Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Had a great time last week. Ended up getting around to a bunch of resorts, first time skiing Canyons (could do without next time), Snowbasin, and Snowbird. First day was a return trip to Alta which I always enjoy. Was nice to meet straightlineorbust on the Snowbird tram, brought up the alpy sticker and I was like 'wait a minute…'

and now a not so glamorous cell phone TR since my camera's broke

Sunday skied Alta with a ripping lady from school who now lives in slc
    IMG_6174 by AD, on Flickr

first time seeing whatever contraption this is..
    IMG_0901 by AD, on Flickr

Monday at the Canyons, no pictures but did find some decent terrain off the 99 90 lift

Tuesday at Snowbasin was game changer
    This ridge reminded me of a mini, more docile Fantasy Ridge
    IMG_0923 by AD, on Flickr

no ropes were found other than at the resort boundaries, a nice touch
    IMG_0926 by AD, on Flickr

IMG_0929 by AD, on Flickr

so good we decided to come back for another day
    the flies were out, seemed like thousands buzzing around the grass near the base. weird
    IMG_6178 by AD, on Flickr

photo of my bud
    IMG_0954 by AD, on Flickr

the wide swath of the left corresponds to the photo above
    IMG_0970 by AD, on Flickr

close to home
    IMG_6176 by AD, on Flickr

bandits' grill & bar is a nice spot
    IMG_0974 by AD, on Flickr

we had good luck finding fast chalk on northern aspects on wednesday, and thursday at bird didn't disappoint
    IMG_0981 by AD, on Flickr

naturally the front of the cirque was a must as the aspect checked out. as we scoped it from the tram we watched a guy fall at the very top and proceed to yardsale slide over all the bumps to the bottom. looked brutal but he bounced right up, except his skis were very high up. in the picture you can see him hiking up at the bottom to retrieve his gear. i brought down a pole and ski and was surprised to see he was late 40s / early 50s. he must have been feeling it the next day
    IMG_0984 by AD, on Flickr

IMG_0990 by AD, on Flickr

me on silver fox

was a good day
    IMG_6184 by AD, on Flickr

stayed at the mountain way too late watching UVM lose, and we were a mess in the parking lot packing for our flights
    IMG_1002 by AD, on Flickr

I've been out a couple times but for whatever reason this past trip really struck a chord. Going to shoot for a transfer at the end of the year.
    Last edited by east or bust; 03-20-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Nice trip report bud, always good to hear people had a fun time in our little weird slice of heaven.

Nice turns in silver fox too, always fun to find the chalky lines in there.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I've been out a couple times but for whatever reason this past trip really struck a chord. Going to shoot for a transfer at the end of the year.
    You thinking of moving out west young man? But you're east or bust!
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    Rontele could probably fix that

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    He'd just have to change his name to Bust.

So is this little storm cycle coming in something, or nothing? I left last Sunday, finally tired of slush and high pressure. I can come back but flying across the country for dust on crust doesn't sound dreamy. Or is it even gonna be cold enough for dust? Will it be mush on slush? (did I just invent a new term? "mush on slush"?)

Enguiring minds want to know. The forecasts are somewhat ambivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    How are things at Snowbird and Alta? (somewhat rhetorical)
    Doing a 3 day trip next week
    Signed
    Kenny Wa-Satch Dreaming

Props to mbillie for directing me to the proper thread
    green circles are firing !
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    He'd just have to change his name to Bust.

So is this little storm cycle coming in something, or nothing? I left last Sunday, finally tired of slush and high pressure. I can come back but flying across the country for dust on crust doesn't sound dreamy. Or is it even gonna be cold enough for dust? Will it be mush on slush? (did I just invent a new term? "mush on slush"?)

Enguiring minds want to know. The forecasts are somewhat ambivalent.
    Just got home from the bird. Snow is piling up but there is some definite funkiness going on beneath the new snow. Mush on slush is somewhat accurate. Fun turns to be had though. Was nuking hard when I left though, by the end of the weekend conditions could be pretty decent again.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    there is some definite funkiness going on beneath the new snow. Mush on slush is somewhat accurate. Fun turns to be had though.
    no doubt. definitely sticky on the up this morning but the denser snow made for some creamy turns. one thing i dig about spring >> less peeps getting out

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Just got home from the bird. Snow is piling up but there is some definite funkiness going on beneath the new snow. Mush on slush is somewhat accurate. Fun turns to be had though. Was nuking hard when I left though, by the end of the weekend conditions could be pretty decent again.
    Thanks. Got one rally left, either leave here Sunday or wait and do closing. Hm.

Bird skiied great this AM. Snowing pretty good this AM yet visibility was great on the Cirque. Silver fox,etc where nice creamy turns. The heavier snow really covered what I'm sure was a pretty stout crust up well. Lower stuff and Gad 2 was pretty cruddy and manky but not terrible at all. Socked in pretty hard toward afternoon. Blackjack area skiied surprisingly well at end of day considering elevation. No people up here at all considering first snow in weeks, walk on trams most of the day.

Would you buy a ticket that got you there Sunday for a chance of pow Monday, or would you wait and go to closing for a guaranteed party?

This question is hard for me to figure out. I don't normally ask about skiing shit but I can't figure out the right answer here. One trip. Any time between now and closing April 15. hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Would you buy a ticket that got you there Sunday for a chance of pow Monday, or would you wait and go to closing for a guaranteed party?

This question is hard for me to figure out. I don't normally ask about skiing shit but I can't figure out the right answer here. One trip. Any time between now and closing April 15. hmmm
    Honestly, I'd go for closing in April and hope for blue skies and corn skiing. The skiing was good but underwhelming today.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Honestly, I'd go for closing in April and hope for blue skies and corn skiing. The skiing was good but underwhelming today.
    x2. Today was good, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't hop on a cross country flight to ski it.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    thats my plan. Booked tix for 12-15. will hit up Solitude and maybe burn up my last free Tix at Deer Valley depending on conditions. I have hit some great storms this year and to be honest I was bummed leaving the last weekend in February after an epic storm cycle. Work kept me away for March but I feel like I havent missed too much. I told the wife I was looking forward to some blue skies and corduroy groomers though.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    soli untracked honeycombs skied alright yesterday but it was only black forest so the untracked didn't last
    if it were real goods i wouldn't be thinkin bout fishin today
    cant recall ever seeing iceman a top the ph for 4:20 lds services
    nor marcherita @ bees right on shenanigans
    id come out and plan on that followed by a 4 20 green river holiday float
    with deluxe accomidations in the bmc cougar den
    couple minor modifications n
    the audi will tow that thing just fine
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Dang, it says "Cougar" right on it. Okay I'm in.

Get it before it all melts.

Alta was great this morning. Timed the rope drops pretty much perfect. Hit it fast kinda day. That time of the year damned sun.

Skied a Sunset Saddle to SW Wolverine in the 11:30-12:30 range today. N facing Rocky was nice and dry. Wolvie had a bit more southern aspect than I woulda liked. Triggered a very small wet sluff on a ski cut. No pics.

Long running sloughs on high w facing this morning.

Any inbounds suggestions for tomorrow given all the moisture coming through today?

Quote Originally Posted by realjwin View Post
    Any inbounds suggestions for tomorrow given all the moisture coming through today?
    Yah, I've got a good suggestion! Fucking ski!

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Yah, I've got a good suggestion! Fucking ski!
    Pretty sure that was a given.

Quote Originally Posted by realjwin View Post
    Sundance for sure.