Page 1455 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 ... LastLast
Results 36,351 to 36,375 of 46289
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I hear ya. And I know Horseshoe Bowl is another frequent recipient of "good" wind. And the Ridge at LL.
    And Spaulding Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    And Spaulding Bowl.
    what do ABasin, the ridge, and horseshoe and spaulding bowls have in common?

they're not at Eldora. FML.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

There's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    I work with Dani. It’s pronounced Donny.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I have one of those too.. WTF?

Shit that annoys you

“My name is Larry, it’s spelled: G-E-O-R-G-I”

My in-laws.

Hardest part for me these days working in a MS and HS is these kids changing their names and/or pronouns and then getting offended if someone didn't get the imaginary memo.

Last week you were He and now you're She, or They? Cool by me... just please tell me.

Last week you were Sara and now you're Tony? Cool by me... just please tell me.

If I don't know about the change, please don't get upset when I innocently use the wrong name and/or pronouns.

Online ordering at a coffee shop. If I'm next in line for a coffee it sucks to watch four different cappa-lattes be made for someone that strolls up past me.

If you can't beat em, join em.

Quote Originally Posted by skiskiskiskiski View Post
    If you can't beat em, join em.
    I can't predict my caffeine needs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Hardest part for me these days working in a MS and HS is these kids changing their names and/or pronouns and then getting offended if someone didn't get the imaginary memo.

Last week you were He and now you're She, or They? Cool by me... just please tell me.

If I don't know about the change, please don't get upset when I innocently use the wrong name and/or pronouns.
    It's like the 21st century needs nametags.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Online ordering at a coffee shop. If I'm next in line for a coffee it sucks to watch four different cappa-lattes be made for someone that strolls up past me.
    Dude, order ahead on the app out in the parking lot.

Went to my neighbors house for a drink. Walking home in the storm, discovered a lost semi that has slid off the road. Checked on them, they’re ok, waiting on a tow. Have no idea how they’re going to get out of here. They can’t drive forward to turn around, especially with the drifting snow. They’re a mile and a half from the intestate on a county road that ends where they slid off. No one here to plow snow. They’re completely blocking the road. It’s going to be a long night for them. They’re UPS. Someone’s Christmas is going to be disappointing. I really hope they are not still there in the morning. I had to tow the fedex ground delivery guy out earlier, he was in a van and got stuck.

The whole intersection of online or phone ordering and ordering when you show up is awkward and probably evolving. It's not just food. I run into it getting my tires switched, where I make an appt and skip ahead of walkins, and getting my blood drawn at Kaiser, where I didn't make an appt and had to wait longer. If I ran the word it would be first come first serve, period.

I'm annoyed when I'm waiting to be served and then someone calls in and the clerk takes care of them, even though I was first, and I'm there in person. I get it that it's hard for the clerk to queue the people who show up with people who call and be completely fair. But it still rankles.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The whole intersection of online or phone ordering and ordering when you show up is awkward and probably evolving. It's not just food. I run into it getting my tires switched, where I make an appt and skip ahead of walkins, and getting my blood drawn at Kaiser, where I didn't make an appt and had to wait longer. If I ran the word it would be first come first serve, period.

I'm annoyed when I'm waiting to be served and then someone calls in and the clerk takes care of them, even though I was first, and I'm there in person. I get it that it's hard for the clerk to queue the people who show up with people who call and be completely fair. But it still rankles.
    Exactly. Get off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

The staff In an organization I volunteer with always show their personal pronouns in their emails. So I started adding (Yo/dumbass) to mine. The volunteer coordinator asked me to stop. I said I was trying to break free of the tyranny of gender identification. She was not amused

In other matters, automated warnings piss me off. Fucking smoke alarm has sounded the low battery warning at around 0330 for the last three nights, despite putting in new batteries in September. And putting in a new battery didn’t help the last two last night. Maybe tonight…

Add to that low tire pressure warnings, which yesterday turned out to be caused by a defective tire pressure sensor. Most other times it’s because the temp drops into single digits.

I feel so much safer

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    The staff In an organization I volunteer with always show their personal pronouns in their emails. So I started adding (Yo/dumbass) to mine. The volunteer coordinator asked me to stop. I said I was trying to break free of the tyranny of gender identification. She was not amused
    Making fun of something that is meant to help people is a pretty dick move. You don’t have to understand it, or do it, but you also don’t need to mock it just cause you’re a crusty old white guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Making fun of something that is meant to help people is a pretty dick move. You don’t have to understand it, or do it, but you also don’t need to mock it just cause you’re a crusty old white guy.
    agreed.

It's become a pretty commonplace thing; many people in my agency have those now. And while I admit to not getting it completely, and to finding the pronouns challenging to use, and do not have it in my emails, I can't understand why you would mock people for doing it. Especially when the people it is designed to "protect" are people who have generally speaking had a really rough go of it. TBS, for a crusty old fuck you're generally a pretty thoughtful guy, but you really turned your brain off on this one.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I certainly see the importance of gender identity and properly acknowledging it, in private life. AFAIC the subject should be irrelevant in work life. All that should matter is how some one does their job. Of course women have been dealing with unprofessional shit at work forever and it's not going away. I realize that I'm being entirely unrealistic. But I'd rather not have to think about whether someone is gay, or cis, or bi, or trans, or just generally queer at work. And frankly, people who are not conventional heterosexual cis gender oriented have much bigger obstacles to deal with than pronouns.

I have yet to add mine to my email signature, but many colleagues do. Some follow it with this link, labeled "why pronouns?"

https://medium.com/gender-inclusivit...o-d3dc942c8743

I certainly see the importance of gender identity and properly acknowledging it, in private life. AFAIC the subject should be irrelevant in work life. All that should matter is how some one does their job. Of course women have been dealing with unprofessional shit at work forever and it's not going away. I realize that I'm being entirely unrealistic. But I'd rather not have to think about whether someone is gay, or cis, or bi, or trans, or just generally queer at work. And frankly, people who are not conventional heterosexual cis gender oriented have much bigger obstacles to deal with than pronouns.
    Its not about your comfort, its about the comfort of others. Gender identity is part of all life.
    Would you take the time to learn your coworkers names? Do you know if they are married? If they have children?

So a gay person should not share that they have a partner the same way a straight person would share they have a spouse because it makes you uncomfortable?

I mean, something simple like my wife got a new job or my wife is running a marathon or I'm getting married next month.

If a person is gay they can't share that part of their life? It gets pretty hard to share anything at all, then. No pictures ther desk? Perhaps it would make you more comfortable if they called their partner their "roommate"?

Would you like being referred to as she/her even though its wrong?

Your discomfort over it is your problem. Sit with it. Figure it out and deal with it, don't expect others to hide themselves to make you more comfortable.

And yeah. TBS email "joke" was terribly insensitive and rude. She should remove it immediately.

Shit that annoys you

It’s not irrelevant if you can’t talk about it freely. And if you can’t talk about it as freely as you can share a fun anecdote about your wife and the garbage disposal, why is that?

You should be able to put as much effort in to how somebody identifies as you do into whether they like football or skiing or whether they’re from Boston. And if you don’t or you don’t put effort into knowing any of those things, either, well you’re probably an asshole and not in any kind of good way.
    focus.

I wish we could invent words, using plural pronouns for a singular person always comes across as awkward. I would have an easier time if I just had to learn a new word or two, rather than use an existing word in a way that is grammatically incorrect. As someone who writes for a living, it is difficult for me. I do try, I want people to be comfortable, but it would be easier for me with a different word.

I wish we could invent words, using plural pronouns for a singular person always comes across as awkward. I would have an easier time if I just had to learn a new word or two, rather than use an existing word in a way that is grammatically incorrect. As someone who writes for a living, it is difficult for me. I do try, I want people to be comfortable, but it would be easier for me with a different word.
    Are you talking about they/them? They/them has always been used for singular people.

Did you see where that skier went? I think they went over the cliff.

If they don't come out of those trees, I'll go look for them.