Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    It sounds like you've got a pretty good paying job lined up, figure out housing and make the move. Worst case you don't like it and you move on in a year or two. There are plenty of people on the forum here in town to help with local knowledge.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    It sounds like you've got a pretty good paying job lined up, figure out housing and make the move. Worst case you don't like it and you move on in a year or two. There are plenty of people on the forum here in town to help with local knowledge.
    So here's my concern, my hesitation: Early 30's. Not single but not firmly tied down. I'm envisioning a possible scenario where I'm suddenly in the market and find myself limited to resort workers and...whatever else there is? With not much in terms of infrastructure (Hey let's grab a beer at X, or lets check out this show at Y; I'm used to having a pretty thick playbook living in a bigger city). So bottom line, I'm worried I'm gonna wind up spending prime years f*cking a moose. Maybe worse. Am I nuts? Where does one find quality lady-friend in resort-town?

Sounds a city might suit you better. In health care you can pretty much pick where u want to go I would think

OP, not to dissuade you from moving to a mtn mecca but, based on that last post... you have to figure with less of a crop (of viable candidates), you would think there will be an even smaller percentage of intelligent motivated candidate types too.

I mean, how many BBear's percapita can there be?

I would seriously evaluate your current relationship (along with short/long term goals) and assign a weight to each of the many health benefits greater Jackson imbues and see how it all stacks up.

Jackson's paltry population of 10k+ belies the city feel it has taken on. You don't saddle up to a beer after parking your sled in town no more and there's the Russian infiltration.

Disclaimer - met my 2nd wife in the village. I settled and shouldn't have and I'm no jaded local either.

I did hear there's bison petting coming soon
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    So here's my concern, my hesitation: Early 30's. Not single but not firmly tied down. I'm envisioning a possible scenario where I'm suddenly in the market and find myself limited to resort workers and...whatever else there is? With not much in terms of infrastructure (Hey let's grab a beer at X, or lets check out this show at Y; I'm used to having a pretty thick playbook living in a bigger city). So bottom line, I'm worried I'm gonna wind up spending prime years f*cking a moose. Maybe worse. Am I nuts? Where does one find quality lady-friend in resort-town?
    ok buddy if this is a real honest to god statement regarding how you think
    you are ready to fail at ski town living, don't do it, don't waste your time or money moving there and then leaving in a year or two
    ski town living is not the fantasy that everyone has in their heads
    I can go on and on about all the negitives the sob stories the people who really don't give a fuck who you are the jaded reality
    on the other hand I can't function anywhere else, ski town life has fucked me for too long now, so the real world is out, it's the greatest small town living in the world, underneath all the layers of bs, tourists, part timers, and wanna bees, there are people who have chosen to give up on the safety, convenience, and low cost of living in the rest of the world, we quietly go about our everyday lives
    while all the bs swirls around us, I can't say enough great things about ski town living, I can also dish out all the negatives which always rattle a newcomer once they start to get settled
    if a chick saying this to you would upset you then don't move here "really, I was besties with your ex and I don't think this is going to work out, your hot and cool and all, but I can't get over you were with her, I'm sure we'll see each other around"

Yeah, you should not move the Jackson. The moose are scared.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ok buddy if this is a real honest to god statement regarding how you think
    you are ready to fail at ski town living, don't do it, don't waste your time or money moving there and then leaving in a year or two
    ski town living is not the fantasy that everyone has in their heads
    I can go on and on about all the negitives the sob stories the people who really don't give a fuck who you are the jaded reality
    on the other hand I can't function anywhere else, ski town life has fucked me for too long now, so the real world is out, it's the greatest small town living in the world, underneath all the layers of bs, tourists, part timers, and wanna bees, there are people who have chosen to give up on the safety, convenience, and low cost of living in the rest of the world, we quietly go about our everyday lives
    while all the bs swirls around us, I can't say enough great things about ski town living, I can also dish out all the negatives which always rattle a newcomer once they start to get settled
    if a chick saying this to you would upset you then don't move here "really, I was besties with your ex and I don't think this is going to work out, your hot and cool and all, but I can't get over you were with her, I'm sure we'll see each other around"

Well, there you have it. That's the money shot.

-Glad you guys kicked it down, I didn't want to hammer too soon but...

With 'concerns' that the OP has, the door is slamming shut.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    fkna, pulling in md bank in a ski town and op is worried about getting laid, unbelievable. yeah, stay in Bellevue, doc.
    Exacry. If I based everywhere I moved on "where the chicks are" and social scene, I would have never left ATL 25 years ago.

"Quality Lady Friend"? You really think there's no quality women in a mountain town? Or maybe they aren't the ones lacking quality.

fkna, pulling in md bank in a ski town and op is worried about getting laid, unbelievable. yeah, stay in Bellevue, doc.
    there you have it folks

and I"m not trying to tell anyone not to move to a ski town, there are just some hard cold facts and it isn't for everyone
    even if you last the typical year or two, it may be the greatest time i your life, before you give up and go back to the real world

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    "Quality Lady Friend"? You really think there's no quality women in a mountain town? Or maybe they aren't the ones lacking quality.
    there is some bad ass chicks in mtn towns
    most of them are married or have boyfrends
    the rest of them don't have time for stupid boys and their shtick
    occasionally you can break them down though

<snip> Early 30's. Not single but not firmly tied down.
    I'm worried I'm gonna wind up spending prime years f*cking a moose.
    Hey, man... look on the bright side. Your "prime years" with regards to this particular topic are already WELL behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Hey, man... look on the bright side. Your "prime years" with regards to this particular topic are already WELL behind you.

Moose fucking is something you can always improve on, regardless of your age. Those sexy, sexy moose appreciate an experienced gentleman.

So bottom line, I'm worried I'm gonna wind up spending prime years f*cking a moose. Maybe worse. Am I nuts?
    Just close your eyes and hold on tight Doc, it's all pink on the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Do you really care more about sex than fucking skiing? Partners come and go, but a love of snow is eternal. You won't find peace in a vagina.

If so, what the hell are you doing trying to move to a remote ass mountain town? Figure your shit out.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Exacry. If I based everywhere I moved on "where the chicks are" and social scene, I would have never left ATL 25 years ago.

Yup. Unless OP has like no game whatsoever, a doctor should have zero problem no matter where he may be. However, one does not move to Jackson or [insert random mountain town here] for the ladies or the night life. They should be moving there for all the surroundings have to offer, which has endless possibilities for exploration and recreation. The Jackson area's incredible, but yeah, sounds like OP isn't quite ready for small town life. When you take away the tourist/seasonal population, it's pretty rural in a sense. You probably gotta be pretty comfortable with that to enjoy it.

Huskydoc, you're not going to be some broke kid coming out there to "Live the Dream" and needing to work a chairlift and shack up with 12 other dudes to make it happen. So I gotta ask, how much would your heart be in it, moving to a way out there small town like Jackson? If I was in your shoes, I'd be there yesterday, but be prepared...the big city it is not.

Moving to Jackson: Yay or nay?

Hey now, in defense of the good doctor... love life in Jackson might be a legitimate concern.

Most of the single gals I met had “just moved” and were quickly locked down by somebody. That’s the general strategy. Also ski dates are a thing, and so is hiking the pass with your date.

However, if you’re a medical professional, I’d say there’s nothing to worry about. Status is a beautiful thing.

I found a sexy girlfriend right away who loved Splitboarding and banging my brains out, but decided I wanted to play the field and dumped her ... big mistake in Jackson. Spent the next year single.

Most of the longtime local chicks I met and dated afterwards were certified badasses. No, they won’t have time for you if you can’t keep up.

Why? Because the best goddam skiers in North America are asking them on ski dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Moose fucking is something you can always improve on, regardless of your age. Those sexy, sexy moose appreciate an experienced gentleman.
    Improvement, yeah. But much like everything else... your 20's are where the "prime time" is. Too bad we're so young/dumb during our 20's.

Youth - it's wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    You won't find peace in a vagina.
    Just making sure this gem isn't lost in the shuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    Do you really care more about sex than fucking skiing? Partners come and go, but a love of snow is eternal. You won't find peace in a vagina.

If so, what the hell are you doing trying to move to a remote ass mountain town? Figure your shit out.
    I care about sex as much as skiing and bike riding

that's just me

nothing like morning sex, bike ride/ski, evening sex and bed, maybe throw some food and work in there
    had the perfect chick for that, too bad she was certified nuts, so I asked her to move out I do miss the sex now, just couldn't deal with her being amp'd 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Those sexy, sexy moose appreciate an experienced gentleman.
    Here in ColoRadBro, we call them cougars.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    had the perfect chick for that, too bad she was certified nuts, so I asked her to move out I do miss the sex now, just couldn't deal with her being amp'd 24/7
    Which reminds me of Pro Tip #2,549: Do not rush to move in with your ski town "girlfriend." I have never in my life seen so much freaking bf/gf drama as I did in Big Sky (it's the same drama in every ski town ever). I'd have friends who would link up and it wasn't the next week that he or she would be stealthily moving all their stuff in night by night. They probably rush to move in together so they can split rent, and the BF's probably want get their GF out of the house she currently shares with a bunch of bros or vice-versa. I hadn't seen that many drunken screaming matches since hanging out at my buddy's trailer park.

Some fresh blood in a small town like a young doctor? You better believe the honeys are gonna be all over that. DO NOT LET THEM MOVE IN if you want to avoid ensuing drama. Meeting ladies likely won't be a problem for OP. Avoiding drama can be.

Not having your nuts-o ski town temporary girlfriend live with you would make it SSSOOOOOO much easier to pull the ripcord on the relationship when that time inevitably comes. Pre-ski town life, I've dated plenty of girls, some of them loony. Thanks to that little rule of mine, it was always easy to bail when need be. After living in a ski town, I realized that my handy rule would have to be even more strictly enforced if I was to date in a place like that.

Home call is the least of the issues for you if pussy is the priority. Flowing nailed it here. Doc status won't mean shit with the ladies when the real money rolls up to the bar and crushes your game. Billionaires roll in to town to check on their 5th home and invite the lady you were just chatting up to visit and stay with him in his 6th, 7th and 8th homes for the next 3 months. You are far better off fishing in a bigger pond then worrying about how you can stand next to djongo on the tram dock every morning.

I would just pull the trigger and make the move to Jackson, dude. Don't overthink this.

Step up your game. Ski and bike harder. Hit the gym harder. Get really fit. Eat pussy like you're at a Michelin star restaurant. Watch Aspen Extreme while lifting weights for inspiration. Go kick ass.

What're you gonna do, punt on moving to shred city because you're afraid you're not good enough at fucking?

OP,

From the sounds of it... I would consider a larger mountain town, it will suit you better. You sound like you want to put down roots somewhere, not live somewhere for a few years. You have to fight hard to make the really small mountain town thing work.

Just to name a few towns worth looking, that have at least one world class primary outdoor activity and at least 3-4 mediocre level secondary activities (skiing, boating, river, lakes, fishing, hunting, mountain biking, climbing, mountaineering, etc ):
    Wenatchee
    Spokane
    Boise
    Bend
    Bozeman
    Missoula
    Bellingham

Sure, Jackson might have the best skiing, climbing and biking in the US (maybe, depends on who you ask) but these other places balance the rad outside stuff with not living in a small valley with a tiny community of trustafarians, jaded locals and billionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    You are far better off fishing in a bigger pond then worrying about how you can stand next to djongo on the tram dock every morning.
    Yeah, cuz that'll get you a whole lotta nothing.

Except maybe 500 tram laps next year and a few million Villy vert.

MK- you coming down to fish? The JH hut is open for guests...

This thread has taken some funny twists quickly.