Page 322 of 510 FirstFirst ... 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 ... LastLast
Results 8,026 to 8,050 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    We have a trailer and the best part is leaving it setup at camp and being to drive away for the day. Towing does limit where you can do and it is a big thing to store.
    This is IMHO one of the biggest pros / cons to trailer vs truck camper.

And since this is the ski RV thread, I'll mention again that towing in snow really sucks. And then there's the whole issue of heat and keeping water lines from freezing, including gray and black tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Honestly, looks like the best bang for my buck with the best resale value is to go full bro and just get an XL GFC. Earliest available build spot I am seeing is August if I buy a spot from someone on the GFC forums.

I just can't justify almost $5k for a Sunlite from the 80s......even thought someone else will probably buy it.

If I didn't ski/live somewhere that it snows a ton I would have bought a 2wd sprinter van 10 years ago. I love my truck, but the milage is um.....not good.
    i'd say pull the trigger on the GFC. i want one so bad but i can't justify used truck prices right now.

How do you feel about minivans with a removable camping setup? I don't think i recall you mentioning this in your list of options but it's a great way to go especially if it's a DD.

Name:  IMG_3127 (1).jpg
Views: 948
Size:  140.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3686.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  97.1 KB
    Made some slight mods to the bench/bed/storage. I got a little too cute with my drawer size to opening ratio and the 90* support bolt heads were rubbing the drawers. got a couple T and 90* brackets to bolt on the outside of the frame for more clearance. Also added a 2nd bolt to each of the slats on the extension portion of the bench so they wouldnt twist. found an air mattress for a truck bed that fits my bed perfectly as opposed to using 2 seperate sleeping pads. much more comfortable for the wife and didn't bring us as close to the ceiling as i'd feared.
    Name:  IMG_3596.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  86.5 KB
    Prep table that doubles as the rear bench leveler in use cooking out during a glorious sunset in Yellowstone. Real happy with this project and setup. No real fatal flaws in the design, just a couple annoyances, and best of all...no rattling or squeaking from anything i built going down the road. Just got back from a 3500 mile trip bouncing from the Badlands, Black Hills, Beartooth, Yellowstone, and Bighorn.

So why shouldn't I buy a 25' early to mid 1990s camper trailer? Besides the obvious stuff like towing kinda sucks, milage (my truck already sucks gas, but is strong so towing shouldn't make it way worse), they all seem to leak etc?

There actually are some in the 5-6k range vs 15-20k for a nice FWC etc.
    Why does a single dude need a 25' travel trailer? What about a cheap pop-up? Not as bad on the mileage since it sits lower when towing. Short enough to maneuver, and just seem to handle rough roads and beatings a little better. A-frame's are more expensive, but better in the heat/cold and easier to setup. As long as the thing isn't growing mold or rotting out, some past leaking isn't a big deal. Current leaking needs to be addressed, but that's typically pretty straightforward. Beat on that thing for a few years, and if it falls apart, transfer all the equipment (fridge, heater, stove) to the bro-camper you've been saving up for.

That, or get a used ProMaster and a set of snows. Toss a bed in it, and start using it. You'll figure out pretty quickly what you do and don't need, and how you want it configured.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    The GFC makes sense because I already have a killer truck for it. It will also free up the bed again so I don't have to take the sleeping platform etc out every time I need to haul some plywood or sheetrock. I am still slightly concerned about sleeping in a GFC on winter nights at a ski area. Reality is I would probably do that 5-10 times a year max. Will have to explore the GFC thread some more. I imagine with how popular GFC are that I could easily unload and sell for what I paid if I got desperate for loot.

If I was starting from scratch a converted van would make the most sense probably so so many reasons.

I've done a decent amount of cold camping in the GFC, down to the high teens. Plenty comfy with a Mr. Buddy and a big tank. Biggest problem is the heavy condensation.

I love my slide in pop up (All Terrain Camper) for ability to day trip, although I lugging around a family and the camper stays on the truck full time. I also live in a city and have no place to park a trailer. The GFC should be fine for winter camping if you get a good winter sleeping bag, a Mr. Buddy heater, or figure a way to install a gas heater that exhausts the bad fumes outside (the best option for heat).

The day trip or quick one nighter is another knock against the trailer. I'm never going to lug my 23' trailer somewhere to set up for the day, but I'd love to have a van or truck camper for big day trips when we are bringing the dogs. The wife typically doesn't mind taking a nap or hanging at the rig for a while if I do a longer ride or something after a shorter one with her.

The GFC makes sense because I already have a killer truck for it. It will also free up the bed again so I don't have to take the sleeping platform etc out every time I need to haul some plywood or sheetrock. I am still slightly concerned about sleeping in a GFC on winter nights at a ski area. Reality is I would probably do that 5-10 times a year max. Will have to explore the GFC thread some more. I imagine with how popular GFC are that I could easily unload and sell for what I paid if I got desperate for loot.

If I was starting from scratch a converted van would make the most sense probably so so many reasons.
    https://forum.gofastcampers.com/t/he...the-camper/496

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Hmmm. I am single....for now......maybe get a dog soon. No place to park a trailer anyway so I would be paying to store it about 20 mins from here.

I do quite a bit of last minute jump in the truck and go trips since my schedule changes by the hour some days. Lots of reasons to go GFC.

That's definitely the beauty of the GFC. The bed can be full of crap, and you can still grab a bag and just go. Little more involved in winter, but it's not that big a deal to have a bin or two of critical stuff in the bed or on standby.

It's also nice to still have a truck bed that you can fill with crap.

One of the things I like most about the trailer is the spontaneous trip.

I get it set up in the spring- bedding, camping gear etc. . If we decide to go we just throw some clothes in, bikes on, stop at the local safeway/liquor store and we are out of town in under an hour- two kids and a dog hopefully in tow.

It takes all of 15 min to set up camp where ever we end up.

Anyone got AC beta for vans? Our transit we bought built out, no AC in the living space. We've got a pup so we want to keep it cool in there. It's got a maxxfan, vented windows on DS Rear, and door, and blackout/insulation on all windows. Thinking of just bucking up and buying the $1000 zero breeze for the cab, anyone else have any solid tips? We don't really want to do evaporative, however we're in Utah so its probably fine with how dry it is.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Honestly, looks like the best bang for my buck with the best resale value is to go full bro and just get an XL GFC. Earliest available build spot I am seeing is August if I buy a spot from someone on the GFC forums.

I just can't justify almost $5k for a Sunlite from the 80s......even thought someone else will probably buy it.

If I didn't ski/live somewhere that it snows a ton I would have bought a 2wd sprinter van 10 years ago. I love my truck, but the milage is um.....not good.
    <RANT>

Please don't buy a GFC. 2 of the owners are total douchebags. Long story is that a previous company they owned Aeocontinental was building a custom camper for their Unimog. They signed a contract that they did not live up to. There was a timeline that was not met and progress was not getting made so they walked away after handing over $50K or so. They never got any of this back, and did not get the camper.

About a year later, Graham and Eric sued them saying that they have an unlimited legal budget to spend on bankrupting them. True to their intentions the legal fees to defend and counter-sue cost them about $330K so far. It went to trial and they are awaiting a verdict (judge trial) which can take months, but at the end of the trial they stated that no matter what the verdict is they will continue suing them just to cost them more $$$.

This is bullshit and nobody should give those guys any business. </RANT>
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

*starts popping popcorn*

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    <RANT>

Please don't buy a GFC. 2 of the owners are total douchebags. Long story is that a previous company they owned Aeocontinental was building a custom camper for their Unimog. They signed a contract that they did not live up to. There was a timeline that was not met and progress was not getting made so they walked away after handing over $50K or so. They never got any of this back, and did not get the camper.

About a year later, Graham and Eric sued them saying that they have an unlimited legal budget to spend on bankrupting them. True to their intentions the legal fees to defend and counter-sue cost them about $330K so far. It went to trial and they are awaiting a verdict (judge trial) which can take months, but at the end of the trial they stated that no matter what the verdict is they will continue suing them just to cost them more $$$.

This is bullshit and nobody should give those guys any business. </RANT>
    Link to the filed lawsuit? Let's see something to verify any of this.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    *starts popping popcorn*
    melting the butter right now. anyone enjoy a little seasoning on theirs besides salt?

Isn't Graham a mag and founder of GFC? I'm confused. So are two of the owners the bad guys? Are Graham and Eric the bad guys? Who are the owners? Who are the good guys? How many owners and how many bad guys are we dealing with here? I'm trying to gage my outrage and length of boycott for something I wasn't in the market for anyway. Summer is just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Anyone got AC beta for vans? Our transit we bought built out, no AC in the living space. We've got a pup so we want to keep it cool in there. It's got a maxxfan, vented windows on DS Rear, and door, and blackout/insulation on all windows. Thinking of just bucking up and buying the $1000 zero breeze for the cab, anyone else have any solid tips? We don't really want to do evaporative, however we're in Utah so its probably fine with how dry it is.
    We have a Starcool which works really well and cools things off nicely but it does have to be plugged into shore power or it will toast the house batteries. We have a pretty big bank too.

Still waiting for that link to the actual court case...

In the meantime, googled "aerocontinental unimog" and found these:
    https://www.benzworld.org/threads/u1...build.2881617/

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...u1300l.189414/

From that ExPo thread, it would appear that "LeeWhay" and "Ryan" are the ones with some issue with Aerocontinental. Googling those names yields:
    http://www.overlandwithus.com/expedi...point-in-time/

Pass me the popcorn!

And apparently LeeWhay and Ryan are selling a Sprinter now:
    https://expeditionportal.com/expedit...verland-build/

"About us:"
    http://www.overlandwithus.com/about/

I was unaware that overland consulting is a thing.

http://overlandingconsultants.com/about/

Gives me hope that my life long dream of being a Car Camping Coach may come true after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    We have a Starcool which works really well and cools things off nicely but it does have to be plugged into shore power or it will toast the house batteries. We have a pretty big bank too.
    Thanks. With the dry conditions here I'm thinking we could get away with evaporative, although prior builder did not finish some/most of the wood inside, so the moisture thing concerns me.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Link to the filed lawsuit? Let's see something to verify any of this.
    Montana District Courts don't have that kind of online info available publicly.

Once the decision comes out there will be more info available in another format and I'll update this, but for now this is all I can say.

Call them up and ask them about it -- I'm sure they will talk your ear off with their side of the story.

Give your business to someone like Jay at OVRLND.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

I came really close to getting an OVRLND, but couldn’t pass up the GFC preorder price. Jay is a solid guy, super helpful and willing to build just about anything.

I’d say that anyone in the market for a wedge camper should be looking into all the manufacturers. Or, if you’re not in a hurry, wait 5-10 years for the glut of wedge campers to hit the used market.

Is there a forum for the OVRLND campers.....anyone know how far out they are on builds?

Would really like to hear more about the supposed LeeWhey and Ryan lawsuit.....it's literally the only potentially negative thing I have heard about GFC.

Would much rather support a local Maggot business if possible.