Page 19 of 729 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    I can confidently answer the OP's question with a big YES.
    Keep it off my wave...Soundgarden

All right you crystal ball holding, economy predicting, stock market Nostradamuses - will the stock market hold above 7200 for the next couple weeks?

I need to invest $3k more in IRAs before April 15 to get full tax benefits for my IRAs and I'd like to do so at the lowest point possible.
    - any economic news coming out that will shit on Wall Street? - other predictable forces that could drop the market down a notch or two on the horizon?
    another Handsome Boy graduate

how long will you be investing them? its going to be pretty volatile for a while, stick it in a govt fund or high grade bond fund.
    Decisions Decisions

I've got 28 and a half years before I can get the money out of this batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Pete View Post
    All right you crystal ball holding, economy predicting, stock market Nostradamuses - will the stock market hold above 7200 for the next couple weeks?

I need to invest $3k more in IRAs before April 15 to get full tax benefits for my IRAs and I'd like to do so at the lowest point possible.
    - any economic news coming out that will shit on Wall Street? - other predictable forces that could drop the market down a notch or two on the horizon?
    Does your IRA offer a Blended Stable Value Fund? That is a good bet right now, with the 3-4-5% returns they are giving, although there may be some issues with them soon. Just deposit it in something safe, and educate yourself in the meantime. If it's like most IRAs, you can switch funds or investments with a phone call or a few clicks on the WWW pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 04-02-2009 at 04:39 PM.

I never look at this thread but want to know what beandip thinks. Especially about the big banks/broker dealers. Wat's the deal? More tatoo's on the way for these guys??
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

PS I didn;t even go back 1 page in this thread- just remember her a) predicting a big hurt comin for the ibanks and b) running away from one I think? If she didn;t refer to her dude as nerdlove I'd think she was meredith whitney, lol.

No offense bean- mad respek for the quanty types in a huDge way. Seriously- you are obviously very very bright.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Just look at the year to date returns on the IRAs you have available and pick the one that has the biggest loses to date. Chances are, the fund will have a greater rebound (compared to the others) and you'll get a higher return. Been doing that all this year and I'll let you know how it works!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I've got 28 and a half years before I can get the money out of this batch.
    28 years? Depending on what your options are, Id do something like 75% equity funds, 25% fixed income...mix it up too if you have multiple options, a little high yield, a lot of high credit, and some govt bonds. For equity, 10% emerging mkts, 20% international, 10% small cap, 10% mid cap, 30% large cap. Something like that.

What type of platform/options do you have? And whats your mix already?
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    28 years? Depending on what your options are, Id do something like 75% equity funds, 25% fixed income...mix it up too if you have multiple options, a little high yield, a lot of high credit, and some govt bonds. For equity, 10% emerging mkts, 20% international, 10% small cap, 10% mid cap, 30% large cap. Something like that.

What type of platform/options do you have? And whats your mix already?
    The above sounds perplexing. I know what the items you mention are, but I do not have any idea how you came up with that mix and/or how I'm supposed to place such an order with my USAA account. Of all the knowledge kicking around in my head (ski widths, how to steal a car, MLB MVP in 1992, mom's birthday), I really feel like an ignorant sucka when it comes to how I'm supposed to use money to make money in the investment world.

My current mix is 20% very aggressive, 30% not at all aggressive, and 50% in between - if I remember correctly. That's how I shopped for it at least. Jong away!

Its ok, I was basing it on what my 401k and IRA platforms at my current and former employers- yours may be totally different.

2 things to keep in mind...you have 30 years until its coming out- thats your time horizon, and its a fairly long time. Also, you need to be able to sleep at night with your retirement money. Realize it can fluctuate- the last year is an extreme example- but over 30 years, you will gain on your investment. The exact amount varies by the market and by how aggressive you are. More aggressive, generally more gains but greater volatility. Not something you want if youre retiring in a year. But if youre comfortable with a little more aggression...throw the 3000 in the most aggressive. It wont change your overall allocation in a huge way, but if I were you I could stand a more aggressive balance for now- with 30 years to go before seeing anything.

What are your options for the $3000? Any ETF, index fund, mutual fund, allocation portfolios chosen by employer?
    Decisions Decisions

Market held the breakout and didn't even test it. DAX is up 6% today. A move to 8500 and SP 900-950 is possible/likely. If we bust through there 1050 SP.

Tough call. Your chasing it now. I put some money to work a few weeks ago and have a lot more to place but I'm standing aside or waiting for a short hedge at higher levels.

You may get an entry point tomorrow on employment news.

Check your 401(k) options, look for anything managed by PIMCO, and buy it.

Bill Gross and friends are going to gobble up all up the taxpayer funded acronyms and play Uncle Sam for the sucker.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post

Bill Gross and friends are going to gobble up all up the taxpayer funded acronyms and play Uncle Sam for the sucker.
    I heard him interviewed after the new "sucker taxpayer buying up utter crap" plan last week, and he sounded like he couldn't contain his glee at the prospects. Nice deal for him.

Any of his funds you would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post

This is the correct answer -- except "Uncle Sam" = you and I and every other American taxpayer. $11 TRILLION and counting. Our grandchildren will still be paying for all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Any of his funds you would recommend?
    Just take the total return fund and let him go to work
    Decisions Decisions

PPT to the rescue!!!!

I love these cooked employment numbers. In a couple weeks the retards at Labor will quietly revise them lower another 150K and nobody will notice. Whatver it takes to keep the rally going I guess.
    Last edited by ass-to-mouth; 04-03-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ass-to-mouth View Post
    I love these cooked employment numbers
    "Birth-death model", anyone? It's funny how each report includes a substantial downward revision of the last report. This lets them simultaneously pretend things aren't as bad as they are, and aren't getting worse as fast as they are.

I think the rally is about done. All they wanted was to cook the end-of-quarter numbers so people's 401K statements looked better. Now it's time for Q1 business numbers and there's no way to spin all of those: the government can cook their numbers, the banks own the government and have forced it to let them cook their numbers, but the rest of the economy can't do it all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    "I think the rally is about done. All they wanted was to cook the end-of-quarter numbers so people's 401K statements looked better. Now it's time for Q1 business numbers and there's no way to spin all of those: the government can cook their numbers, the banks own the government and have forced it to let them cook their numbers, but the rest of the economy can't do it all at once.
    Strong close today and up more after hours. Market is not giving people a chance to get in and skepticism is high. Those are ingredients for a continued rally. I'm not willing to chase it either so it will probobly go higher.

I looked at the funds in my 401k and as of 2/28 most were sitting on very high cash levels.

Unemployment rate @ 26 year high and the market still rallied.

The PPT really earned their money today. Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ass-to-mouth View Post
    Unemployment rate @ 26 year high and the market still rallied.

The PPT really earned their money today. Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!
    If you are looking at todays headlines vs. todays market you are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post

I think the rally is about done. All they wanted was to cook the end-of-quarter numbers so people's 401K statements looked better. Now it's time for Q1 business numbers and there's no way to spin all of those: the government can cook their numbers, the banks own the government and have forced it to let them cook their numbers, but the rest of the economy can't do it all at once.
    Such a negative nellie. Cramer just told me that it's time to BUY BUY BUY, because everybody out there is just soooooo downer like, like, booyah, and, the latest movements are just like some sorta thing in '02, which means you should BUY BUY BUY. He's really into college sports, too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...r-1666319.html

Cramer vs Roubini: Another war of words for CNBC star
    By Stephen Foley in New York
    Thursday, 9 April 2009
    Jim Cramer, the ranting, raving share tipster from US television, is in the middle of another high-profile feud, just weeks after being worsted by the satirist Jon Stewart.

Now, the Mad Money host is waging a war of words with Nouriel Roubini, the bearish New York University economist known as Dr Doom.

Between any other commentators, it would be a mundane to-and-fro over whether the stock market and the US economy is over the worst, but the two men have characteristically escalated the rhetoric.

Mr Roubini is too "intoxicated" with his own "prescience and vision" to admit that things have been improving since the market bottomed in early March, Mr Cramer wrote in a recent blog.

But "Cramer is a buffoon", the professor countered, on the sidelines of a conference in Canada on Tuesday night. "He was one of those who called six times in a row for this bear market rally to be a bull market rally and he got it wrong. After all this mess, and after Jon Stewart, he should just shut up because he has no shame."

The latest rally will fail when it becomes clear the economy is not improving and that several banks will be unable to pass the "stress tests" currently being carried out by the federal government, Mr Roubini says.

"Cramer keeps insulting me personally and saying a bunch of lies," he told an Associated Press reporter. "He is not a credible analyst."

Mr Cramer rang the opening bell of the New York Stock Exchange yesterday to celebrate the 1,000th edition of his share-tipping show, Mad Money, on CNBC, which was broadcast last night. The former hedge-fund manager has carved out a high-profile new career as a commentator, and is famed as much for the clownish delivery and sound effects he uses on the show as he is for his investment prowess. He was, however, one of the first to demand that the Federal Reserve take action to tackle the chaos in the credit markets in 2007.

Mr Roubini, meanwhile, has been feted for predicting that the credit crisis will lead to widespread bank collapses and the worst recession in decades. He was appearing with other doomy commentators on a Canadian discussion panel under the title "A Night With The Bears".

On the New York Stock Exchange floor yesterday, Mr Cramer said that he regarded being attacked by Mr Roubini as "a great badge of honour", and added: "All my attackers, I always welcome them on Mad Money."

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart repeatedly attacked CNBC, and Mad Money in particular, for hyping Wall Street and failing to expose the looming credit crisis, eventually prompting Mr Cramer to go on the show for an uncomfortable interview that was widely rebroadcast on the internet. During the interview, Mr Cramer defended his integrity, but said he wished he had seen the scale of the crisis to come and that he wished corporate chief executives had not lied to him.

There's still room to run, S/P to ~900, Dow ~8400 before we head south again. a few "bullish" (less worse) earnings could see an overshoot. Reflation is starting to creep into the picture.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudpeak View Post
    I can confidently answer the OP's question with a big YES.
    Ah... really. Remind me not to listen to your stock predictions, Ms. Cramer.