Anybody wear bracelayer tights?

https://usa.bracelayer.com

Thinking about getting some 3/4 tights. Is it better than just a good knee compression sock/brace (w/o stays)?

Your getting pushed hard on social media too?
    "Let's be careful out there."

Haha! Not yet!

I’m in need of some sort of better compression knee sleeves. Mine are stretched out and don’t provide support on my lower hamstrings. A coworker at the ski hill was telling me today that he uses bracelayer’s and likes them. I supposed there’s added benefit of the compression of the thighs? I also need sleeves (not tights) for running.

I know someone who uses them and likes them too. Sounds like they are worth a try.
    "Let's be careful out there."

These are the best tights i have evah worn. Plenty of room for the dangly bits.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BLT...b_b_prod_image
    watch out for snakes

Just ordered a pair of the non-thermal 3/4s. I've always worn a pair of shock doctor braces with stays - would be nice to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    These are the best tights i have evah worn. Plenty of room for the dangly bits.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BLT...b_b_prod_image
    You don't say

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AA7B582-0B7C-4F78-A8EE-EB2EEA6817F5.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	435756

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Just ordered a pair of the non-thermal 3/4s. I've always worn a pair of shock doctor braces with stays - would be nice to switch.
    Gonna do the same

I’ve been generally ignoring compression, but read/skimmed, just now, about the importance of compression after intense activity to aid in muscle recovery. My hamstrings are achy after my first full day of resort hot laps, especially the hamstring that I injured in April and re-injured in June and July. Now wearing my stretched out compression knee socks. Hoping it helps.

I picked up a pair of the thermal ones last year from bracelayer. Not what I was hoping for. The knee compression is nice, like a built in knee sleeve. The fabric is warm but the compression for the quads/hams/glutes is pretty minimal. I get much better compression from Under Armour “X” (they bought the tech from another brand) shorts or 2xu tights. I will probably just use the bracelayer ones for touring as I use a stronger knee sleeve/brace for inbounds anyways and the more hardcore compression shorts I have from under armour make your quads feel invincible!

Compression tights are difficult to actually achieve, and still be able to actually put them on, given the varied terrain it needs to compress. Not as bad as tops, though ...... unpossible! The UA tights look interesting, but no 3/4s?!?!? Seams/hem in a performance fit boot are a hard no.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Gonna do the same

I’ve been generally ignoring compression, but read/skimmed, just now, about the importance of compression after intense activity to aid in muscle recovery. My hamstrings are achy after my first full day of resort hot laps, especially the hamstring that I injured in April and re-injured in June and July. Now wearing my stretched out compression knee socks. Hoping it helps.
    I have found only mediocre returns from compression during activity, and i believe the science backs that up. After finishing a long day though I find a lot of benefit from wearing compression tights for a few hours during apres/dinner/etc. As always, could be placebo and ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    I have found only mediocre returns from compression during activity, and i believe the science backs that up. After finishing a long day though I find a lot of benefit from wearing compression tights for a few hours during apres/dinner/etc. As always, could be placebo and ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is my understanding too, benefit has been determined to be from compression after activity. A PT that I had a few years ago after a knee problem advised that I wear compression socks over my knees whenever doing an activity in the cold to keep the joint warm for better internal lubrication. I’m not sure about the science to support that, but it feels nice.

For me, I’m a get dressed and undressed for the ski hill at home type of guy. Sometimes that means that I’m in my dayglow kit for hours after skiing (slow slog to town and errand running before getting home). So knee brace compression tights worn skiing and those several hours after skiing should have benefit. I’ll look into those UA compression tights for other times when not skiing.

I can’t wait to be that middle aged dad wondering around in a grocery store in compression tights and a t-shirt with my teenagers showing off all the nooks and crannies of my lower body. Bonus points if I’m wearing an n95 mask. Confusing bonus points if I’m smelling like 2-stroke and smoked meat.

You are on your way!
    watch out for snakes

This is my understanding too, benefit has been determined to be from compression after activity. A PT that I had a few years ago after a knee problem advised that I wear compression socks over my knees whenever doing an activity in the cold to keep the joint warm for better internal lubrication. I’m not sure about the science to support that, but it feels nice.

For me, I’m a get dressed and undressed for the ski hill at home type of guy. Sometimes that means that I’m in my dayglow kit for hours after skiing (slow slog to town and errand running before getting home). So knee brace compression tights worn skiing and those several hours after skiing should have benefit. I’ll look into those UA compression tights for other times when not skiing.

I can’t wait to be that middle aged dad wondering around in a grocery store in compression tights and a t-shirt with my teenagers showing off all the nooks and crannies of my lower body. Bonus points if I’m wearing an n95 mask. Confusing bonus points if I’m smelling like 2-stroke and smoked meat.
    This is the only study I ever recalled seeing regarding compression effects, and it seemed to suggest a performance benefit:

Influence of Compression Garments on Vertical Jump Performance in NCAA Division I Volleyball Players

The purpose of this study was to determine whether compression shorts affected vertical jump performance. Subjects, 18 men and 18 women varsity volleyball players, were thoroughly familiarized with the jump tests and experimental techniques. Testing utilized compression shorts of normal fit (CS), undersized compression shorts (UCS), and loose fitting gym shorts as the control garment (CT). All tests were conducted on the same day using a balanced, randomized block design to remove day-to-day variation. Jumps were performed on an AMTI force plate interfaced to a computer with customized software to determine jump force and power. Ten consecutive maximal countermovement jumps with hands held at waist level were evaluated. The garments had no effect on maximal force or power of the highest jump. However, mean force and power production over the 10 jumps when wearing the CS were significantly (p ≤ 0.05) higher than CT for both men and women. In men the UCS mean power production was also higher than the CT. The data indicate that compression shorts, while not improving single maximal jump power, have a significant effect on repetitive vertical jumps by helping to maintain higher mean jumping power.”

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...736949a5e4acc1

It’s old, and a single small scale study. Is current thinking that this is incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    This is the only study I ever recalled seeing regarding compression effects, and it seemed to suggest a performance benefit:
    Thanks for sharing that study. I have not looked around for data, only listen to what PT says, read in KStar’s running book, and jibberish on this forum.

I got my bracelayer 3/4 tights. Took a while for my voice to recover after getting them on. Definitely need to read instructions for donning. Gonna wear them a bit today to see how recovery goes from my morning leg blaster routine. Will ski with them this weekend. I’ve been wearing wool baselayer for years. It’ll be interesting to see the difference with a synthetic.

Here’s a meta-analysis that seems solid, but since I’m not a Phd you can take my assessment with several grains of salt: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4306786/

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Here’s a meta-analysis that seems solid, but since I’m not a Phd you can take my assessment with several grains of salt: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4306786/
    Does riding the lift back up count as ‘recovery’ time?

Its a good Q and one that I doubt the little bit of real scientific literature that exists can shed much light on.

General consensus seems to be that compression doesn’t hurt, so if you want to wear them all day then go for it. I personally don’t love wearing them all day (annoying to pee/can cause chafing/etc) so will stick to putting them on after skiing to try to reduce soreness, as that works for me and seems to have at least some support in the science.

Ran into a PT for the us ski team while switching flights. Struck up a conversation and asked him about compression clothing. He was not high on it. Said the best was to do something like spin a bike (what they do, I try to walk or something) after anaerobic activity and then ice.

Surprised to hear the ice recommendation - that flies in the face of most current thinking from PTs. Consensus now seems to be that ice slows recovery from normal exercise (by restricting blood flow), and is best saved for recovery from significant injury or other acute harm like surgery.

Agree 100% that light activity is probably the best. I like compression when activity isnt in the cards - like a drive home or hanging out w beers

Well I could be misremembering the ice part.

I have briefly spun due to achy sorenesses around my knees after a day of hot laps followed by a long drive home due to poor roads. It’s worked. Also, stretching and roller work has helped.

Gonna do the same

Big fan of compression after hard days. Sleep in tops and tights that stretch until they don't, 25-30mmHg compression socks, knee and sometimes elbow sleeves.
    Second skin in the BC and hunting woods too. Hockey and football players know the antimicrobial metallic salts they're putting in as antistank also lowers risk of infection if they get a cut or abrasion.