Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Yeah, I wasn’t talking about while it was actually still wet, but 24-48 hours afterwards when it is bomber.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

If a bunch of that trail runs through bentonite layers, I'd expect the tread to set up and be bomber after a winter and some use.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    And grade reversals are rad when done correctly. The number 1 rule to trail building today is get the water off the tread.
    The "done correctly" part is the crux.

This for sure.

I watched the vid above and it looks pretty darn sweet to me.

I'm guessing a bunch of posters here haven't done very much trail building. Trails generally aren't 100% out of the gate, especially projects of this magnitude. As far as the sandy bits that's to be expected with new tread constructed in the arid south western desert areas, especially during what is now being called mega drought conditions. Maybe give it some time to set in and have the problem sections worked out before smack talking it for a while. I've been watching the build on IG and I know that there was a dedicated bunch that put there hearts and souls into this project.

That's my 2 cents as a professional trail builder but it doesn't matter, we learn to grow thick skin and tune out the crickets anyways. Everyone has their opinions but often the loudest critics have very little to zero experience working on trail projects and with project partners/land mangers etc.

And grade reversals are rad when done correctly. The number 1 rule to trail building today is get the water off the tread. With a trail this long and having such remote sections you don't want to construct a trail that's going to need a ton of maintenance.

Well, carry on TGR.
    Having ridden with you (albeit quite a while ago), I'm interested to see what you think of the trail when you eventually ride it.... both from the perspective of a kick-ass rider, and a trail builder.

Like I said in my original post, I hated being critical to begin with since I know there's a ton of effort, money, love and labor put into a project like this. But this trail just didn't do it for me, no sugar coating it.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Having ridden with you (albeit quite a while ago), I'm interested to see what you think of the trail when you eventually ride it.... both from the perspective of a kick-ass rider, and a trail builder.

Like I said in my original post, I hated being critical to begin with since I know there's a ton of effort, money, love and labor put into a project like this. But this trail just didn't do it for me, no sugar coating it.

Hey thanks Steve, I respect your opinion but I know how riders often react to new trails and ones that aren't totally ready yet and I mean this in the nicest way possible but, I hope you're wrong!

You're going to have to check out the system we are currently working on once phase 2 is completed. It's a very bike specific system where mostly everything is directional. Phase 2 starts next spring and most of it or all of it should be done by fall of 2022. It's not far from Brian head and Cedar City so there's a lot of progressive bike stuff around including the BH park and shuttle trails. I like the area WAY more than Moab to be honest. Heck, Blowhard shuttle laps alone are worthy of a visit.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

After watching that whole video I can safely say that at this point in my life, that trail is not for me.

I hope people enjoy it, don't get over their head, and keep the wrecks to a minimum.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I couldn’t drag myself to watch all the video.

First WTF up with that guys visor?
    And then he announces “so far good flow” right after dood rides completely off the trail for the third time…..

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I couldn’t drag myself to watch all the video.

First WTF up with that guys visor?
    And then he announces “so far good flow” right after dood rides completely off the trail for the third time…..
    I skipped all around. Best part was "oh, a trail feature!"

Yeah that video didn't really inspire an, "I've got to go do that trail now!" feeling in me. The last few sections, through the wash, close to town looked fun but I'm assuming that's already prebuilt trail?

Seems like minimal features, steep awkward switchbacking, and super loose. Not exactly inspiring riding when there is so much other amazing stuff nearby.

I was making plans with some buddies to go ride it this year but I think we'll pass and go elsewhere after sharing that video with them. I'm sure after a few seasons of being ridden and worked on it will get better, but it's a shame the hype died so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Yeah that video didn't really inspire an, "I've got to go do that trail now!" feeling in me. The last few sections, through the wash, close to town looked fun but I'm assuming that's already prebuilt trail?

Seems like minimal features, steep awkward switchbacking, and super loose. Not exactly inspiring riding when there is so much other amazing stuff nearby.

I was making plans with some buddies to go ride it this year but I think we'll pass and go elsewhere after sharing that video with them. I'm sure after a few seasons of being ridden and worked on it will get better, but it's a shame the hype died so quickly.
    Another new GJ trail - Windmill - looks like more fun than the Plunge. Maybe it will get better over the years. For now, I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Another new GJ trail - Windmill - looks like more fun than the Plunge. Maybe it will get better over the years. For now, I'll pass.
    Windmill is higher on my list than plunge as well... once I'm done with recovery. Nate's follow cam Friday with Noah on Windmill, compared to any of the vids I've seen re: the Plunge... big difference.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Windmill is higher on my list than plunge as well... once I'm done with recovery. Nate's follow cam Friday with Noah on Windmill, compared to any of the vids I've seen re: the Plunge... big difference.
    Couple of my good riding buddies have done Windmill and loved it. The only downside is the climb out from the river back to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yeah, looks looose.

Watched the whole thing. That actually looks more fun than I was expecting. Might not show all the grade reversals with climbs smmokan mentioned of course. But I love trails with views and exposure like that. I don't mind some climbs interspersed with descending, gives your hands a break. Ideally grade reversals would let you bleed off speed without having to drag brakes hard the whole way down. But in terrain like this sometimes you don't have a lot of choice where you route the trail. Looks like a pretty impressive layout. Hopefully I can ride it before its completely blown out. I can definitely see a lot of riders having difficulty with the loose conditions and exposure. Will be interesting to see how things go hype and traffic wise.

This section is being built now. Top section is done and riding great. So close to done!

Btw 5 dudes. All who have ridden internationaly. Zero complaints. All scared by the exposure. We had perfect weather and dirt today.

I skipped through the video but it looks good to me. If it’s serious exposure and technical on top of that, for miles, no thanks though. My Death Boner days are in the past. Otherwise it looks super unique with great views and any trail is worth riding once.

This for sure.

I watched the vid above and it looks pretty darn sweet to me.

I'm guessing a bunch of posters here haven't done very much trail building. Trails generally aren't 100% out of the gate, especially projects of this magnitude. As far as the sandy bits that's to be expected with new tread constructed in the arid south western desert areas, especially during what is now being called mega drought conditions. Maybe give it some time to set in and have the problem sections worked out before smack talking it for a while. I've been watching the build on IG and I know that there was a dedicated bunch that put there hearts and souls into this project.

That's my 2 cents as a professional trail builder but it doesn't matter, we learn to grow thick skin and tune out the crickets anyways. Everyone has their opinions but often the loudest critics have very little to zero experience working on trail projects and with project partners/land mangers etc.

And grade reversals are rad when done correctly. The number 1 rule to trail building today is get the water off the tread. With a trail this long and having such remote sections you don't want to construct a trail that's going to need a ton of maintenance.

Well, carry on TGR.
    My thoughts too. I'm biased as Mazu at Singletracks Trails is a friend but they know how to build. I see lots of interesting features, lots of turns, lots of potential. Traction will require speed management of course. I remain interested in riding it

Well, I rode the whole thing today, the exposure didn't freak me out too much, but holy shit that was a lot of pedaling. The grade reversals on the lower part are a bit much, like we are descending a fucking cliff face why are we climbing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4746.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	380486

Name:	IMG_4754.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	370.6 KB 
ID:	380485

Name:	IMG_4751.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	380487

Name:	IMG_4761.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	291.5 KB 
ID:	380488

Would you go back?

I heard thru the grapevine that the FS is closing the entire trail for the season on Sept 30th. If that’s true, WTF??

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Would you go back?
    Maybe. It would need to be considerably cooler temps, and I'd probably wait a winter for the middle section to burn in, its super loose now and kills the little bit of flow that it does have.

Also, the earliest commercial I could find left Palisade at 7:30, had us pedaling about 9. I'd prefer a significantly earlier start due to the total lack of shade down low.

?? seems strange. I doubt its wildlife related, but maybe they just dont want to deal with people getting vehicles or themselves into bad spots with weather?
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    ?? seems strange. I doubt its wildlife related, but maybe they just dont want to deal with people getting vehicles or themselves into bad spots with weather?
    Makes zero sense whatsoever. They're essentially forcing people to ride it during the hottest months of the year.

Pretty sure the wildlife closures we have don’t start until 12/15

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Most wildlife closures I know of start 12/1 or 12/15 in Western CO.

Maybe they don't want all the dezert szn (tm) tourons getting in over there heads this fall.