Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do I dare build a bike?

I have a stand. A few tools. I have some sense of what I want.

Hardtail - swap a rigid carbon and a 120mm fork back and forth for commuting vs single track.

My old (old af) bike was a specialized stumpy hardtail from 2001. I still like that bike, but I want 29” wheels and modern build compliance.

I hate drop bars. Gotta be flat.
    Don’t want a gravel bike.
    I want a slack-ish hardtail w/ a 1x setup. 175mm crank. Looking for a light commuter that hauls and can convert to a light XC bike that hauls.

Not too many rigid hardtails out there for sale that aren’t single speeds.

Once I find the frame I want, Pink bike for used components?

Anyone want to talk me out of a charbon OEM Santa Cruz highball from diycarbon?

I welcome all opinions (biased af or Otherwise) about any part of this project. Shill me the right components etc for any part of this project.

I like the bianchi sea foam green/cyan blue color a lot.

I do a great template hand ski mount.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I recently built a chromag stylus from the frame up with limited bike tools, a stand and some left over parts. It certainly had it’s frustrating moments with setting the crown race as the most annoying and frustrating as well as cutting the fork stem. I enjoyed doing it but I’m happy it wasn’t my only bike because it took me a lot longer to build and piece together then I had originally planned.

In my area the used bike market has exploded ( same with parts) so that might be hit or miss which can be frustrating if you want to build on a budget or have specific parts in mind.

Overall I enjoyed it, happy I did it, can say I bully it from the frame and will probably never sell it and will curse myself when it breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Hardtail - swap a rigid carbon and a 120mm fork back and forth for commuting vs single track.
    Assuming you want to commute weekdays and ride single track on the weekend, swapping forks twice a week is going to get tiresome really fast. Why not just set up your old bike for commuting and make the new one a dedicated mtb?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Assuming you want to commute weekdays and ride single track on the weekend, swapping forks twice a week is going to get tiresome really fast. Why not just set up your old bike for commuting and make the new one a dedicated mtb?
    This. Although whether the old bike can truly be a decent commuter option kind of depends how far you're commuting. Old 26"mtb can do the job but an old cheap 700c bike is going to be way faster and more efficient if you're covering any decent distance.

That said yes, build the bike yourself - fun project imho if you can sort thru all the part compatibility issues.

building a bike is fun, interesting, satisfying.

its is NOT cost effective if your time has any value.

Anyone want to talk me out of a charbon OEM Santa Cruz highball from diycarbon?
    Tell me more. What size? Do you have geometry chart?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

It's not really cost effective even if your time doesn't have value.

Unless you are extremely particular about the parts on the bike, it's almost always cheaper to buy something complete.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Tell me more. What size? Do you have geometry chart?

19” - same size as my stumpy

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1556671945

For some reason couldn’t get it imbed

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    This could be done with a rigid fork. Hard to find a 26” fork with with right axle to crown that isn’t disc only, but there are a couple on eBay.

The sid fork is just toast. Found a shop to service it, they went deep into the bag of tricks to get the lockout to work and that lasted about 20 miles of commuting.

Then the old 3x9 gearing system is just dumb af, so I would want more than need a beater 1x group set.

Have you considered the a la carte-program from Commmencal?

Let's you order a frame and the components you want. That way you can buy some components new, and pick up some loacally

For a commuter, just take off the front derailleur, left shifter, and little and big rings. That’ll leave you with a 36x12-36 or thereabouts which should be plenty unless you have massive hills on your commute. Shorten the chain and swap the middle ring for a narrow-wide if you still get chain drops (you could also bump up to a larger chainring if you replace it).

19” - same size as my stumpy

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1556671945

For some reason couldn’t get it imbed
    Hmmm... Rear spacing?

69.5* head tube angle...
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Hmmm... Rear spacing?

Do you mean boost or non boost? I was thinking boost. Only options on it are 12-142 or 12-148.

Is that what you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    For a commuter, just take off the front derailleur, left shifter, and little and big rings. That’ll leave you with a 36x12-36 or thereabouts which should be plenty unless you have massive hills on your commute. Shorten the chain and swap the middle ring for a narrow-wide if you still get chain drops (you could also bump up to a larger chainring if you replace it).
    I like this idea-

It could cost $0

Or...

A single 38 or 40t chain ring is usually gettable for cheap.

If I were so inclined, a new cassette doesn’t have to cost much.

Nor does a new chain.

So...$100 or less for all 3? Plus the fork?

That’s probably my test venue. If this small bit of work is undoable or more PITA than I want to face, , then I probably shouldn’t build a bike. If I love it, then perhaps I should.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Have you considered the a la carte-program from Commmencal?

Let's you order a frame and the components you want. That way you can buy some components new, and pick up some loacally
    Will check this out today. Thank you.

I'd give it a go. I'm in the process of building a gravel bike and have built a mountain bike in the past. To help ease the pain ($$), I look for sales, and buy virtually nothing at MSRP. You'll end up with more tools too.

Will check this out today. Thank you.
    To be clear, I have no personal experience with this. Neither Commencal, nor building a bike.

But I'm considering trying to build one myself, and Commencal looks pretty good. And hey, this is the internet, so everybody is an expert

They are all trail/enduro. Maybe one day, but for a hardtail that hauls, I’m not looking for 160mm travel on the front. For components only, they are a little better than the local shops near me, but I bet I can find better deals online.

It’s called, Celeste green. And it’s romantic as fuck.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Do you mean boost or non boost? I was thinking boost. Only options on it are 12-142 or 12-148.

Is that what you meant?
    Yes. Sorry, I think I read your post wrong. Are you asking for somebody to "talk you out of" BUYING the bike linked or somebody to buy it from you? I took out as the latter.

I'm looking for a gravel bike and interpreted your post to say you were trying to get rid of that frame and thought it might work as a gravel bike...

I agree with Eluder. That's a fairly steep Head Angle. Is look for something a bit more slack. I bought a trek Stache on a whim this year and have been really surprised with how capable and fun it is. I have been recommending them to my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

this ^^, not counting time its also usually cheaper to buy a bike ready made than to buy all the parts individualy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I like building bikes from the frame up, no it not really cost-effective, but I think its fun. I try and do it fall to spring so I have time to hunt for parts deals and plenty of time to get it finished before I want to ride. The winter-spring sales are the best prices. I've done some pretty low-cost builds but you have to compromise somewhere breaks, shifters, wheels.
    Problem now is there are so many options, finding compatible parts is a pain.

Building a bike up yourself is almost BETTER than mounting your own skis. Getting the shifting dialed and brakes bled is a little bit of black magic. Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    I did this with my wife’s old 26 inch Hardtail and actually went with a smaller narrow/wide ring (I think a 32 or 34), so she could do any of the climbs. She tends to coast the steep downhills anyway. Zero issues and the wife likes the simplicity.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda