Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whistler mags - Olympics help

Where do I start here?

My g/f and I, my folks and some friends are descending on Vancouver to watch the winter games in Feb 2010. We have our events already and are trying to figure out all the logistics. Trying to not put this off too much longer.

I was in Vancouver once as a kid, but really only know what I read about here, e.g. proximity to the mountain, etc. We have a mix of mountain and city events, mostly mountain. This trip is also anchored by the fact that we want to ski. I know, I know, I’ve resigned myself to know it will be chaos, and only part of the mountain will be open. But I ain’t flying all the way there from here (Denver) and not skiing.

Starting with lodging, I want to put the feelers out to all Whistler/Vancouver mags to anyone who might have any connections to lodging. First, does anyone perhaps own or manage a property (condo, hotel, house, etc) that they were thinking of renting out anyway? At dead minimum it will be four of us (g/f, parents and I), and maybe if the size of the accommodations is big enough we would invite two friends with (another couple). Anyone with such connections have a “mag” rate they’d be willing to consider? Or even if not, would anyone be willing to rent out said property at normal rate to someone they can trust more as opposed to an absolute stranger? Backscratching will be rewarded of course. Not that your mountains don’t destroy ours, but you’d get a welcome light and guest room in Golden CO (Denver) if you ever wanted one, along with other hospitality. Back to there though, this could be either mountain property or city, we could likely make either work. Does the city make sense more? Or mountain (which will likely be more $$$)?

Save that, can anyone recommend lodging at all that just might be a plain good deal considering? Is there anything in between Vancouver and Whistler that’s worth looking at? Does it make sense “splitting the difference” driving wise?

In essence we’re gonna be there the first week of the games. Our events are the 14th through the 18th. We’re trying to figure out when we’ll ski, a couple days on the front end or a couple on the end. I’m not sure it will make much difference for how much of a hassle it might be with crowds...but again we want to ski.

Onto other questions.

The most time efficient way to get there is to fly, and we’re also exploring flying into Seattle (getting a day at Baker in on the way) and the driving up to Vancouver for the games. This would of course be in a rental car. But figuring the cost of additional luggage (assuming we bring all our gear) we’re also toying with the idea of road-tripping so we have freedom of transportation while we’re there. I attended the 2002 games in Salt Lake but had my own wheels there, which made it nice. But I also remember them having plenty of public tranportation. From what you all have seen is there (maybe already) good public transporation to get to and from Whistler from the city? Would it help at all having our own wheels? I’m assuming it’d be nice to have our own wheels to haul ski gear to & fro, but maybe shuttles exist already that skiers take to the mountain from the city, or vice versa. Any recommendations?

Finally, the one everyone always asks for. What is to be had with discount lift tickets? Any normal coupons or something that surface every year through businesses, etc? Would a kind-hearted maggot be able to buy discount tickets on their pass for us like it works down here in CO? Is there such thing as a multi-day pass that’s not a full blown season pass (like the four passes common here)?

I know I’m asking a lot here, but if even a couple of these ideas came through we could save money, or at dead least…hassle. Feel free to go off here in this thread, or PM me so we can take this offline. But any offers of kindness would duly be repaid down here in our neck of the woods somehow…my word is good there. Ask anyone who knows me.

Thanks in advance!

Question A Lodging

- There won't be any deals during the Olympics. Places that people own are being rented out for 20k for the month.

- If you don't have lodging already get on it, or you won't have any. I think a recent newspaper article said that 95% of the hotels were already sold out

- Stay in Whistler if you want to ski. They aren't going to let you park in the village so if you are driving up from Van or Squamish, you will have nowhere to park

Discount Lift Tickets
    - 7/11 gives you about 10 bucks off. Who knows if they will do this during the games.

Driving vs Flying
    - I would fly. I imagine the border time at the Olympics is going to be at least 2 or 3 hours if not longer with intensive security. You might not even be able to drive to Whistler. It's a big cluster-fuck. We still don't know if we are going to be able to drive. Word has it almost everyone is going to have to take a bus up. They are closing down the highway to almost everyone. Makes sense right? Spend $2 billion on a highway for the Olympics and then close it to the public.

Skiing
    -If you can make it to Whistler, find lodging, the skill hills will probably be empty.
    Last edited by postman22; 04-23-2009 at 10:06 AM.

At this point (less than a year away), be prepared to pay (outrageously) big money for your accommodation, if you manage to find some in Whistler. The rumour mill says the highway will be open from Van to Squamish, and then they will make people who don't live or work there take a bus up. No idea how much it will cost, but I'm guessing it won't be free...

http://www.whistler.com/search/ for places to stay (I think they have a pretty complete inventory of accommodations in town), although it says there is nothing available for the olympics.

There's a considerable amount of gouging going on with accommodations in Whistler during the Olymics. The RCMP set the bar fairly high when they rented out homes for $70k for two months. Vanoc has gobbled up most of the scraps and the hotels are pretty much booked solid already. The lack of inventory has caused planners to create a homestay program for volunteers and workers. I'd say the ship has sailed as far as Whistler goes. You may find some last min deals closer to the games, but I doubt it.

I think you will find many more accommodations options in the city. You will have to take a bus up to go skiing from Vancouver and to spectate any Whistler events, but it's doable.

Maybe look into Squamish. It's a good in between spot and probably more affordable than either Whistler or Vancouver. The inventory is a bunch of cheese ball motels and probably some folks looking to rent out their homes.

Without proof of residency, you will not be able to drive the ski to sky highway in a car. Busses will be the only available mode of transport.

Quote Originally Posted by SILENCER View Post
    Where do I start here?

My g/f and I, my folks and some friends are descending on Vancouver to watch the winter games in Feb 2010. We have our events already and are trying to figure out all the logistics. Trying to not put this off too much longer.

I was in Vancouver once as a kid, but really only know what I read about here, e.g. proximity to the mountain, etc. We have a mix of mountain and city events, mostly mountain. This trip is also anchored by the fact that we want to ski. I know, I know, I’ve resigned myself to know it will be chaos, and only part of the mountain will be open. But I ain’t flying all the way there from here (Denver) and not skiing.

Starting with lodging, I want to put the feelers out to all Whistler/Vancouver mags to anyone who might have any connections to lodging. First, does anyone perhaps own or manage a property (condo, hotel, house, etc) that they were thinking of renting out anyway? At dead minimum it will be four of us (g/f, parents and I), and maybe if the size of the accommodations is big enough we would invite two friends with (another couple). Anyone with such connections have a “mag” rate they’d be willing to consider? Or even if not, would anyone be willing to rent out said property at normal rate to someone they can trust more as opposed to an absolute stranger? Backscratching will be rewarded of course. Not that your mountains don’t destroy ours, but you’d get a welcome light and guest room in Golden CO (Denver) if you ever wanted one, along with other hospitality. Back to there though, this could be either mountain property or city, we could likely make either work. Does the city make sense more? Or mountain (which will likely be more $$$)?

Save that, can anyone recommend lodging at all that just might be a plain good deal considering? Is there anything in between Vancouver and Whistler that’s worth looking at? Does it make sense “splitting the difference” driving wise?

In essence we’re gonna be there the first week of the games. Our events are the 14th through the 18th. We’re trying to figure out when we’ll ski, a couple days on the front end or a couple on the end. I’m not sure it will make much difference for how much of a hassle it might be with crowds...but again we want to ski.

Onto other questions.

The most time efficient way to get there is to fly, and we’re also exploring flying into Seattle (getting a day at Baker in on the way) and the driving up to Vancouver for the games. This would of course be in a rental car. But figuring the cost of additional luggage (assuming we bring all our gear) we’re also toying with the idea of road-tripping so we have freedom of transportation while we’re there. I attended the 2002 games in Salt Lake but had my own wheels there, which made it nice. But I also remember them having plenty of public tranportation. From what you all have seen is there (maybe already) good public transporation to get to and from Whistler from the city? Would it help at all having our own wheels? I’m assuming it’d be nice to have our own wheels to haul ski gear to & fro, but maybe shuttles exist already that skiers take to the mountain from the city, or vice versa. Any recommendations?

Finally, the one everyone always asks for. What is to be had with discount lift tickets? Any normal coupons or something that surface every year through businesses, etc? Would a kind-hearted maggot be able to buy discount tickets on their pass for us like it works down here in CO? Is there such thing as a multi-day pass that’s not a full blown season pass (like the four passes common here)?

I know I’m asking a lot here, but if even a couple of these ideas came through we could save money, or at dead least…hassle. Feel free to go off here in this thread, or PM me so we can take this offline. But any offers of kindness would duly be repaid down here in our neck of the woods somehow…my word is good there. Ask anyone who knows me.

Thanks in advance!
    I'd be interested but would only be interested in at least a two week minimum rental. PM me for further details.

Thanks so far everyone. Good, yet sobering info. I had a feeling that the mountain would be rammed already. Who knows, a cancellation might pop up but I can't bank our trip on that.

I'll look into Squamish for sure, and PM you LeeLau.

Any more info from up that way is still appreciated though, keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    At this point (less than a year away), be prepared to pay (outrageously) big money for your accommodation, if you manage to find some in Whistler. The rumour mill says the highway will be open from Van to Squamish, and then they will make people who don't live or work there take a bus up. No idea how much it will cost, but I'm guessing it won't be free...

http://www.whistler.com/search/ for places to stay (I think they have a pretty complete inventory of accommodations in town), although it says there is nothing available for the olympics.
    It kinda sucks, because as a spectator the earliest tickets went on sale were something like 13 months before the games. So there was really no concrete way to know when you'd even need the accomodations for. My mistake was waiting the month and a half since I was awarded my tickets to start this.

Practice your crowd surfing techniques...

You can stay at my place for the olympics and I'll use the cash to go to Bralorne for the two weeks.
    Seriously...but would only be last minute.

PM sent.

I have not decided what I am going to do with my place yet.

Thanks

TeCeBe and Atrain 505, PM's incoming!

Just a reminder that Hwy 99 from Van to Whistler will be closed to non-local traffic for most of the time, and for the rest of the time, a gong show of "hydrogen" buses running athletes, press & wanker politicians up and down.

You will need proof of Whistler residency to get on the highway during blackout periods. The checkpoint will be just north of Squamish at Alice Lake. The Hwy will be open to the general public at other times but who knows what that will be like. It might be fine; it might not be.

Parking in Whistler will be extremely restricted as well, but if you have a place, plan to park your car and leave it there. Public transport in Whistler will be enhanced greatly.

Point being, I would investigate driving to Whistler. It might not be feasible depending on yr schedule, and you might want to look into alternative transport (bus -- just ignore the fact that our province sold the perfectly nice rail lines, ok?).
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

The highway isn't going to be closed ... unless there's another rock slide.

They are planning to make specific lanes of traffic on the 3 and 4-lane sections "Olympic only" at various times, but there will always be public access. While they do plan to have road checks in place to discourage (but not prohibit) people who really don't have a reason to be on the road, anyone who has a legitimate purpose (ie: ski holiday, or lives here) will be waved through without too much hassle.

Of course, as khyber.pass says it will be a gong show of epic proportions, so don't be surprised if the 1 1/2 hour drive from N. Van turns into a 10 hour odyssey.

As for accommodations; Whistler is FAR from sold out. Everyone needs to remember that almost every hotel/condo suite in Whistler is separately owned. A lot of these owners are not required to give NOUs to their management companies until just before the season starts, which means those management firms can't sell (reserve) the units until then because they could end up double booking with the owner of the suite if they do.

If anything, the prices of accommodations in Whistler for next season, even February, will go down as the dates get closer. In fact there will probably even be vacancies, given that some condo owners still have unrealistic dreams of scoring $2,000/nt for shit-hole studio suites that haven't been refurbished in 15 or 20 years and reak of old mold and vomit.

Aside from the day lots being closed from September to March and transportation being a nightmare, 2009-2010 will be a great time to be here, all of the good stuff higher up in the alpine will be open and since the only tourists in town will be here for the Olympics, the mountains should be significantly less crowded than usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

I've a condo for rent in the centre of Whistler Village, PM me if you're interested.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    The highway isn't going to be closed ... unless there's another rock slide.

They are planning to make specific lanes of traffic on the 3 and 4-lane sections "Olympic only" at various times, but there will always be public access. While they do plan to have road checks in place to discourage (but not prohibit) people who really don't have a reason to be on the road, anyone who has a legitimate purpose (ie: ski holiday, or lives here) will be waved through without too much hassle.

Of course, as khyber.pass says it will be a gong show of epic proportions, so don't be surprised if the 1 1/2 hour drive from N. Van turns into a 10 hour odyssey.

As for accommodations; Whistler is FAR from sold out. Everyone needs to remember that almost every hotel/condo suite in Whistler is separately owned. A lot of these owners are not required to give NOUs to their management companies until just before the season starts, which means those management firms can't sell (reserve) the units until then because they could end up double booking with the owner of the suite if they do.

If anything, the prices of accommodations in Whistler for next season, even February, will go down as the dates get closer. In fact there will probably even be vacancies, given that some condo owners still have unrealistic dreams of scoring $2,000/nt for shit-hole studio suites that haven't been refurbished in 15 or 20 years and reak of old mold and vomit.

Aside from the day lots being closed from September to March and transportation being a nightmare, 2009-2010 will be a great time to be here, all of the good stuff higher up in the alpine will be open and since the only tourists in town will be here for the Olympics, the mountains should be significantly less crowded than usual.
    Thanks Shaggy, appreciate it. Appreciate everyone's input so far...feeling a bit more optomistic about the whole trip now!

You'll have a blast and it'll be an experience to talk about either way.

I forgot to mention in my last post that if you are comfortable with the higher olympic rates then check on whistler.com for 7 night stays, since 7 is the magic number right now. Hotels don't want to book for less since they don't want to end up with 2 or 3 night between-event vacancies they can't sell. Making your 7-night search for an arrival on a Friday will show availabilities right next door (literally) to the Alpine venue in Creekside.
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

I have purchased tickets for a fair amount of the biathlon events to take place at the Olympic Park in the Callaghan Valley. I wasn't really sure how I was going to get up there but as of now it seems I'll be driving from SLC to BC. I don't have a place to stay and was wondering if it was even feasible to sleep in my car or am I going to have to look at getting a drive way from someone or perhaps purchasing a parking space for a month? I do hold dual citizenship with Canada and the U.S. but I'm not from B.C.

I was also looking at doing some skiing on some of the days at Whistler.
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

Unless they plan to change the bylaws, parking on civic streets is legal except from 9am-5pm daily during the winter. The muni seems really gung-ho to make camping/vanning/squatting/etc a thing of the past so expect to get hassled.

Renting a private parking spot at someone's house is probably your best bet.

One thing to think about, if you are planning to drive from the US (or basically anywhere east of Merritt) is coming across the border at Osoyoos, BC/Oroville, WA and driving through the interior a bit, then come to Whistler the back way, via Lillooet and Pemberton. The highway isn't the greatest, especially in winter, but there won't be much traffic. As for accommodation, try and get on that sooner rather than later. As others have said, parking will be extremely restricted. Even those of us who live here basically won't be able to park in places besides our driveways.

A couple of websites for accommodation. I am not affiliated with any of them, and have no idea how reliable they are, but it's worth looking into:

www.rent2010.net
    www.van2010rentals.com
    www.rentforthegames.com
    www.rentatthegames.com
    www.winter2010rentals.com (also a forum here)

SILENCER -- You said you had tickets to mountain & city events but some mountain stuff will be in Whistler (2 hours from Vancouver) and some will be at Cypress (20 minutes from Vancouver). If you're staying in Vancouver there's a shuttle bus system to move people to Whistler. There's local (to Vancouver) ski hills too (Grouse & Seymour).
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Semi-hijack. I have a friend who lives in Vancouver and I was planning to go up for at least part of the games.

What is going on with tickets? Is everything sold out? Is there another public sale?
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by gg8983 View Post
    Semi-hijack. I have a friend who lives in Vancouver and I was planning to go up for at least part of the games.

What is going on with tickets? Is everything sold out? Is there another public sale?
    sold out... need to purchase through a 3rd party now

Quote Originally Posted by StopMakingSense View Post
    sold out... need to purchase through a 3rd party now
    False. The are 4 phases with phase 2 on June 6, 2009. Go to www.vancouver2010.com for more information.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    False. The are 4 phases with phase 2 on June 6, 2009. Go to www.vancouver2010.com for more information.
    Wow awesome news!@#! thanks man, I can squeeze in a few more events now ::dance::

"Tickets remaining after Phase 1 will go on sale to the public on a first-come, first-served basis. Canadian residents who missed the initial request period can purchase tickets directly through vancouver2010.com or by calling the Vancouver 2010 Ticketing Call Centre at 1-800-TICKETS (1-800-842-5387)."

US Residents = http://www.cosport.com/