Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I listened to Louis CK interviewed by Marc Maron a while ago, before Louis's life blew up, and he was basically promoting Harold and Pete, his ten episode web TV series, which is really good, but, super dark. It used to be on CK's website, but, maybe HULU now. Louis asked Pesci to play the bartender role, and of course, he refused. Alan Alda eventually took the role, and he was awesome. But, I would love to be a fly on the wall and watch the encounter between CK and Pesci, because CK just drove out to his house in Jersey and knocked on the door. CK said he was nice, and helped him write the character. So, if you ever watch that series, there's a little Pesci in the Alan Alda character.
    One Interwebz account (i.e. story/article) I read mentioned that between Scorsese and DeNiro they asked Pesci 40 times to be in The Irishman before he said "Yes."

To put this in context, my Norwegian grandmother always said that if you ask somebody something 3 times and they refused on the third asking then you let it go. To ask further was impolite...guess it's different between Italians...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    What kind of fish?
    That was my first thought too.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I enjoyed watching the film. Due to timing I split it in two, 1 1/2 hours and 2, flowed nicely and kept me interested throughout. Not my favorite mob film but we are never going to see these actors together again.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Well, the critics have spoken...

The Irishman nabs 14 nominations for the Critic's Choice Awards:

https://variety.com/2019/film/awards...203428878/amp/
    Last edited by dookey67; 12-09-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    And DeNiro will always be DeNiro.

But Joseph Frank Pesci will always appeal to the youts...
    the whats?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    the whats?

One Interwebz account (i.e. story/article) I read mentioned that between Scorsese and DeNiro they asked Pesci 40 times to be in The Irishman before he said "Yes."
    How many times did John Hughes have to ask Pesci before he agreed to appear in Home Alone?

yes, I know, that's the joke.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Just watched the revered French gangster film Classe Tous Risques.
    Man does Robert DeNiro ever take after Lino Ventura in terms of his acting style.
    Highly recommend this film as you can definitely see its influence on Scorsese's work.

Yeah, I see it. De NIro has cited Marlon Brando and Montgomery Clift* as influences. I've never heard him mention Ventura. Robert Mitchum may have had some influence on De Niro, conscious or not.

*Clift as Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver = though experiment

Nick Nolte would have been a good Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    I didn't care much for it. I thought it sort of meandered around. I thought it was self-indulgently long. I didn't enjoy Deniro's mumbling, old man narration. I dont think the Sheeran character had much depth. I think having actors pushing 80 years old trying to play men in their 30s and 40s was so unconvincing that it broke the fourth wall. But most of all, I don't understand why Scorsese made a film full of outright lies.

The most egregious...Crazy Joe Gallo was shot at Umberto's Clam House because his crew was in an ongoing war with the rest of the Profaci/Colombo family. Pretty much everyone in the Colombos had assumed that Gallo had orchestrated the assassination of the family boss and Gallo was a marked man. It had NOTHING to do with something he said to Russell Buffalino. Plus, there were witnesses at Umberto's. Gallo was publicly murdered by a squad of Colombo shooters, not an old fat lone gunman. That's just a fact. It's well known mob history. To suggest that Sheeran did it is just fucking stupid unless Scorsese is actually trying to retcon all his mob films as being little more than lies told by aging mobsters looking to cash in. One of the great things about Goodfellas is the more you watch it, the more you understand that Henry Hill is an unreliable narrator. Henry always remembers everything in a light most favorable to himself. But, he is recounting actual events that he experienced as an associate in Paul Vario's Lucchese crew. There's a lot of truth in the story. The Irishman, however, really pushed the limits of having an unreliable narrator and pushed it way too far. I want a mob film that gives you a peek behind the curtains into a secret society. I'm not interested in a bunch of bullshit. This film...wtf...It's like Sheeran is the Forrest Gump of the mob. Bleh.
    I have to say, "self-indulgently long' is exactly what a Hollywood producer would say. Let the man make his movie, is what I say.

As for Crazy Joe and all the lies...the screenplay was based on Frank's book "I heard you paint houses" which is widely known as unreliable and full of lies. So of course the movie is not accurate it's Frank's outlandish yarn. Either way, it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I have to say, "self-indulgently long' is exactly what a Hollywood producer would say. Let the man make his movie, is what I say.

As for Crazy Joe and all the lies...the screenplay was based on Frank's book "I heard you paint houses" which is widely known as unreliable and full of lies. So of course the movie is not accurate it's Frank's outlandish yarn. Either way, it doesn't matter.
    Forrest Gump wasn't a real person.

Maybe I missed it, but did the film ever even suggest that Frank is full of shit? If you're going to use a real person, imho, you need to make it somewhat clear that he is an unreliable narrator as he rewrites history. Otherwise, what is the point? Historical revisionism for its own sake a la Tarantino? I knew that I Heard You Paint Houses is a controversial book. I just didn't see the film doing anything to contextualize that. Maybe I'll see something on the second time through but I'm not eager for a rewatch. Its weird in that the film is not self-contained; it seems like the viewer is required to already know I Heard You Paint Houses is a controversial book.

I never said it was a bad film. Just not for me. Too many fourth wall issues; I just couldn't "get into it". I watched it from a detached perspective and came away thinking Scorsese had already covered these themes and done a better job of it in Goodfellas. For what its worth, I do think Ol' Joe deserves a supporting actor nod.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 12-10-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Forrest Gump wasn't a real person.

Maybe I missed it, but did the film ever even suggest that Frank is full of shit? If you're going to use a real person, imho, you need to make it somewhat clear that he is an unreliable narrator as he rewrites history. Otherwise, what is the point? Historical revisionism for its own sake a la Tarantino?

I never said it was a bad film. Just not for me. Too many fourth wall issues; I just couldn't "get into it". I watched it from a detached perspective and came away thinking Scorsese had already covered these themes and done a better job of it in Goodfellas.
    Frank was real though.

I can't say why Marty picked this story, it's weird for sure. Sure is a good one though, although I agree 'Goodfellas' was done better. Besides clearly showing the book title once or twice, that's the only hint was given about Frank being a liar...I think, and probably not many people remember his book coming out. (I watched this thing in 4 pieces, one hour of it was while getting cavities filled. Just as Dookey says, I shoulda seen it in the theaters, I'm sure I missed a lot)

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

Right. It's a fictional dramatization of one book's version of events. Nobody to this day knows. It's one of the great mysteries of the late twentieth century, up there with D.B. Cooper.

Goodfellas was narrated by a snitch, who went into witness protection. You trust that?

Right. It's a fictional dramatization of one book's version of events. Nobody to this day knows. It's one of the great mysteries of the late twentieth century, up there with D.B. Cooper.
    Dude, they solved the D.B. Cooper mystery in that Dax Shepard/Matthew Lillard/Seth Green flick Without A Paddle, which I am pretty sure was based on a true story...

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    I liked it. We watched The Irishman last weekend, then The Godfather and Godfather Part II this week. The Irishman is far from Scorsese's best work, but to my eye it's a good bit better than those two Oscar Best Picture winners.
    Did you just favorably compare The Irishman to THE GODFATHER?!?!?! Seriously? Those two films won Best Picture for good reason. The Irishman was by no stretch a bad movie, I quite liked it, but to say it is a GOOD BIT BETTER than two of the best movies ever made (and not just mob movies, but ANY movies) is lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Did you just favorably compare The Irishman to THE GODFATHER?!?!?!
    No, actually. It was a contrast. Scorsese makes better movies. We just watched Godfather and Godfather II, both of which were overrated from the get go and have not aged well. I sorta liked them when I first saw them, but not so much the viewing last week. Re Godfather's legacy, see https://www.newyorker.com/culture/ri...-the-godfather

Oscar best picture is hardly a mark of classic status. Gigi won the best picture Oscar. Ordinary People beat out Raging Bull for best picture.

I don't think it was mentioned here, but, Nicholson played Hoffa in a '92 film that Danny Devito directed and played a major role. It's pretty good. Jack does better Hoffa.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    No, actually. It was a contrast. Scorsese makes better movies. We just watched Godfather and Godfather II, both of which were overrated from the get go and have not aged well. I sorta liked them when I first saw them, but not so much the viewing last week. Re Godfather's legacy, see https://www.newyorker.com/culture/ri...-the-godfather

Oscar best picture is hardly a mark of classic status. Gigi won the best picture Oscar. Ordinary People beat out Raging Bull for best picture.
    Dude, The Godfather is frequently mentioned in Best Movie EVER conversations?!? Fuck the Oscar - The Hollywood Reporter took a poll of thousands of movie industry members and The Godfather was voted BEST MOVIE, EVER. Overrated from the get go?? Seriously? A LOT of people disagree with you sir. The Godfather is one of - if not THE - best movie ever made, and I'm not the only one that thinks that. The Irishman, on the other hand, is not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...id=mailsignout

This piece articulates what I've thought about this movie since I've seen it.

Why the Most Ridiculous Part of ‘The Irishman’ Actually Works https://nyti.ms/2tiwuOi 

It's a movie made by a very old man acted by old man based on a memoir written by an old man lamenting his loss of friends and family before a lonely death.

It seems easier to make a young person look old than an old person look young.