Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    I stuck with it....thanks...really liked it. You are totally right.....great SF.

Will it keep going to a Season 4?
    Season 4 coming to Amazon:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.denof...and-other-news

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Sneaky Pete season 3 was OK, definitely losing some of the mojo though. Why does ever show that is based on the east coast feel like it is necessary to do at least one California season? Even the Beastie Boys did it. WTF?
    Yeah, but the Beastie Boys made one of the most brilliant albums of their career--heck, one of the most brilliant albums, regardless of genre, of all time-- while out in Cali......

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Watched Deadwood a long time ago on DVDs. Early seasons were great, later seasons meh. Seems to happen to most shows unfortunately. I'll have to check out the new ones.
    Huh? There were only 3 seasons man. I think you're thinking about another show. (and there are no "new ones". Theres a movie, next week.) All 3 seasons were $$$

edit: whoops, should've read the whole page before responding
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    Deadwood was only 3 seasons, and they were all strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Huh? There were only 3 seasons man. I think you're thinking about another show. (and there are no "new ones". Theres a movie, next week.) All 3 seasons were $$$
    Nope, I definitely remember, even thought it was over a decade ago. Overall not a terrible show, I thought the dialog was kinda cheesy because it was more out of the 21st century than the old west. I read something about them saying fuck more than 1.5 times per minute over the entire show. That didn't bother me though. I just lost interest in the last season. Sorry if I insulted your shitty wannabe western miniseries, but not everybody likes the same shit. Maybe it just felt longer than 3 seasons because I lost interest but kept watching.

Didn't insult anything for me bro I could care less if you like Deadwood or not, you just sound ignorant of the show your critiquing when you say something like "well the first few seasons were good but the last few weren't" when the show was only 3 seasons long. Like you really have no idea what you're talking about but feel like throwing your negative two cents in anyhow. In addition, the show turns up - high - on probably every top TV shows of all time lists (Rolling Stone has it at #23, IGN has it at #27 etc) you saying its a "shitty" show is flat out untrue. Its objectively a good show even if it wasnt to your tastes.

And the dialogue was out of the 21st century, because modern viewers would laugh at what was considered "vulgar" back then, it would sound corny to our ears, and they wanted to represent the period as super vulgar. Thus the modern swears

Actually, the dialogue was more Shakespearean with a tasty frosting of earthy 21st blue.

Started a Band of Brothers binge....always forget how good this was...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Didn't insult anything for me bro I could care less if you like Deadwood or not, you just sound ignorant of the show your critiquing when you say something like "well the first few seasons were good but the last few weren't" when the show was only 3 seasons long. Like you really have no idea what you're talking about but feel like throwing your negative two cents in anyhow. In addition, the show turns up - high - on probably every top TV shows of all time lists (Rolling Stone has it at #23, IGN has it at #27 etc) you saying its a "shitty" show is flat out untrue. Its objectively a good show even if it wasnt to your tastes.

And the dialogue was out of the 21st century, because modern viewers would laugh at what was considered "vulgar" back then, it would sound corny to our ears, and they wanted to represent the period as super vulgar. Thus the modern swears
    If I remember correctly, Brokeback Mountain got great reviews too. Maybe you should watch that next.
    Yeah, I was ignorant as to how long it was because I watched it over 10 years ago, and thought it sucked then. Shit, 36 episodes seems like a lot compared to what you get these days. Maybe I was fresh off a few seasons of Lonesome Dove. I don't know, but I still think that it was some cheesy wannabe Sopranos western. It was some kind of soap opera that just so happened to take place in a town in the west.

Watched Deadwood a long time ago. Early seasons were great
    I watched it over 10 years ago, and thought it sucked.
    Bro are you bipolar? Split personality? Stupid? Was the show great, or did it suck. Make up your mind

Maybe I was fresh off a few seasons of Lonesome Dove.
    Uh....Lonesome Dove didn't have "a few seasons" bud. It was a 4 episode miniseries. Just sayin'.

I think you jokers have been watching too many soap operas.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Uh....Lonesome Dove didn't have "a few seasons" bud. It was a 4 episode miniseries. Just sayin'.
    Apparently, there was a one season of "Lonesome Dove" staring Ricky

Only noticed that entry because I had to go back and check the original's run to because it seemed so much more epic than 4 nights. RIP Augustus.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Apparently, there was a one season of "Lonesome Dove" staring Ricky.
    Interesting, I was not aware. The miniseries is definitely one of the all-time greats as far as TV westerns go. My wife and I just watched it again a few months ago when it was on cable. It had been a while since I'd seen it. Great story and great actors.

Looking forward to the Deadwood movie. It does have a lot to live up to after such a great series was canceled mid-story like that. Be interesting to see how they handle it.

“Fleabag” is hilarious. Rude and crude, make sure the kids are asleep before you start it.

So, this past Friday night I was rummaging through the offerings on AP, nevermind that I already have 900+ saved films/shows in my queue, and I began watching WE ARE TWISTED F***ING SISTER, a documentary about the titular band.
    It's a pretty bare bones docu, just interviews with all the band members, managers, label execs, and a few OG fans.
    I was transfixed.
    I mean they started in the mid-'70s and the ups and downs they endured were crazy.
    While I was never a fan of the band, yet like just about everybody else from the MTV generation, their ubiquitous hit "We're Not Gonna Take It" was unvoidable and stuck in my brain for years. FWIW, they were WAY heavier than that song would lead one to believe (heck, Lemmy from Motorhead was a fan).
    Without giving too much away, I learned that it took them 10 years to get signed, even though they were routinely selling out 3000+ venues on the East Coast and in the UK.
    This documentary is riviting just because it shows the tenacity these guys had and how f#$ked-up the record industry really can be.
    If you dig music, killer archival footage, and behind-the-scenes kind of stuff, this is a solid watch.

Last edited by dookey67; 06-02-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Dee at the congressional hearings was great. Smart dude for sure.

So, after watching that killer docu on Twisted Sister that oft-times annoying Amazon Prime feature popped up (you know, the box in the right hand corner that says "Up Next" and they queue some movie you've never heard of). At any rate what popped up with HIRED GUN, another music oriented docu.
    I started watching it and was immediately hooked.
    It's about session musicians and features OG folks like Billy Joel's original band, Kenny Aronoff and young(er) guns like Jason Hook (Five Finger Death Punch).
    It has some truly great moments recalled by Steve Lukather (Toto), Ray Parker, Jr., Alice Cooper, Brad Gillis, Jason Newstead, and many others.
    FWIW, Billy Joel, Trent Reznor, and Richard Patrick (Filter) all come off like complete douchebags/assholes in terms of how they treated their longtime bands/backing musicians.
    While at times a bit heavy-handed, it still unveils a lot of behind-the-scenes elements of what it means to be a musician behind the musician.
    Highly recommended.

Only other complaint is that they didn't include The Hooters since two of the founding members wrote, arranged, and played songs on Cyndi Lauper's debut album...

Otherwise, they included a nice cross-section of musicians from pretty much every genre of music (except, perhaps, jazz) and they had a great sampling of session musicians who love their jobs and those that thought they were taken advantage of by the stars who hired them. Very interesting dichotomy in regards to the whole lifestyle of being an in-demand session player.
    Also too bad that they didn't include any of Zappa's former band members since he was known to hire great musicians, but changed members of his backing band frequently (they have a few short clips with Steve Vai, but nothing major).

Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec

Watching “Patriot” right now...laughing a bunch. It’s oddly engrossing for such an illogical plot line

Gavin and Stacey.

Cult BBC comedy series co-written by James Corden.

Fucking hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Catastrophe is probably my favorite rom-com kinda show in a long time, if not ever. Love the blatant disfunction, yet resilience of that couple. Really puts things in perspective.

Catastrophe is probably my favorite rom-com kinda show in a long time, if not ever. Love the blatant disfunction, yet resilience of that couple. Really puts things in perspective.
    If you enjoyed disfunction of Catastrophe you'll probably also like Gavin & Stacey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Good Omens anyone?
    Like it, dont love it, but worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Good Omens anyone?
    Re-read the novel this week and am 4 episodes into the mini-series. Meh, is my response. The whole thing feels very rushed and I am not sold on many of the casting choices and costumes...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Good Omens anyone?
    Love the book but thought the show was boring and the ceaseless narration was very intrusive. BBC radio has a much better adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by mcb556 View Post
    Love the book but thought the show was boring and the ceaseless narration was very intrusive. BBC radio has a much better adaptation.
    The last 20-minutes or so of the final episode (episode 6) was actually really great and had some well-written, well-acted, and genuinely heartfelt moments...too bad they weren't able to capture that for the previous 5-and-3/4 episodes, which were manic, rushed, and just felt vapid.

Super bummed as I really, really, really dug the BBC production of Neverwhere (still the only Gaimen novel (of the ones I've read) that I've really, really enjoyed...