Page 170 of 510 FirstFirst ... 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ... LastLast
Results 4,226 to 4,250 of 12727
    I looked at a Capri and ended up just going with a standard cap for 1/3 the price. Didn't seem worth it unless you go full blown camper and get to shit in private.
    Live Free or Die

This is what i'd want if i had a half ton and money...
    Kimbo Living

Made in Bellingham, WA. Haven't seen em in this thread yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d51e0fe57a651416e0cf85d098a9e894.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	260776
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	589.1 KB 
ID:	260777

the pod
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by b0ardski View Post
    the pod
    Imagine hot boxing that thing and opening that little door feeling like you're climbing out of a space ship.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Imagine hot boxing that thing and opening that little door feeling like you're climbing out of a space ship.
    I imagine this
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    For what it is worth, my dream is an light weight hardside slid in for a half ton on similar. I wish you could just buy a basic insulated shell. There was a Canadian company that made one but I forget the name.
    Coyote RV, are a custom aluminum frame camper builder specializing in pop ups but could easily build a solid wall shell.

That Kimbo is less expensive than I was expecting. Looks cool.

Benefits of a smaller / lighter package notwithstanding, I think skiing out of a 6' slide in would start to feel pretty damn cramped unless you were alone. Obviously it's do-able and people ski out of far smaller rigs, but for $20k, I'd want a little more room to relax. After a day of skiing where the wife and I have gear hanging to dry, our 8.5' feels plenty snug, especially if the dog's with us.

Two Canadian manufacturers make proper winter campers and both are in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley - Northern Lite in Kelowna and Big Foot in Armstong. They are definitely not light nor cheap although US$ would help

Northern Lite camper would be a dream, full fiberglass shell, insulation, heated tanks...

I've never hauled a slide in with a one ton, do they still sway around like crazy? I can't imagine hauling 3 or 4k in the bed of ANY truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Northern Lite camper would be a dream, full fiberglass shell, insulation, heated tanks...

I've never hauled a slide in with a one ton, do they still sway around like crazy? I can't imagine hauling 3 or 4k in the bed of ANY truck.
    Zero sway. I drive just like I did in the tundra with no camper.

The NL 9-6 weighs a lot less than Arctic Fox etc. 2600lb dry. Fully loaded, I'm right in line with my GVWR, so the truck doesn't complain. Really nice thing is no bounce or sway with people moving around in the camper without jacks down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post

It's like hauling 1500lbs in a 1/2 ton... main deal is match the right camper to the right truck. Upgrade springs if needed. Run e-rated tires. Make sure your steering and breaks aren't worn out. Always aim to have too big of a truck for your camper, not the other way around.

I've owned 3 Bigfoot/northern lite campers and never had a issue hauling them. The 1500 series campers are pretty light. The 2500 series I just got is heavy but packing smart (do you really need 50 gallons of fresh water for instance?) can help prevent sway. Also keeping the weight low in the camper... I try to pack anything heavy in the lowest cabinets. Also don't forget to tell the wife no cast iron pots and pans.

If you go really crazy with some giant Arctic Fox you might want a dually or look at a class 4/5 truck.

I'm going to put this right here:

https://overlandex.com/photo-gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post

If I'm reading that right, the camper can come off and you'll still have a flatbed under? That's awesome.

Camper on a flatbed would be kinda cool.

LVS and I have discussed this before, using a standard slide-in. You could have some nice locking storage under the camper overhangs. I've seen these on the road before.

Damn that is HUGE. Guys I know have
    a similar rig. Ski storage on the outside lengthwise is sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Camper on a flatbed would be kinda cool.

LVS and I have discussed this before, using a standard slide-in. You could have some nice locking storage under the camper overhangs. I've seen these on the road before.
    Yes, I dream of a custom aluminum tray with one side featuring lockable gear/camp furniture storage, and the other with a foldout outdoor kitchen with BBQ, stovetop, and prep area. Also I'd look at relocating camper battery bank and propane tanks to the tray to get camper weight lower in the truck.

Throw in an awning and you have the ultimate mobile basecamp.

But for now, a beater Bigfoot with an old pickup is the way to go for me. I just can't justify a high dollar "build" for something I use a few times a month at most. I might be a dentist but I'm no oral surgeon.

It would be badass to have that length of storage built in for skis. It seems like a struggle to find somewhere to store skis if you have a slide in. stashing them on the floor of the camper or in the truck is not appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Yes, I dream of a custom aluminum tray with one side featuring lockable gear/camp furniture storage, and the other with a foldout outdoor kitchen with BBQ, stovetop, and prep area. Also I'd look at relocating camper battery bank and propane tanks to the tray to get camper weight lower in the truck.

Throw in an awning and you have the ultimate mobile basecamp.

But for now, a beater Bigfoot with an old pickup is the way to go for me. I just can't justify a high dollar "build" for something I use a few times a month at most. I might be a dentist but I'm no oral surgeon.
    That does sound like a perfect base camp.

I've been dreaming of the idea of building my own box for the back of a single cab 4x4 similar to what the guys at aero continental were doing out in Bozeman.

Need to stop finding things that look fun and trying to build em. Too many hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    It would be badass to have that length of storage built in for skis. It seems like a struggle to find somewhere to store skis if you have a slide in. stashing them on the floor of the camper or in the truck is not appealing.

2500 series campers from BF and NL have full length basements for ski storage. Primary reason I sold my NL and bumped up to a (bigger) Bigfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post

I don't get the appeal of the door on the side. Pretty much just means that the camper is a pain in the ass in any normal parking lot.

2500 series campers from BF and NL have full length basements for ski storage. Primary reason I sold my NL and bumped up to a (bigger) Bigfoot.
    That is awesome. I didn't know that.
    I really like the idea of a BF or NL.

Not in the cards right now unfortunately. In the mean time I'll just keep oogling this thread and Craigslist.

I think the door on the side vs rear makes for a better floorplan but thats just IMO.

Yep, the 9.5ft NLs have the full length basement too and that's where the skis have been going. If I stack them with the brakes rubber banded (like sport tube has you do), I can get 3 pairs in. I find I've been using the bathroom way more than I ever imagined, so my bathroom rack plan is scrapped for now. But it works for temporary overflow, and to drain latent slush off skis before heading home.

I too love the idea of a flat bed and side storage. Saw quite a few set-ups like that for sale as I shopped over the the past few years. Nothing ski-specific, but it was easy to imagine. The NL's generator and propane compartments are mounted high, bringing those lower would be nice for COG. If also love to have a bit of support under the wings.

Also, I imagine it would be a much more realistic proposition to have an enclosed/ventilated compartment where the generator could run. If I could do that, I'd spring for a propane conversion kit and say good riddance to pulling the damn thing out for 5 minutes to microwave lunch or wax skis. Insulating said compartment with rock wool (or whatever) would also be more considerate in terms of noise. I always feel like kind of a jerk running the genny in the parking lot.

Thinking about the cost issue, flat beds were the cheapest trucks I looked at when I was shopping. If a guy was reasonably handy with a welder and some light fabrication, I don't think it would have to cost too much more. The pre-fabbed pull out kitchens are where they'll get ya.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I don't get the appeal of the door on the side. Pretty much just means that the camper is a pain in the ass in any normal parking lot.
    I don't either. On larger, longer campers, I assumed it was only ever done to minimize the longitudinal footprint of ones camping set up.

A couple thoughts though.

1. You could back all the way up to "whatever" and still get in. A lot of times, the back of my camper is in the bushes, up against the garage door, or sitting over sketchier ground compared to the ground where a side door would be.

2. You could have an epic side awning or awning room that included your doorway.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    I don't either. On larger, longer campers, I assumed it was only ever done to minimize the longitudinal footprint of ones camping set up.

A couple thoughts though.

1. You could back all the way up to "whatever" and still get in. A lot of times, the back of my camper is in the bushes, up against the garage door, or sitting over sketchier ground compared to the ground where a side door would be.

2. You could have an epic side awning or awning room that included your doorway.

Yeah, in the summer I think a side door would probably work since I'm much more likely to be camped in an area that doesn't have anyone else around, so I'm less limited on space. But in the winter, where I'm usually confined to a plowed parking lot at a trailhead that more often than not is a bit tight, I think the side stairs would be a pain. Or at the very least, it'd make it so I'm the asshole taking up two parking spaces in a full parking lot.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter since I don't have a flatbed. I thought about getting one since it'd be beneficial for a camper, but 1) any flatbed that's truly flat sits higher, since it doesn't have wheel wells. Not really psyched on that idea. And 2) a huge part of the reason I like the slide in is because it takes like 20 minutes to pop it off the truck and then I have a vehicle that's useful for all kinds of other things. For how I use my truck, a flatbed is a lot less useful.