moved more wood than I had ever been able to do) only stacked the wood five feet high, and he wanted me to stack it to the rafters, like I've always done. Reaching over several stacks to raise the previously stacked wood, I felt very good about my output that day. I hauled and stacked three and a half heaping truck loads of wood, which was a little off my usual pace, but I'd had to do all that mop up of the piles I added to. Around lunch Pat came through, and I told him I had put in for time off the first week of October, so I could get the work done sooner than just coming in on my days off. Pat, unlike all previous years yelled at me that that wasn't soon enough, because it might rain. In previous years he had always been fine with whatever time pass trade workers had to do the work. This year he complained that my days off didn't work for him.

The next day he sent me back to spiltting, and before I was even started Pat came down and started yelling at me that the other guy had been running circles around me (we never worked on the same days), he told me that Andy and Brad had complained that the wood wasn't getting done fast enough, and since they were yelling at him, he was going to yell at me. I thought about it while furiously working that morning, I felt that it was just hurting too much, and that I might just quit, because I'd developed knee injuries in the two years since I'd worked up there last, and the increased expectations, for the zero overhead they invested in getting the work done, wasn't worth it to me. I left undecided.

The following Sunday Pat called to ask me to come work, on the day he'd told me that I could work previously. I told him I didn't get the sense they wanted my help up there anymore, that I had come up and worked hard....Pat interrupted me to tell me I hadn't worked hard. I hung up. I was done with working for him or the Morrises. I really loved working there until last year, fuck them, no wonder barely anyone is willing to do the work anymore. There used to be up to eight people working firewood at the same time, now they are luck to have one guy doing it.

Man, that's really too bad. So much of what happens up there makes no sense. So did you end up with a pass this year?

In other news, today did not suck. At all.

And the word on the street is that the cable splicing crew is going to start working on Tuesday. Good for the kids and the Bowl overall, but man, if I didn't have two shorties I would take the Bowls as is and wouldn't mind if it stayed this way permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post

What a fucking story. So they expect people to work for less than minimum wage(60 hours with preferred pass rates being under $600) and they give their workers shit for it as well?

I do the same thing when I use the splitter, get a bunch of rounds situated and then sit in a chair while splitting them. Kills my back otherwise. What a bunch of shitbirds for treating you that way.

Had a conversation with 2 patrollers at the top of snow park this afternoon. Told them that the first couple towers on the new chair is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I swear those guide bars could snap your neck if there was a bad bounce.

They both completely agreed with me, and had been told by Pat that he is going to fix them this week before they reopen. They have tassels tied on to the bars now, but if you are loading solo you have to lean to your right, especially if you are 6 feet tall.

I then thanked the patrollers for their hard work and efforts. Real and underappreciated MVPs up there

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I kinda fucked up. Vegged today because I thought Sunday and especially Monday would be amazing, but now it's looking like the storm is gonna stall over Lookout Pass again. Dammit!

Does the new lift really spread people out? I guess we have no way to really know without Levalle.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I lurk here to see what skiing is like up the road from Bozeman and holy shit, Snowbowl sounds like a garbage fire. Vibes to you guys for putting up with that gong show season after season.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Had a conversation with 2 patrollers at the top of snow park this afternoon. Told them that the first couple towers on the new chair is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I swear those guide bars could snap your neck if there was a bad bounce.

They both completely agreed with me, and had been told by Pat that he is going to fix them this week before they reopen. They have tassels tied on to the bars now, but if you are loading solo you have to lean to your right, especially if you are 6 feet tall.
    Pink ribbon seems like a perfect snowbowl fix...would be nice if lifties would give a heads (ha) up to people while loading.

Storm did fizzle, but fun turns off Griz today. Hike to top couple times, worth the hike.

And x2 on bowl patrol. Never complain about them, top notch. Anyone remember the old guy always smoking a cigar? He was also my chem prof.

Tom Thomas, Art sucks. Cars parked to bartenders corner almost!

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I would take the Bowls as is and wouldn't mind if it stayed this way permanently.
    You're fucking kidding right? I understand how some folks are "enjoying" the fact there's less people up top, but that kind of logic is what perpetuates the Snowbowl No Sense. Seems like just a way to cope with being emotionally beaten down by that mountain for so many years.

I can sympathize with mechanical failures and issues out of their control. But what gets me is the pure lack of communication and give a fuck. It really seems to be at an all time low (in my 15 seasons there).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not kidding, but maybe I have just been clockwork oranged by Ronnie.

Also you deleted the first half of my sentence. Too bad you were at work today.

I kinda fucked up. Vegged today because I thought Sunday and especially Monday would be amazing, but now it's looking like the storm is gonna stall over Lookout Pass again. Dammit!

Does the new lift really spread people out? I guess we have no way to really know without Levalle.
    Not really. Our snow totals over the next couple of days have gone down from earlier predictions.
    Vibes to you guys enduring the snow bowl shit show.

Man, that's really too bad. So much of what happens up there makes no sense. So did you end up with a pass this year?
    Well it was easy for me to understand. The previous year, Pat didn't call me as he always had before, I figured he was too busy with work on the chairlift, or whatever, so I bought a pass. Then a year ago summer, I went up to the Bowl for the last Sunday of summer. First Jimmy, who had been running the bar in Garland's absence, asked when I'd be available to stock the bar with wood. Then, Andy Morris came in and asked if I'd be doing firewood soon. Then Pat came in and asked the same thing. Finally Brad came in and asked if I'd be doing wood, all within the space of an hour.

The previous winter, when I hadn't done it, they ran out of wood for the bar, and it had lead to Pat periodically yelling at employees or customers who put more wood on the fire than the bare minimum, and the lack of firewood had created plenty of heat for them. So, when I came up there, they had some panic to get it done, the Morrises were on Pat's case, and fearful that it wouldn't get done, and Pat was under pressure to make sure it got done quickly in addition to focusing on the chairlift.

I don't hate Pat, he's just a small man sometimes, and rather than standing up for me he turned the heat on me, wrong move. My son had got a job, and had started paying rent, so though it would save me money, I was really working for the love of it.

So I have a more personal reason than most of the whiners, for not being happy with the operation. The reason I defend the Bowl, is because it's awesome skiing a lot of the time, I have some long time friends who work up there, and it feels like family to me. Also, I am bothered by tools like Stuck who blather on like they know what's going on, when they are just plain wrong. Accuracy and truth mean something to me, and I'm actually bothered by falsehoods that some are so eager to engage in.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

I can definitely say that skiing snowbowl through college made me a better skier. When the conditions align that mountain is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    I can definitely say that skiing snowbowl through college made me a better skier. When the conditions align that mountain is great.
    Word. Mount Dumpy makes great skiers.

Full refresh in the Bowls again. Amazing.

Skinned up Paradise, run on whip cream was really good. Then down west ridge. Awesome day at the skinbowl.

The new chair skied well today. True blues in my opinion. Lots of leftovers on the edges, a good spot to test my aching knees.

Upper Grizzly skied really nice, I would have tried the trees, but was in my own today.

Edit: chatted with Pat today, they expect to work on Lavelle this coming week. They have pulled about a dozen chairs off the cable. Surprisingly (to me), he said they don't need another test/inspection when complete. But that could have been a misunderstanding of my question.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Huh, so it looks like they spun the broken cable line back down to the bottom to conduct the work. Glad to hear that they are moving forward with their attempt to fix it.

Refresh was amazing today, and gave me some extra confidence to explore more of the TV mountain woods. It can get very rowdy on the way down the frontside, especially if you are coming above the t-bar. Overall, the last few days has me pleased about the potential of that area.

Skinned Lavelle for the last run of the day, and was loving the quality of snow all the way down. Fingers crossed for the week ahead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6837.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	351.1 KB 
ID:	310386

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    The new chair skied well today. True blues in my opinion. Lots of leftovers on the edges, a good spot to test my aching knees.
    Truly epic low-angle meadowskipping on far skier's left. There must be a big grassy area over there because it sure isn't a cut run.

Truly epic low-angle meadowskipping on far skier's left. There must be a big grassy area over there because it sure isn't a cut run.
    This.

And Rasputin, sorry for not liking someone's shitty attitude after giving them $600. Guess I know nothing. I see updates constantly in my Facebook feed from Lookout and Losttrail, but hardly ever anything from Snowbowl. It's almost like someone actually doesn't give a shit about their business.

I'm sure the bowls are good, but it hasn't been deep enough for me to just ditch my buddy. lolz.
    Got a random fist bump from the new lifty today. That was cool. I paid it forward.

How's the powerline skiing?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Fuck you!,head bump coming your way.

Take the hit, get your revenge.