Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Attempting to steal signs in real time with human error is part of the game. Using telescopes / cctv etc is banned for good reason. Obviously MLB disagrees. If it's supposed to be cool, why not just tell the batter what pitch is coming? Let them look at the catcher? It's ridiculous. Yes, players and teams will always look for an edge but they had been warned not to look here because it was not 'an edge', it was cheating.

You guys are either complete homers or have a screw loose.

And look at the 2019 red sox without the cheating... that was a pretty sharp regression from a 108* win season with the same squad.
    Jesus dude give it a rest. The holier than thou shit is getting old. Neither of us is saying what you just stated. That’s a straw man.

Sign stealing (legal and illegal) has been part of baseball since the beginning. Nobody is arguing that the Sox and Astros didn’t do something wrong and get caught. What we are saying is that every team does shit like this in some form or another. Even your precious Yankees. Sure it’s an advantage. Is that what made these teams win the series? No. The Sox dispatched the Dodgers handily even with an MLB observer in the room. They were a super talented team that won tons of games home and away. They put up 16 runs against the Yankees in New York.

I know you’re searching for reasons why you team has been a huge disappointment the last four or five years but this isn’t it.

There is no doubt that the Astros stole those series from the 2017 Dodgers/Yankees. The home away splits prove it. They couldn't take a game from the yanks away from the dome.

The '18 series loss rests on Boone and fucking Stanton not being able to lay off the most garbage pitches I've ever seen. But, winning the division and having to fight your way through the wild card is a big difference.

I don't see it as being straw man. You're saying everyone does shady shit (whatabout and hasty generalization).
    What shady shit is coming out about 2018 other than the cheating ass red sox?
    Where are the fines and suspensions for other players / teams?

MLB just did a huge investigation.... and I'm not seeing anything.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

And look at the 2019 red sox without the cheating... that was a pretty sharp regression from a 108* win season with the same squad.
    I don't think anyone's arguing it wasn't cheating or shouldn't be punished, it's just all the handwringing that's annoying. People cheat, they get busted, life goes on.

Sox team batting 2018 vs. 2019 is almost identical. Crazy similar. 1 point difference in team BA, .268 vs. .269 for example. It's the pitching that fell apart. You can look it up.

Home road splits? Are you serious?

Literally the entire league averages a better home record than away, by 4 games in 2019, 4 games in 2018, and 5 games in 2017, 4 games in 2016, and 5 games in 2015. Literally constant from season to season. That trend holds all the way back to at least the early 2000's.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...tandings.shtml

You are just being a sore loser. Everyone here agrees there should be some punishment, but the Pete Rose treatment is absurd here.
    Live Free or Die

What does Pete Rose have to do with anything? Biggest straw man here award goes to you for positing this comparison. Has anyone said lifetime ban for Cora, etc? No. Just some whiny homers making unreasonable comparisons.

And yeah, teams play better at home but when you have seven guys that go from Alex Cora to Barry Bonds and confirmed system of cheating....

2017*
    2018*
    108*

Well no matter what happens we'll always have a decade of Yankees futility to look back on fondly.

"Ellsbury"

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well no matter what happens we'll always have a decade of Yankees futility to look back on fondly.

"Ellsbury"
    If I was rooting for a team that was wasting Judge's best years by not figuring out how to build a team that can win in the playoffs I'd be pissed too.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Looks clear the Sox will get slapped hard too, and I'm okay with that. It's all the hand-wringing and piousness I can't take, not the enforcement of rules and penalties.
    Not wringing hands or genuflecting to any unwritten roles or old school tradition, just so fucking pissed that breaking the stated, and restated rules resulted in WS wins.
    and impacted the careers and legacies of people like Kershaw.

And I did call for Cora to get a lifetime ban, me.

When people defend Rose's ban they point to the clearly printed and clear rule 21 that he broke.
    Cora the same, x 2.
    there is some equivalency.

On Sept. 15, 2017, in the commissioners statement announcing his fines of the Red Sox and Yankees, Manfred admitted “the prevalence of technology, especially the technology used in the replay process, has made it increasingly difficult to monitor appropriate and inappropriate uses of electronic equipment.”

He drew a line in the sand: “All 30 clubs have been notified that future violations of this type will be subject to more serious sanctions, including the possible loss of draft picks.”

Then 2018
    The 2018 memo stated, “Electronic equipment, including game feeds in the club replay room and/or video room, may never be used during a game for the purpose of stealing the opposing team’s signs.”

In boldface the memo emphasized, “To be clear, the use of any equipment in the clubhouse or in the club’s replay or video rooms to decode opposing signs during the game violates this regulation."

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Not wringing hands or genuflecting to any unwritten roles or old school tradition, just so fucking pissed that breaking the stated, and restated rules resulted in WS wins.
    and impacted the careers and legacies of people like Kershaw.

And I did call for Cora to get a lifetime ban, me.

When people defend Rose's ban they point to the clearly printed and clear rule 21 that he broke.
    Cora the same, x 2.
    there is some equivalency.

On Sept. 15, 2017, in the commissioners statement announcing his fines of the Red Sox and Yankees, Manfred admitted “the prevalence of technology, especially the technology used in the replay process, has made it increasingly difficult to monitor appropriate and inappropriate uses of electronic equipment.”

He drew a line in the sand: “All 30 clubs have been notified that future violations of this type will be subject to more serious sanctions, including the possible loss of draft picks.”

Then 2018
    The 2018 memo stated, “Electronic equipment, including game feeds in the club replay room and/or video room, may never be used during a game for the purpose of stealing the opposing team’s signs.”

In boldface the memo emphasized, “To be clear, the use of any equipment in the clubhouse or in the club’s replay or video rooms to decode opposing signs during the game violates this regulation."
    I couldn't give a shit about a lifetime 240 hitter, he is not Rose. Ban him, don't. The travesty is that we were all cheated out of seeing the best teams play in the WS.

I couldn't give a shit about a lifetime 240 hitter, he is not Rose. Ban him, don't. The travesty is that we were all cheated out of seeing the best teams play in the WS.
    the 1981 replay x 2 would have been nice, although I would have spent way to much money on tickets to games in the Bronx

Name:  3m7irt.jpg
Views: 4466
Size:  44.8 KB
    I still call it The Jake.

Carlos Beltran to step down as Mets manager in connection with cheating scandal.

Beltran just lost his job, too.

Edit: dammit Bmills!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Jessica Mendoza. She needs to have a trash can put over her head and have someone bang a sign sequence on it.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Jessica Mendoza. She needs to have a trash can put over her head and have someone bang a sign sequence on it.
    She really is trending poorly today isn’t she?

“No one was looking into this before he gave the interview”

What? How dense are you Jess? The Indians alone filed a couple complaints about the Astros cheating in 2018.

Bregman and Altuve with buzzers?

just saw that, so altuve knew what was coming.

three years in a row bounced by cheaters. let the handwringing recommence!

Pete actually does have a point in all this:

Why aren’t the players who were banging on cans and benefiting from these signals being punished like the managers and front office guys?

players union i guess

I’m out of the loop today but apparently the rumor is there t goes much deeper, cliffs notes anyone?

Got a new left hip about 12 hours ago, I’m a little behind on the news but I was told there’s talk of Pinstripe involvement?

How's that hip feeling.? Lot of rehab ahead?

MLB 2020 Thread

Feels pretty good but I got some drugs in me, nothing radical though. Been walking around the floor with a walker a couple times. Shouldn’t be tough rehab it was done the easier-on-you anterior way. But walking same day is cool and doesn’t really hurt but it does feel weird

It’s basically been a 2-year process since I broke my acetabulum in Dec. ‘17. Hopefully this is the end of the story

I was almost smoked by a guy at Bridger a few years ago with a new knee and hip on the same side. It's a good time to grow old. Heal up.

Steal some signs from the nurses Ice.