Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    AD, did you specify SP as your "primary mountain" or whatever they call it?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    AD, did you specify SP as your "primary mountain" or whatever they call it?
    I did not. I figured it didn't make sense to limit myself like that. I go to Whistler often and I figured if I said Stevens was my primary mountain I'd have no chance at a refund if Whistler and/or the border shutdown in the middle of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I did not. I figured it didn't make sense to limit myself like that. I go to Whistler often and I figured if I said Stevens was my primary mountain I'd have no chance at a refund if Whistler and/or the border shutdown in the middle of the season.
    I would bet anything that's the problem. Since you didn't say that SP was important to you, Vail is basically saying you don't get a thing. It would be like trying to get a discount or refund if a resort in Cleveland didn't open when you live out West.

I would bet anything that's the problem. Since you didn't say that SP was important to you, Vail is basically saying you don't get a thing. It would be like trying to get a discount or refund if a resort in Cleveland didn't open when you live out West.
    But it's not like that since I live in Washington and Stevens is the only Epic mountain in the state. Seems to me they should be extending this to everyone in the state who bought a pass.

But it's not like that since I live in Washington and Stevens is the only Epic mountain in the state. Seems to me they should be extending this to everyone in the state who bought a pass.
    I totally hear you. But from Vail's perspective they can still say you get Whistler. And Vail and Park City etc.

I totally hear you. But from Vail's perspective they can still say you get Whistler. And Vail and Park City etc.
    True, but isn't that kind of the whole point of buying an Epic Pass? It seems a bit strange to snub those who went with the full pass and plunked down even more money to visit Vail's other resorts. I can understand that's why they are refunding $150 to those who bought Stevens exclusive passes since for them it's Stevens or nothing, but seems like everyone who bought some version of the Epic Pass should be treated similarly (i.e. get the $150 credit for next season).

‘member when you could be the only skier on Andromeda Face and Southern Cross was all but empty and still ran?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1643132266.821088.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	923.6 KB 
ID:	402798

I member!

The way it worked was if you designated a primary hill, and that hill closed early/whatever you were entitled to a refund, if you did not, as long as other Vail properties were open, they consider that you can use your pass, and so no refund.

seems like everyone who bought some version of the Epic Pass should be treated similarly (i.e. get the $150 credit for next season).
    This is the hard part about these passes. Not everyone who bought an Epic should get a remedy because Stevens has had issues this year. Should a Colorado Bro get a discount because Stevens had problems? No. Only people who care about Stevens should. They gave an imperfect way for Epic folks to show that Stevens was their home hill and you didn't choose that for valid reasons. In their view, you don't care as much about Stevens as you may actually do.

I suspect selecting a home mountain is going to be required for both Epic and Ikon next year if you buy the full pass.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    This is the hard part about these passes. Not everyone who bought an Epic should get a remedy because Stevens has had issues this year. Should a Colorado Bro get a discount because Stevens had problems? No. Only people who care about Stevens should. They gave an imperfect way for Epic folks to show that Stevens was their home hill and you didn't choose that for valid reasons. In their view, you don't care as much about Stevens as you may actually do.
    And there's the rub for me. Stevens is my local mountain, but I was more concerned about Whistler being closed or at least inaccessible to Americans, so I didn't pick a primary resort.

At the same time it seems like someone living in Washington is clearly more affected by the Stevens situation than someone outside the state whether or not you selected Stevens as your primary. It seems like if Vail is going to extend this courtesy for those affected by the situation at Stevens they should just give it to everyone in Washington.

Imo, if you buy a pass that supposedly works at a collection of mountains and one of them operates in a bullshit way that makes visiting unpalatable, you should probably get something back from the entity that didn't deliver what they promised. At least some of the value of every single one of these passes comes from the potential to enjoy a visit to any mtn on the pass, even if you don't actually utilize the benefit. Furthermore, you could argue that the experience at every sister resort is going to be worse off because of the traffic steered to them from the one(s) not operating as they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    Imo, if you buy a pass that supposedly works at a collection of mountains and one of them operates in a bullshit way that makes visiting unpalatable, you should probably get something back from the entity that didn't deliver what they promised. At least some of the value of every single one of these passes comes from the potential to enjoy a visit to any mtn on the pass, even if you don't actually utilize the benefit. Furthermore, you could argue that the experience at every sister resort is going to be worse off because of the traffic steered to them from the one(s) not operating as they should.
    If you are going to do that, then you screw over the people actually impacted. If Stevens is 1/40th the value of ever Epic Pass, then everyone gets $15 back. Does that help the Stevens locals where the use of Stevens makes up 80% of the value they get from the Epic?

While it's lame overall and AD is getting pretty screwed, I think they are making an effort and it's better than I expected from them, honestly.

While it's lame overall and AD is getting pretty screwed, I think they are making an effort and it's better than I expected from them, honestly.
    And honestly I'm not positive yet that I won't get anything, and if I don't it's not a big deal. I'm just glad to see progress is finally being made with regard to Stevens. Sounds like the backside may even open soon.

What would make the most sense is to give you a credit based on the number of days you're at Steven's up to a certain amount. You know they have that info based on scans. Say you get like $20 back per day used at Steven's up to a limit of $150 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    What would make the most sense is to give you a credit based on the number of days you're at Steven's up to a certain amount. You know they have that info based on scans. Say you get like $20 back per day used at Steven's up to a limit of $150 or something like that.
    Huh? This doesn't make sense to me. Many of us haven't gone as much because most of the mountain hasn't been open.

So this is interesting. Tom Fortune answered some questions about the discount and/or credit:
    Who is eligible? Any 21/22 pass holder whose pass provides access to Stevens Pass.
    This would imply that everyone with some sort of Epic Pass is eligible for the $150 credit for next season. They're going to sell lots of beer at the Bull's Tooth.
    Last edited by The AD; 01-25-2022 at 10:22 PM.

If you are going to do that, then you screw over the people actually impacted. If Stevens is 1/40th the value of ever Epic Pass, then everyone gets $15 back. Does that help the Stevens locals where the use of Stevens makes up 80% of the value they get from the Epic?

Not necessarily saying everyone should get the same kickback or a perfect system could ever be established. Just pointing out that people other than locals are still affected. I guess they can really show it bothers them by not buying another Epic pass next year.

Has there ever been any talk about the forest service just revoking the lease for a company like Vail that isn't a steward of mtns/local communities? That seems like the best hope

Yeah, there should be. It's useful to zoom out for a moment, this is a problem created by allowing a giant corporation to control local public resources. Through all the layers of bureaucracy, the FS is supposedly accountable to us. I'm surprised I have never heard of anybody on this board who has worked for or with the FS who could provide more context and information. Maybe I should go back and read that "starting a ski area on FS land" thread more closely.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

It looks like they are going to provide remedy for all Epic. As much as I hate to say it, their offer is actually pretty smart by having it a remedy that needs to be used at Stevens to ensure the person has some connections to the mountain. Not really satisfying for the Stevens skier that doesn't buy food/drink.

This would imply that everyone with some sort of Epic Pass is eligible for the $150 credit for next season. They're going to sell lots of beer at the Bull's Tooth.
    Except that credit likely won't apply to alcoholic beverages. I would bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Except that credit likely won't apply to alcoholic beverages. I would bet on it.
    You're probably correct about that.

Channel 13 just ran a story that the AG wants to hear from SP customers

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    I agree with this. Furthermore, while I think Stevens pass may be the worst and most glaring example, it doesn't seem like Vail's issues are isolated to SP. It seems like locals at other Vail owned locations are equally dissatisfied with Vail's subpar product this year. If I had an epic pass, I would be pissed to hear that Stevens pass locals were getting such a steep discount next yr while other epic pass holders who also received a diminished product at other resorts were getting nothing.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk