Page 166 of 170 FirstFirst ... 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 4250
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    yeah but a place like snowbasin doesnt have anything but the mountain and it may attract more multi pass holders? I know I always heard Earl never wanted beds there, but maybe I heard that wrong. Kids in charge now either way and I don't think any are interested in skiing. Why not another park city? Maybe it will take some of the load off BCC/LCC?
    or a gondy up the west slope and a base area in Ogden?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    yeah but a place like snowbasin doesnt have anything but the mountain and it may attract more multi pass holders? I know I always heard Earl never wanted beds there, but maybe I heard that wrong. Kids in charge now either way and I don't think any are interested in skiing. Why not another park city? Maybe it will take some of the load off BCC/LCC?
    Hell's yeah. Too many brown bagging locals were sullying up those beautiful bathrooms. Keep those smelly rat bastards out of Snowbasin. Thank God the place will have a Club Med. They better damn well build a helicopter pad as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    or a gondy up the west slope and a base area in Ogden?
    I heard they tried like a decade ago but had a falling out with the landowner so that’s off the table

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I guess I'm out of the loop on parking at Alta. Does this mean if you want to tour up there you need a reservation or need to take the bus?

Have a friend who is looking to fly out to slc to ski. After looking at rental car prices he is thinking public transport. I have only been when I have had a car Looking for recommendations for where to stay to make transportation easy and food nearby. Should I just tell him to hole up at Alta and get the commute over with?

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Have a friend who is looking to fly out to slc to ski. After looking at rental car prices he is thinking public transport. I have only been when I have had a car Looking for recommendations for where to stay to make transportation easy and food nearby. Should I just tell him to hole up at Alta and get the commute over with?
    If your friend has the means. Staying up in LCC (if that’s where they’re skiing) is the best option. Makes a vacation an actually relaxing vacation versus stressing over the road.

Isn't there a Courtyard by Marriott on Wasatch Blvd. near Deep Powder House?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Should have mentioned he is not a man of great means, but saving on car helps offset This is a ski bum question. Appreciate answers

A little birdy is telling me that bus service may be reduced or some trips may be shorter (not going to trax) due to operator shortages. UTA is in dire straits for operators. They can't make existing service. So, that being said, the closer he can stay to the base of the canyon, the better for access to a bus. If you can stay on, or get to any of the major park and rides (or be along wasatch blvd) he should be able to get on a bus. Getting from somewhere near state to that area could be a longer ride, but doable with public transit.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    A little birdy is telling me that bus service may be reduced or some trips may be shorter (not going to trax) due to operator shortages. UTA is in dire straits for operators. They can't make existing service. So, that being said, the closer he can stay to the base of the canyon, the better for access to a bus. If you can stay on, or get to any of the major park and rides (or be along wasatch blvd) he should be able to get on a bus. Getting from somewhere near state to that area could be a longer ride, but doable with public transit.
    Oh jeez, this impacts where I stay - any idea where bus service is intended to start if they shorten the trips? Will it just be PNR > PNR > canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by patchorang View Post
    I guess I'm out of the loop on parking at Alta. Does this mean if you want to tour up there you need a reservation or need to take the bus?
    On weekends and holidays, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    Oh jeez, this impacts where I stay - any idea where bus service is intended to start if they shorten the trips? Will it just be PNR > PNR > canyon?
    I'll get whatever info I can, but as of now i hear its just cutting out any trips to trax.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Should I just tell him to hole up at Alta and get the commute over with?
    Does the Peruvian still have a dorm?

The Nordic rooms with 2pp aren’t too salty.

LCC bus service can suck balls at times and with the nation wide bus driver shortage, I wouldn’t mess with it.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 20-21

Avalanche Course question. My kids is at U of U and has a skilled local college friend who wants to take him backcountry. Our family rule is that you need to complete course 1 and 2 before you can do that. He’s totally into taking the classes so that’s sweet.

So, the question. Where are the best avi courses in SLC? Going to give them to him as a birthday present. Seems like the perfect TGR question and I really appreciate the help keeping my family safe.

^ FWIW, the U offers avi courses for college credit. Otherwise, the Utah Avalanche Center has a list classes starting in late November early Decembe: https://utahavalanchecenter.org/education/other-classes

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Avalanche Course question. My kids is at U of U and has a skilled local college friend who wants to take him backcountry. Our family rule is that you need to complete course 1 and 2 before you can do that. He’s totally into taking the classes so that’s sweet.

So, the question. Where are the best avi courses in SLC? Going to give them to him as a birthday present. Seems like the perfect TGR question and I really appreciate the help keeping my family safe.
    Don’t most level 2’s want you to have a season/minimum number of bc days as a prerequisite?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Don’t most level 2’s want you to have a season/minimum number of bc days as a prerequisite?
    Yes I believe so but that was confusing because I said it wrong. I meant Awareness and the Level 1. Level 2 also but later.
    Last edited by EWG; 09-27-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    ^ FWIW, the U offers avi courses for college credit. Otherwise, the Utah Avalanche Center has a list classes starting in late November early Decembe: https://utahavalanchecenter.org/education/other-classes
    Damn. Did not know about U of U courses. I will check into that.

Edit: they look excellent but they aren’t for credit. Snow science is, however.
    Last edited by EWG; 09-27-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Not sure if they're the same as the courses Earth Sciences/Meteorology ran (likely same/similar likely evolved).

If so, they're quite good, though I might be a little biased since I used to give a heuristics lecture for the course.

I’d also recommend that he reads the entire avi report (don’t just skim it or look at the compass rose) and most observations everyday. A lot of good knowledge can be gained from staying up on the conditions daily. Telefreewasatch also gave me some of the best advice for backcountry skiing I’ve ever got. Something like: Hike at a pace that allows you to have your head up and looking around at all times. Don’t just bury your head and hike fast.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Edit: they look excellent but they aren’t for credit. Snow science is, however.
    It might be worth taking another look. Unless things have changed, they used to offer two sets of parallel avi course(s) tracks one for credit and the other for continuing education.

The current catalog says PRTS2007 - Avalanche Fundamentals - Level 1 is for 2 credits but I could be missing something with the way things work now:

https://catalog.utah.edu/#/courses/N...emType=courses

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    It might be worth taking another look. Unless things have changed, they used to offer two sets of parallel avi course(s) tracks one for credit and the other for continuing education.

The current catalog says PRTS2007 - Avalanche Fundamentals - Level 1 is for 2 credits but I could be missing something with the way things work now:

https://catalog.utah.edu/#/courses/N...emType=courses
    You are correct sir. They offer the same class for credit and non credit and I had found the wrong one. Super cool. Thanks for the info.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i found the semester long snow science class to be a way better bang fer buck than my 3 day avvy 2
    but the snow science class lacks companion rescue and isnt part of the aarie, aai ,pay to play and git a cert program
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I’d also recommend that he reads the entire avi report (don’t just skim it or look at the compass rose) and most observations everyday. A lot of good knowledge can be gained from staying up on the conditions daily. Telefreewasatch also gave me some of the best advice for backcountry skiing I’ve ever got. Something like: Hike at a pace that allows you to have your head up and looking around at all times. Don’t just bury your head and hike fast.
    Thanks for the kudo.
    What is up with almost all self shot descending footage filming what is in front only?
    Is looking over one's shoulder when descending not cool no more?
    I like the footage examples of the big boys in big terrain; they are looking over their shoulder...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^ that is an excellent tidbit from TFW, parking that one in the noggin'
    You took too much man, too much, too much