Thread: Dog door recs?

Dog door recs?

I need to order a dog door ASAP. Exterior door, faces south, so it does get winter wind and strong summer sun. Endura Flap brand was recommended by a friend but wondering if they are worth 2 or 3x other brands? Only negative I can see (other than price) is that cats probably won't be able to use the size large Endura as the magnets are too strong. Is that true for other brands as well?

Required background info: are there varmints and/or unwanted visitors in the neighbor hood? Is your dog chipped?

You know where I'm headed here .......

Oh, and ...
    WRONG FORUM JONG.

Security Boss: https://www.securitybossmanufacturing.com

I've had Security Boss doors for 20 years (the 20-year-old one is still daily use), I highly recommend them. The MaxSeal Pro is the one we have and I've put in 2 more over the years in other places and they've also been flawless. https://www.securitybossmanufacturin...Door_Model.htm

When the flaps eventually get shitted up (they last a long time, but not forever), you can order replacement flaps and it's easy to put them in. The security panel is beefy and locks in place, very solid system.

Not sure but it seems like the soft panels of the SB would be easier for a cat to handle, they'd only have to push one corner open instead of a whole rigid panel. Hey it's a theory.

Just installed one by a company called Extreme seems pretty solid. magnets around both sides and in the bottom so the cat can't get out of it. They make a double flap so if you live in bad weather that may be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Security Boss: https://www.securitybossmanufacturing.com

I've had Security Boss doors for 20 years (the 20-year-old one is still daily use), I highly recommend them. The MaxSeal Pro is the one we have and I've put in 2 more over the years in other places and they've also been flawless. https://www.securitybossmanufacturin...Door_Model.htm

When the flaps eventually get shitted up (they last a long time, but not forever), you can order replacement flaps and it's easy to put them in. The security panel is beefy and locks in place, very solid system.

Not sure but it seems like the soft panels of the SB would be easier for a cat to handle, they'd only have to push one corner open instead of a whole rigid panel. Hey it's a theory.
    Nice, I'll look into these. I agree, it looks like it'd be easier for the cat to open.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Required background info: are there varmints and/or unwanted visitors in the neighbor hood? Is your dog chipped?

You know where I'm headed here .......

Oh, and ...
    WRONG FORUM JONG.
    Raccoons in the hood, and the occasional skunk. One dog is chipped and one is not. As far as people getting in, the door hasn't been locked in years, except occasionally at night.

Looking at Security Boss, Hale and Endura Flap now I guess.

we've been rolling the large size Pet safe door for a decade or so and I've just had to replace the flap once or twice when it gets warped from where their heads always butt it open. The replacements are ~$20
    Never had any other animals come in but it's also on a door that goes out to a fenced area
    Our old cat had no problem using the door but maybe not as strong magnets as the ones you're looking at. Here she is heading out (rip elsinore)

My neighbor just got the "extreme" pet safe door with double flaps to keep the cold out better and I'd probably go with that the next time around- seems like that one would be ok for cats too on my cursory glances at it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52F11E83-FCB9-4B01-A50B-36BFC804D3FE.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	348.6 KB 
ID:	302904
    skid luxury

What sort of door does the dog like?

A nice craftsman style with a 3 over 2 in mahogany.
    Name:  01f582d8-e47f-4b5a-a428-b09a32440474_400_compressed.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  8.6 KB

Is he more traditional? Then perhaps a 6 panel door with a nice knocker?
    Name:  DanielBrothersreddooir-5c311de6c9e77c00015d7f9a.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  125.5 KB

Is he suburban 2nd generation Italian with poor taste and a penchant for vinyl siding?

Name:  Red_Front_Door_with_Two_Sidelites.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  86.8 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Never used it, but chiming in to say we had an Invisible Fence for our dog, they sold a dog door that locked and unlocked bases on the same collar as used for the Invisible Fence. I thought that was a good idea (if it worked)

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What sort of door does the dog like?

A nice craftsman style with a 3 over 2 in mahogany.
    Name:  01f582d8-e47f-4b5a-a428-b09a32440474_400_compressed.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  8.6 KB

Is he suburban 2nd generation Italian with poor taste and a penchant for vinyl siding?

Name:  Red_Front_Door_with_Two_Sidelites.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  86.8 KB
    3.7/10
    skid luxury

We have this one, I think it's available at PetSmart in-store: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...hoCXOkQAvD_BwE

Magnets on it make it close by itself, and has two flaps for Utah winter. Only regret is placing it too low for the big dog with bad knees, he usually sticks his head-only in the door and then waits for us to open it. And it just has a plastic cover that anyone can kick out if you want to enter our house. It's pretty hard for a raccoon to open it though, and you can add velcro strips if you disagree. I woke up this summer to 5 raccoons in our backyard so I know they are out there....

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Raccoons in the hood, and the occasional skunk. One dog is chipped and one is not. As far as people getting in, the door hasn't been locked in years, except occasionally at night.

Looking at Security Boss, Hale and Endura Flap now I guess.
    I have a security boss, double flap, and has inside and outside sliders. Inside slider locks with a pin
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    3.7/10
    Ouch. Tough grading today.

Perhaps something like this,
    Name:  trailer-house-front-doors-door-decorating-ideas-for-bedroom.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  20.6 KB

cut out to fit a dump truck mudflap?
    Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  13.4 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

We were worried about varmints in Truckee so we put in a powered door that opens when a little transmitter the dog wears as a collar gets close. After letting the dog go swimming a few times with the transmitter on we gave up on the door--the transmitters were too expensive to keep replacing.
    We had a cat get in the dog door while we were out of town. It hid out in an upstairs bedroom. Then someone closed the bedroom door. Judging by the lost cat signs in the neighborhood it must have been locked in there for a few weeks. Did surprisingly little damage--shit and piss of course.

I always worried about a skunk coming in when I lived in WI. We had a stray cat come it once; we closed it after that.

Hence my suggestion for a chip triggered door. Does the trick for raccoons, possums and local cat freeloaders.

Ouch. Tough grading today.

Perhaps something like this,
    Name:  trailer-house-front-doors-door-decorating-ideas-for-bedroom.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  20.6 KB

cut out to fit a dump truck mudflap?
    Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  13.4 KB
    That trim must be custom.
    I still call it The Jake.