Page 127 of 191 FirstFirst ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 4758
    Hike-to bowl laps are not the worst thing.

You sorry saps of course it's the fault of a SKIER, the lift has been there for 50 years, sure, seen hundreds of thousands of people get off of it, but it was not until this one skier happened to get off at the wrong time that it became a problem. Could not possibly be a Snowbowl issue. Yes, skier should fear for his/her life.

Well at least they got Snow Park chair as a backup option now. That's better than just Griz, and after today they have enough snow to run it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What will the lift tix prices be w/o lavelle? Might actually be worth it to buy one or two to hike the bowls if we can get reasonable stability a day or two after the storm.

If they get snow park open, full price no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    You sorry saps of course it's the fault of a SKIER, the lift has been there for 50 years, sure, seen hundreds of thousands of people get off of it, but it was not until this one skier happened to get off at the wrong time that it became a problem. Could not possibly be a Snowbowl issue. Yes, skier should fear for his/her life.
    Yeah, aren't the lifts supposed to be able to take an accidental wheelhouse trip?

Chair 4 at LT opens tomorrow. Who else is headed down?

Guess those skins and Guardians will finally come in handy LMAO
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Also, isn't there supposed to be a stop bar to prevent that?
    No longer stuck.

I think they put Lavelle in during the mid-80s, because if I recall correctly it was still a T-bar up there when I moved to Missoula in 1983--so more like 30-35 years that lift has been there, and of course it was not a new lift to begin with--but yeah, they need an angel investor to pour some money into new lifts at that mountain. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    If the cable needs to be replaced, then lavelle is going to be fucked for Jan. That's a significant part of the season, so the culprits better hope they remain anonymous.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Snowbowl owner neglecting to invest into maintenance is the most likely culprit(Occam's razor).

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    If they get snow park open, full price no doubt.

At the moment only 2 runs are open on Griz.. I'm sure they can open a couple more with the snowfall but I don't think they would sell that many full priced tickets with half the low mountain open even if it's a holiday week. But OTOH, we have had snowbowl run the hill like this and manage to float for many decades because of their location.

There is definitely a stop bar up there. WTF?
    No longer stuck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG953142.jpg 
Views:	1503 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	308736

Think of this every time you ride Lavelle or pay $600 for a pass.

Damn that’s pretty nuts

Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    If you have some free time on your hands: https://scholarworks.umt.edu/cgi/vie...91&context=etd
    That's really interesting, especially the first part about the development, and the conclusion with analysis of the mistakes made. It all basically still holds true today. Thanks for posting that.

Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    If you have some free time on your hands: https://scholarworks.umt.edu/cgi/vie...91&context=etd
    I see we have continued the tradition. Is there any public information on revenue in the dry '14-'15 season? I think we could definitely dip below that given the team that we're working with here.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey2012 View Post

Name:	IMG953142.jpg 
Views:	1503 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	308736

Think of this every time you ride Lavelle or pay $600 for a pass.
    Wow.
    Where'd that photo come from? Own work?
    No longer stuck.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/up...me-top-story-1

Looks like someone found some persistent layers to activate today as well, a pair of unfortunate events for our little part of the world

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    That's really interesting, especially the first part about the development, and the conclusion with analysis of the mistakes made. It all basically still holds true today. Thanks for posting that.
    It would have been cool to put a lift up to Point Six and have Jenny Bowl be part of the area. Of course, that's impossible now since it is Wilderness, but it wasn't until 1980.

There should be at least be some stoke in this thread with the new snowfall, so here is some from yesterday.

Went skiing with the middle brother since his flight didn't leave until 6pm. After hiking out of the base of Lavelle, we ducked the ropes to ski the outhouse, which provided the goods:

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	308765

Snowing in town right now. I am warming up more to the idea of Lavelle being hike-only for the time being. With skins, it could be an interesting time to ski the east bowls.

^^^nice shots!

In the past when Lavelle was down for awhile, they groomed a path up highroller. It is an easy hike, even in alpine gear. A traverse from top of griz will likely also show up, so lower stuff will get tracked. Don't recall the year, think it was when a chair fell off at the bottom, I have a photo of the chair sitting next to the lift shack.

edit: someone should post the haul line photo as it's own thread. Someone on the forum might know what is required to fix and have an idea how long it should take. Can they cut out the bad part and splice in new? I was thinking they can only have one splice?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    ^^^nice shots!

In the past when Lavelle was down for awhile, they groomed a path up highroller. It is an easy hike, even in alpine gear. A traverse from top of griz will likely also show up, so lower stuff will get tracked. Don't recall the year, think it was when a chair fell off at the bottom, I have a photo of the chair sitting next to the lift shack.

edit: someone should post the haul line photo as it's own thread. Someone on the forum might know what is required to fix and have an idea how long it should take. Can they cut out the bad part and splice in new? I was thinking they can only have one splice?
    Nice pics above. New thread started per this suggestion.

WOOT WOOT! Nukin' in Missoula

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Hike-to bowl laps are not the worst thing.
    Skins will now be mandatory equipment for the near/long term.

Snowbowl also briefly lost power yesterday and I believe some folks were roped off griz.

A maintenance guy said they have to cut out a section and splice/weld a new section. Can’t imagine that is easy to do in the winter.

Also, the website and snow phone are both down.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

At least it is not snowi...oh shit.

They'll fix it when it stops snowing?

Just blow the place up and build a proper ski area at Wisherd Ridge.