Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulnptld View Post
    Looks fantastic! Can you link to it on Google Maps? We head down that way from Portland quite a bit.
    I know that beach well as I used to have a girlfriend in Westport. There are a ton of cool places North of Fort Bragg
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Stayed in the upper river run lot at sun valley last night with no issues

Finally of the ground and into a new to us camper, upgraded the tow rig also. Excited for a lot of camping this summer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	588.9 KB 
ID:	182541

Broke it in at local lake over the weekend, easy tow and the wife enjoys it

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Finally of the ground and into a new to us camper, upgraded the tow rig also. Excited for a lot of camping this summer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	588.9 KB 
ID:	182541

Broke it in at local lake over the weekend, easy tow and the wife enjoys it
    Very nice...... I just bought a Taco, how is it pulling your rig??? Sweet setup man......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Nice, looks pretty similar in size to ours (17') but likes like you have a slide out bed? Where's your door? Seems weird to have a canopy that doesn't cover the door (but I'm looking on my phone so maybe I just missed it).

We love our camper, though it does kinda turn you into a campground camper.

How well does the taco pull that? We upgraded from the quad cab frontier because we were afraid of pulling out in the mountains.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

first time out so just getting use to it. the taco pulls it well, searches for gear sometimes but power is good. put on a 8k equalizer and cant tell the camper is back there.

had an 11 4 Runner and needed to upgrade for more pulling power, love the new taco. looked at the chevy colorado's but felt too much like a car drive to me. wife drives the taco but I get visitation

odd angle of pic, awning covers the door. the front of the camper folds down to a full queen bed, hybrid style. really opens up once you fold out the bed. got alot of campground camping (CO state parks) planned this year while I work on the off the grid stuff. Need to put on solar and fix some things due to age, etc.

I'll be posting up the camping TR's, going to Lone Rock Campground for fly fishing over Memorial, working on 11 Mile canyon, Lakeview, Steamboat Lake and some others.

South of HWY 80 Wyoming visitor center below the cel tower hill. Happy jack exit. Great radio stations and your Wal mart fried chicken will still be warm. The gravel lot would suffice but there's a nice double carport tree situation across the street up a tiny hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Parked overnight at Red Mtn BC in their designated camping lot. $CAD10 on the sign, but nobody came to collect. Sign sez you need a toilet in your vehicle, but I figured the pee bottle was enough especially since the bathrooms were only 100m away. Walking distance to the lifts, less than 2'.
    Can any mags confirm that this is still the case at Red? Tried google, but no luck so far.

I think all the resorts in Washington allow RV camping to some degree or another. Stevens Pass has an overnight parking area and also an RV lot with hook ups. Mission Ridge has a designated RV parking area with no amenities. Alpental has a paid RV lot. The other hills are similar.

Anyone every van/truck camper in the Meadow Mountain lot off I-70 going to Miniturn? Walked up there this summer and looked like good terrain for the SO to try touring for the first time and like it would get good coverage pretty early in the year. Was thinking of rolling up in the evening, sleeping in the van and doing a few early morning laps.

Or is that place so overrun with snowmobilers I'd hate it?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Anyone every van/truck camper in the Meadow Mountain lot off I-70 going to Miniturn? Walked up there this summer and looked like good terrain for the SO to try touring for the first time and like it would get good coverage pretty early in the year. Was thinking of rolling up in the evening, sleeping in the van and doing a few early morning laps.

Or is that place so overrun with snowmobilers I'd hate it?
    Not a problem at all. And the snowmo's stick to a single track until way up high by the line shack/cornice.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Not a problem at all. And the snowmo's stick to a single track until way up high by the line shack/cornice.
    Rad. I'm not a big fan of sleds in my ski area but that little pitch looks hard to beat from an access perspective. If you have any other recommendations in the general vicinity for introducing someone to bc / car camping my PM box is empty .

You could car camp at Spraddle Creek, or at the end of the frontage road then hit up the north side of vail pass during the day. You would need to break down, but it's pretty close. Not sure on the overnight regs at Vail Pass summit proper, but I'm sure you could get away with it for a few nights no problem.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Uh...yeah...what?

Ski bum tips: Winter Park has truly embraced its brokest and most hard-core fanatics in recent years, particularly over on the Mary Jane side of the resort. “The C-Lot at Mary Jane has almost become its own separate community,” Hurlbert says. “There are remodeled bathrooms that are open all night, and many people will park campers in the lot in anxious anticipation of a powder day. During the ski day, the lot is alive with grilling, dogs flocking, and plenty of beer flowing. It’s easy to make new friends who are always willing to offer a sandwich and a cold beer.”
    Is this a marketing exec getting a little loose with the words or an official invitation to camp in the C-Lot for free? Is the latter, be careful what you wish for Wanker Park. Every "mountain-y" yuppie has a camper van these days looking for a place to park.

There are some big changes planned at Winter Park. The Zepher needs to be replaced and will be a gondola that stops at Sunspot and continues to Lunch Rock. The only hope I hold is that the Jane will stay free parking and no condos. It really is a ski area within a resort. Also, I think the bus might be able to pick me up in Tabernash and go to the mountain and town making apres a more viable stay outta jail experience.

Can Rockies RV Overnighting -
    Revelstoke yes x1 night if you register at office
    Kicking Horse - yes
    Lake Louise "due to ice jam flooding from the Pipestone River, the Lake Louise campground is closed until repairs are completed in the spring.
    If you are camping in your RV, there is free camping available at the ‘over flow parking lot’ 5 km east of Lake Louise off the Trans-Canada highway. There is no plug-in or sani dump station available.

If you are looking for a place to just park your RV, there is a parking lot behind the Husky gas station located across Village Road from ‘downtown’ Samson mall.

However, before you park your RV there, please come into the Lake Louise Visitor Information Center located on the corner of Samson mall, and talk with the Parks Canada staff. They will ask for your RV licence number and forward it to the Park Wardens who will then know to not give you a ticket for camping in a non-designated campground."

Big Sky MT: Porcupine Road was referenced earlier in this thread, but may not be as copacetic as previous. Instead, the parking lot at the bottom of the Pony Express lift in the Moonlight Basin section of Big Sky worked well for me last week. Thanks to Harry for the beta.

is this still accurate - looking for spots/lots to sleep in our popup camper in the wasatch and ranges to the south.

UT
    Alta/Snowbird: there is a trailhead shortly before the canyon road starts that has appears to allow overnight (and no-one bothered me) here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.57...13672&t=h&z=18

Canyons: allowed in the lot by the Silverado hotel.

In SLC in general there are a ton of places you can do (not counting the Costco and Walmart lots).
    Last edited by pajamas; 02-11-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Norton Bay Rd. North of Jackpot NV in ID. Road's pretty nice once it gets over this flooding chasm thing at the beginning.

I don't know that it is officially allowed, but we weren't bothered for 3 nights in this lot in T-Ride. Says 72 hour free parking and doesn't explicitly exclude camping. Saw others there as well. Public bathrooms open between 6am and 10pm near the lift ticket office by the Coonskin lift.

https://goo.gl/maps/5HhdthZxbLN2

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

I don't know that it is officially allowed, but we weren't bothered for 3 nights in this lot in T-Ride. Says 72 hour free parking and doesn't explicitly exclude camping. Saw others there as well. Public bathrooms open between 6am and 10pm near the lift ticket office by the Coonskin lift.

https://goo.gl/maps/5HhdthZxbLN2
    There are two signs that specifically state no overnight camping at the entrance to that lot. But there were six other vans camping overnight with no hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    There are two signs that specifically state no overnight camping at the entrance to that lot. But there were six other vans camping overnight with no hassles.
    We looked around for them and didn't see them as I'm paranoid about that sort of thing. If they are there they're well hidden or new. Are you thinking of the lot closest to the the lift? This was the lot a bit back on the other side of the river from the mtn.

Pretty sure we're talking the same lot. Has a bigger sign that says 72 hour parking allowed and a little shack at the entrance...maybe 200-300 yards from Coonskin? Up high on a post not where the 72 hour sign is was a little white sign saying no overnight camping. Everyone we talked to said they had no troubles. We also chatted up an older couple at the coffee shop and they said park in front of their place on the 700 block of Columbine and if anyone hassled us, tell them Bebe said to park there. They, and another guy at the bar, said that as long as your not on the main road, keep a low profile, and there's not an event or festival, side roads are generally fair game for car camping. Edit-found the pic. If this is the same lot, they post no camping-look in the lower right of the attached "No overnight camping in parking lot"

From the road trip we're currently on:

Taos-all is fair game and we took pole position in the closest parking lot with no troubles. Multiple other overnighters there. Get the chili verde at Tim's Stray Dog. There a bathroom at the beginning of the shops as you drive in.

Telluride-see above. Didn't know about the toilets but we had our river toilet in the van and no deuces. Also stayed a night at Orvis Hot Springs. If staying in a camper, 24 hour access to showers, kitchen area and hot springs. No hookups. I can't remember pricing but want to say about $10-15 more per person than just visiting the Springs on a day trip and those folks have to leave at 10 pm.

Aspen-Aspen Basalt Campground. Call in advance...not many spots for passers through. Seemed like they almost all are permanent winter residents. $40/night with hookups and showers. Fairly seedy element and crumby looking Campers with reflectix duct taped around the bottoms but only about 20 minutes from Highlands.

Stayed with friends in Durango and SLC so no comments there.

Currently parked at Lava Hot Springs after a soak. Going to check out Pebble Creek in the morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Conundrum; 02-25-2017 at 09:10 AM.

CA: Squaw currently allows two nights in the lot by the clock tower. You have to register but it's free.

I used my two nights, any other good spots closer than the truckstop on 80?

Any clues for overnight parking at/near Powder Mountain, UT? Heading to use Loveland 3 free days with the truck camper.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Any clues for overnight parking at/near Powder Mountain, UT? Heading to use Loveland 3 free days with the truck camper.
    I would guess that you can set up right in the base area parking lot if you'd like. With that being said changes have certainly occurred over the past few years with the new management so may be worth a phone call to the ticket office.