Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2017

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Sorry, I was thinking it was a pre ride on race day and you'd have to stay off the course. I get it now.

Prepare to be underwhelmed. Brim is fun and kind of flowy but the rest isn't that great. Whoever is building there is the king of making trail that feels like uphill, with no downhill, either direction. And for whatever reason there are lots of unnecessary, tight switchbacks. But feel free to post back here and tell me I'm wrong, it's very possible I'm the jaded local.
    i hope they didn't pay someone to make Britton's Ribbon. yuck.
    bumps are for poor people

Rode up the honeycomb road (just beyond the lift), and down the silver fork trail into town, then back to soli on the singletrack "dakari" or something. That's a nice little variation/mileage adder on a solitude ride. Passed 2 hikers and that was it.

Any more trails in that vein around the cottonwoods? Love FS not-built-for-mountain biking trails like that...assuming they don't climb 1000ft/mile.

Do Devil's Castle, Mandelbrot, and Snake Pit at Alta, they are a must-do. Catherine's is also excellent, but a stiff climb.

Days fork is a good one, not as tech-gnar as honeycomb/silver but a bit bigger and fast. Park at Spruces again and take the connector to Soli. Ride their singletrack up to the further east soli access rd to sol-bright(?), it’ll be a singletrack hike a bike on the L. Take a R to twin lakes pass then drop into the LCC side on a rough doubletrack. Keep an eye out for singletrrack on the R. This’ll be intermittent hike a bike. Keep going past Silver to Days.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Do Devil's Castle, Mandelbrot, and Snake Pit at Alta, they are a must-do. Catherine's is also excellent, but a stiff climb.
    aka Le Tour de Albion. If you don't want to go all the way to Catherine's Pass, just go up to the Castle Connector and take that back down to the Albion CG. Nice little side loop on your way to DC/Mandelbrot.

On the smaller, more random exploration-for-exploration's-sake side of things, I'll throw out Greens Basin, Willow Lake and the Spruces-Donut connector. The OSM layer in Trailforks is a good way to find stuff like that. White Pine-Snowbird connector is worthy.

On the bigger side of things, Alta Dry Fork GWT descent into AF Canyon is a must do. No easy way though. Either a big shuttle or a big slog up Mineral Basin back to LCC. Miller Hill area in/adjacent to Mineral Basin has some neat stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Keep going past Silver to Days.
    aka 3/4 of a mile of walking your bike along barely-there goat paths Worth it though.

Sol-Bright trail is neat but definitely HAB. Definitely slower than just suffering up the Summit Road, but you do go right by Twin Lakes Res. which is nice.

Great beta, thanks guys. I do love the Devil's Castle > Mandelbrot loop at Alta. That's a weeknight go-to for me. Summer road > heinously steep road > devils castle > mandelbrot > albion singletrack

I've hiked snake pit and don't think I'd want to be on a bike right there. I kinda suck

Really want to connect up to the BCC/LCC ridgeline at some point, but another 1.5 miles up the solitude summit road would kill me. HAB up the solbright ridge might be a more fun adventure.

I may have silicosis from being the slow guy in the group on mm->tommy two->mojahve->mm last night. Could use some precip stat!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Made plans to go explore the Tushars this weekend with my son and Grandpa, and now the forecast is for 50+ mph winds through 10 PM Saturday. Fuck!

Change of plans for this weekend. Staying extra day in MT, will ride Perry-Grizz-BL-skyline Sunday. If anyone interested in joining let me know. Will check thread Saturday, may not have coverage before then.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    I may have silicosis from being the slow guy in the group on mm->tommy two->mojahve->mm last night. Could use some precip stat!
    No shit. I can't take my poor dog anymore until we get some rain. He came home from a ride the other night and coughed/puked up dirt for over an hour.

Did a Tibble Fork shuttle this weekend. Think that's the best descent I've rode in the Wasatch this season. $$$

Can't believe how dusty everything is for, now, late September

Wasatch 2017

Also rode AF canyon Sunday. Some of those climbs are seriously character building with how many loose rocks there are right now. #prayforrain

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0931.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	247659

Shout out to the group climbing to white pine lake yesterday while I was hiking down. What a brutal climb that would be.

Payson Canyon trails seem to have been proper fucked by the Pole Creek/Bald Mountain fire. This sucks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26827345.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	370.9 KB 
ID:	247703

The handrails Draper put up on the Ghost Falls bridges are incredibly lame.

Popped my AFC cherry today and loved it. Rode Ridge 157 from summit to S Fork Little Deer Creek back to summit and then 157 to tibble fork DH. The tibble fork DH was probably my favorite 3 miles of trail this year. If you haven't ventured south before, I highly recommend it. Colors are close to peak right now, too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I love that descent from ridge 157 down into little deer creek. Tibble is awesome too with a shuttle. Heading up there shortly to take the dogs for a walk in the aspens. Unfortunately still trying to rest my sprained ankle so probably no riding for another week or so.

Well, you don't need a shuttle for Tibble. The Mill Canyon climb is pretty nice after the first half mile or so. Mill Canyon, 157, SFLDC, 157, Tibble DH figure 8 FTW.

I know. I think it goes from "fun" to "awesome" with a shuttle. JMHO.

Bummer about those Payson trails, they were really, really fun and didn't seem to see much traffic.

Those still-smoking burn areas are also about to get several inches of rain. It could get ugly down there.

Park City area folks: how are things looking on the Glenwild side? All mud or is stuff drying out? The I-80 webcams show no snow...

Ant farm and all the stuff in bobs basin good to go. Anything in the shade still muddy

The Facebook chatter says that the backside of Flying Dog is a muddy mess.

Ride the shaded stuff early when it’s still frozen, not when it’s muddy.