Page 127 of 510 FirstFirst ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Why does everyone thing they need 4wd for these vans and campers? Seems like a good set of snowtires would get you anywhere those things are capable of going. Not like you are weeling into the backcountry, you are moslty on paved roads and maybe some smooth dirt roads.
    For summer use, I fully agree. Clearance and breakover will limit access far before 2WD becomes an issue. Also even if you deck it out, who wants to wheel in their fancy house on wheels?

Winter I'm not so sure. Some say no problem, some say death trap. I pursued the AWD van because I tow sleds, and getting stuck in the snow with trailers really sucks.

If the choice is everybody else buying more van than they need or getting stuck behind a RWD E350 while it spins its tires on the approach to Eisenhower, put me down for "everybody else buy more van than they need." Personally I think the AWD is worth it for the extra margin for error for what I use primarily as a winter vehicle. I can and have driven a RWD vehicle in snow/ice for many miles, and while I know it can be done, the added stress ain't worth it for me.

Why does everyone thing they need 4wd for these vans and campers? Seems like a good set of snowtires would get you anywhere those things are capable of going. Not like you are weeling into the backcountry, you are moslty on paved roads and maybe some smooth dirt roads.
    Probably true for most.
    In our case, where we live, two wheel drive wont cut it once the snow flies (Nov ~ May).

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    The used Tiger, Sprinter 4x4, Sports Mobile market becomes flooded!
    Think it could happen?
    Whatever the market will bear.
    Though I some how doubt that the market will be "flooded", certainly not by Provan rigs anyway, their production numbers are smaller and their customer profile doesn't really fit the #vanlife set IMO.

you don't need awd until you do and when you do on an icy hill it way beats stuck in a ditch... EVERY FUCKING TIME

and just because you have awd... SNOW TIRES DRIVE BETTER AND STOP BETTER
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by b0ardski View Post
    you don't need awd until you do and when you do on an icy hill it way beats stuck in a ditch... EVERY FUCKING TIME
    So are you on an icy hill, or stuck in a ditch?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

haven't been stuck in a ditch since I quit buying 2(actually only one) wheel drives 20 yrs ago
    embrace the gape
    and believe

and yes I live up a hill in snow country
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by b0ardski View Post
    and yes I live up a hill in snow country
    Your sig speaks volumes.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Though I some how doubt that the market will be "flooded", certainly not by Provan rigs anyway, their production numbers are smaller and their customer profile doesn't really fit the #vanlife set IMO.
    Same goes for Sportsmobiles. While larger production numbers than Provan there are not many out there so they will always command a premium, especially if it has all the goodies and is well maintained.

Sprinter 4x4 used prices will come down once supply meets demand. For now that isn't happening. I know folks fixing and flipping Sportsmobiles and Sprinter 4x4 and they are making decent money and learning how to make even more money on each one.

So dream all you want Eastern Sierra dude but until the housing market crashes (again) people are looking at living in a van full time more and more these days. It doesn't show any signs of stopping any time soon.

BTW I had a RWD Sportsmobile with winter tires. It sucked so I sold it and got a proper 4WD version. Worlds better.

always training
    embrace the gape
    and believe

FWIW pro masters are front wheel drive. I’d be good with that and snow tires any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever the market will bear.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIBERIAN.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	218143

Starting price of.......drum roll....$248,000. That quarter million price is for the basic package. Start adding extras and you will be North of $300k easily. But if thats what the market will bear, and people keep buying them, why would ProVan price them lower?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    So dream all you want Eastern Sierra dude
    Name:  dreams.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  117.9 KB

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Lol...
    From the comments:
    Indeed, it sounds like they are channeling Elon Musk. Give me your money, and wait for years till I make your vehicle. What a waste of money. You could buy yourself a wonderfully equipped RV (standalone or towed), a wonderfully equipped 4x4 truck to tow the RV, a wonderfully equipped 4x4 jeep or offroading vehicle, a nice luxury car, and still have money left over. And the best part is, you won't have to wait 2 years to get all that.

Again, what a waste. Now, the Action Mobil RV's look very cool, and very capable if you are looking to drop serious cash for something like this. But these Earthcrap ones just look like someone stuck a portable RV on top, and called it done. Nothing special. You could do the same yourself by buying a 4x4, and having a decent custom auto shop make it for you.
    But if thats what the market will bear, and people keep buying them, why would ProVan price them lower?
    You quote me above, however my original comment was directed to the used market, and your comment that suggested that it would be flooded with unwanted #vanlife camper van/RV's.
    So, not really sure what your point was here?

I think the Tiger is the way to go! I haven't been in one but I can't stand up in anyone's camper. Tigers look tall ��

Tiger looks cool but you could build something way sicker for half the price

I've seen ACH's and it looks pretty rad.
    I was in Idaho this summer and saw a 4x4 motorhome. It looked like a 1ton ford diesel on 35's with a motorhome built on it. I had to talk with the guy while assembling my Coleman tent. He's a Mt. Hood skier, and praised the ability to just camp and not get up early. The rig looked expensive so I'm assuming it was. Possibly a Bigfoot, but not sure.

It's nice that there are lots of winter RV/camper options. We use our truck as a (nearly) daily driver and hauling, so a slide-in is the practical option for us, and our lightweight FWC pop-up is all the luxury we need. The other benefit of a slide-in is that you can buy another truck if you have persistent lemony mechanical issues vs. being married to your engine/drivetrain with a dedicated RV. When both of us fully retire (a few years away) we'll likely get a bigger dedicated RV per plans to live in it 1/2 time or so.

Not that I disagree necessarily, however you might consider bovine's local.
    It get's pretty damn cold in that part of Colorado. Average Winter temps there are much colder than here in the PNW.
    Just saying.
    I hearya, although we've spent lots of sub-zeroF nights in the interior west in our FWC without firing the generator. Note that we usually prefer to not run the furnace at night, relying on -10F-rated high quality (FF) sleeping bags, then fire up furnace in the morning. Our coldest night was around -15F outside, got down to -8F in the cabin (Loup Loup). We were plenty comfy in our winter bags without running furnace. We've also spent sub-0F nights in N ID and MT. Also note that I'm always the one to get up first, turn on the furnace and make coffee while Honey is snug in the sleeping bag. When we did run the furnace at night we didn't like the on/off furnace cycle and resultant warm/cool/warm/cool/etc. cycle. We also think no furnace at night is more camping and less glamping.
    Last edited by OldSteve; 12-07-2017 at 12:31 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIBERIAN.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	218143

Starting price of.......drum roll....$248,000. That quarter million price is for the basic package. Start adding extras and you will be North of $300k easily. But if thats what the market will bear, and people keep buying them, why would ProVan price them lower?
    Where do people really think that they'll take something like that? You ain't rock crawling and if you get to a switchback you'll be pulling an Austin Powers turn until the cows come home. That thing is an extended-extended bed.

I just installed a "garage" t-stat in our Alaskan so that I can set the temp as low as 35°F. That should decrease the frequency and variability of the warm/cool cycle and allow us to make the most of our Kelty 32° queen size bag. I find that sleeping bags are the most comfortable slightly above their advertised rating. A -10° bag at 28°F would be a torture device for me. The Mrs usually augments any bag I'm comfortable in with an additional down quilt. She's pretty much always one layer above my comfort level.

Where do people really think that they'll take something like that?
    SIBERIA Duh #jokes

Where do people really think that they'll take something like that? You ain't rock crawling and if you get to a switchback you'll be pulling an Austin Powers turn until the cows come home. That thing is an extended-extended bed.
    a suzuki drops out of the back once you have base camp established

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    For summer use, I fully agree. Clearance and breakover will limit access far before 2WD becomes an issue. Also even if you deck it out, who wants to wheel in their fancy house on wheels?

Winter I'm not so sure. Some say no problem, some say death trap. I pursued the AWD van because I tow sleds, and getting stuck in the snow with trailers really sucks.

If the choice is everybody else buying more van than they need or getting stuck behind a RWD E350 while it spins its tires on the approach to Eisenhower, put me down for "everybody else buy more van than they need." Personally I think the AWD is worth it for the extra margin for error for what I use primarily as a winter vehicle. I can and have driven a RWD vehicle in snow/ice for many miles, and while I know it can be done, the added stress ain't worth it for me.
    $100 for chains and a rwd pickup is a tank for the few times a year it's needed. And the lack of dumbassedness to stop and put them on when needed.

Chaining up is stressful. I’ll stick with 4wd trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    A -10° bag at 28°F would be a torture device for me.
    Unzipping a -10F bag into quilt mode makes it a perfect 25F-40F quilt/comforter

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    $100 for chains and a rwd pickup is a tank for the few times a year it's needed. And the lack of dumbassedness to stop and put them on when needed.
    Hey, good on you (and everyone else here that has commented likewise) if that works and fits how you roll.
    Not having 4x4/AWD as a purchasing requirement drops your level of ($) commitment and opens up a range of possibilities.

Given the frequency that I would be chaining-up/un-chaining it's non starter.
    Also there have been plenty of road way conditions that have come up over the years where having 4x4 was a definite advantage and safety consideration, where chains would have been impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Unzipping a -10F bag into quilt mode makes it a perfect 25F-40F quilt/comforter
    We do this a lot.

Also, from your previous post.
    We roll pretty much the same, run the heater till bed time, then shut it down and crawl into the bags/comforters.
    It doesn't hurt that we have two bed-hog-dogs that are perfectly good heat generators.